[ 2020 ] Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: [ 2020 ] Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

raymondu999 wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 10:08
I’m curious what people here think.

Andy Green has, to my knowledge, never worked in a top team. Team Silverstone, aka Jordan/Force India, however, has a history of punching heavier than their budget.

It’s one thing to be given more resources, with the new AM F1 factory, etc. But it’s another thing again to put those resources into the proper usage. I think with the new factory/facilities Aston will have the resources of a top team. But how will a tech team that has traditionally not had that level of resource — and correspondingly not produced top cars in the past — adapt to having to design top cars? What’s going to stop them, for lack of a smoother way of saying, become into another “Ferrari” where they definitely have the resources to compete at the front - but just underdeliver on their budget?
Well, you have 2 choices; replace him or keep him. If there is someone out there that is a guarantee and is available, then I guess you go get him. Does that exist? I don't think so. So far the whole "Trace Point" idea has worked like gang Buster's. It's firmly taken them out from the bottom of the midfield to fighting for the very top of the midfield. So I think he's earned the right to take it to the next step.

Big Tea

raymondu999 wrote:

Andy Green has, to my knowledge, never worked in a top team. Team Silverstone, aka Jordan/Force India, however, has a history of punching heavier than their budget.

It’s one thing to be given more resources, with the new AM F1 factory, etc. But it’s another thing again to put those resources into the proper usage. I think with the new factory/facilities Aston will have the resources of a top team. But how will a tech team that has traditionally not had that level of resource — and correspondingly not produced top cars in the past — adapt to having to design top cars? What’s going to stop them, for lack of a smoother way of saying, become into another “Ferrari” where they definitely have the resources to compete at the front - but just underdeliver on their budget?
You think maybe the lack of resource has helped 'focus'? We can not afford that, that, or that, so lets make this as good as we can?

I can see lack of options in some cases removing distractions, and less layers of 'uppers' making decisions easier.
The one man one vote. I'm the man and this is whats happening could save a lot of money, and all working to the same goal can be a definite advantage, but this team has always had a strong 'front man'
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

raymondu999

diffuser wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 10:22
raymondu999 wrote:

Well, you have 2 choices; replace him or keep him. If there is someone out there that is a guarantee and is available, then I guess you go get him. Does that exist? I don't think so. So far the whole "Trace Point" idea has worked like gang Buster's. It's firmly taken them out from the bottom of the midfield to fighting for the very top of the midfield. So I think he's earned the right to take it to the next step.
Gangbuster or not, that’s a managerial decision - wven if he took it, it’s not a “technical” decision, really. I think someone like a James Allison or a Newey or a James Key could be better poised but they’re most probably unavailable
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

Big Tea wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 11:38
You think maybe the lack of resource has helped 'focus'? We can not afford that, that, or that, so lets make this as good as we can?
That is certainly possible. Previously they had no leeway, no “opportunity” to waste resources.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

NL_Fer

raymondu999 wrote:

Paddy with all the knowledge of Merc AMG put his new Williams at the back of the grid. But James key is doing just fine in McL, after building Torro Rosso’s using Redbull designed listed parts. So it can swing both ways.

Andy Green has been great with his own cars, but also with the Tracing point. He shows he is flexible to me.

raymondu999

With Andy Green’s recent interview about Seb, it looks like Aston is committing to Seb more than Ferrari were with him. I wonder - will Seb try to poach people who he has enjoyed working with before? will he be given that leeway to make that “nest” around him?

I would think for example names such as Guillaume Rocquelin, James Allison, Adrian Newey would be people he would try for (not saying they would go with it, but I thjnk Seb would be a fool to not try)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

CjC
CjC

This is massive news.
However this is news that I didn’t want to hear
Just a fan's point of view

raymondu999

CjC wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 21:01
This is massive news.
Care to elaborate?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

CjC
CjC

raymondu999 wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 23:26
CjC wrote:
This is massive news.
Care to elaborate?
It’s for fanboy reasons really :lol:
The investment strengthens a direct rival to Mclaren
Just a fan's point of view

raymondu999

Ahhh ok lol. Fair enough
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Big Tea

CjC wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 09:15
raymondu999 wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 23:26
CjC wrote:
This is massive news.
Care to elaborate?
It’s for fanboy reasons really :lol:
The investment strengthens a direct rival to Mclaren
I thought you were seeing it as another link in Mercedes withdrawing as a team in their own right.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Racer X

I hope Racing Point realizes that this is the second time they make a pit decision that places Ricciardo on the podium.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

billamend

Which team has the worst strategists: Ferrari or RP?

NAPI10

RP is going downhill on all departmenmts....Sacked their best driver,Wrong strategy call every other race,Poor driver management(both driver contracted Covid).On top of that,Lance is going bad to worse with every race.
Hope they will hold on to 5th all thanks to Vettel.