[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

Marti_EF3 wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 19:28
Thoughts on that first Silverstone race? We will see any improvements with that aero issue? Or it's too little time to solve it since Hungary?
Long sweeping turns so should have stable aero if wind conditions are stable too.

I expect RBR to do well here. They will get their butts kicked by Merc though because of the power unit. But I expect an easy podium. Racing Point will not factor. My guess of course.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sieper

I agree with you on the aero. Less abrupt stopping and going (rake changes) In corners will likely see the car behave better. There are a few very long turns (f.e. Into the straights). But I actually do fear last years Merc with this years engine. Expect them to be mighty here. ---.

etusch

PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 21:01
Marti_EF3 wrote:
Thoughts on that first Silverstone race? We will see any improvements with that aero issue? Or it's too little time to solve it since Hungary?
Long sweeping turns so should have stable aero if wind conditions are stable too.

I expect RBR to do well here. They will get their butts kicked by Merc though because of the power unit. But I expect an easy podium. Racing Point will not factor. My guess of course.
I think your comment has paradoks in it. If mercedes will easily win not because of car but because of pu, then why not racing point can not come second easily with same pu + last year mercedes chassis or something like that ?

JordanMugen

etusch wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 23:19
I think your comment has paradoks in it. If mercedes will easily win not because of car but because of pu, then why not racing point can not come second easily with same pu + last year mercedes chassis or something like that ?
Paradox - singular
Paradoxes - plural

The advantage of 25 hp more plus a superior chassis and aerodynamics, which Mercedes have, is hard to beat!

That doesn't mean the Honda power unit is poor or responsible for Red Bull's lack of pace. Red Bull comparative lack of pace is of course mainly due to minimal cornering improvement compared to 2019 to this point, mainly due to aerodynamic faults which were not yet fixed at first three rounds. :)

godlameroso

JordanMugen wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 23:42
etusch wrote:
Paradox - singular
Paradoxes - plural

The advantage of 25 hp more plus a superior chassis and aerodynamics, which Mercedes have, is hard to beat!

That doesn't mean the Honda power unit is poor or responsible for Red Bull's lack of pace. Red Bull comparative lack of pace is of course mainly due to minimal cornering improvement compared to 2019 to this point, mainly due to aerodynamic faults which were not yet fixed at first three rounds. :)
The power unit gains have essentially nullified the loss in cornering performance from last year. When they recover their cornering performance there's another .3 easy, maybe more.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

etusch wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 21:01
Marti_EF3 wrote:

RBR chassis/aero 9.5/10
Merc chassis/aero 10/10
RP chassis/aero 7/10

Honda PU 9/10
Merc PU 10/10

Merc car... 10/10
RBR car..... 9.25/10
RP car 8.5/10

In other words RB aero will be stable and working well but Merc just that bit ahead.

The Merc power unit will add to that lead. Keeping RB at arms length.

The racing point has strong power unit to catch RB a bit but not good enough chassis/aero to threaten for podium.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GhostF1
GhostF1

godlameroso wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 02:08
JordanMugen wrote:
etusch wrote:
Paradox - singular
Paradoxes - plural

The power unit gains have essentially nullified the loss in cornering performance from last year. When they recover their cornering performance there's another .3 easy, maybe more.
This.
I find it quite strange that a lot of people are giving Honda flack for the performance issues at the moment.. especially considering they are at worst 2nd best. They have actually come out and said the PU is performing on track exactly as expected from their dyno's, and they believe they are beyond Merc's 2019 PU in terms of performance. This is pretty clear based on the fact Top 10 in speed traps are all 6 Merc's and all 4 Honda's, so it's across all teams using them and their average race speeds (should be mentioned this was where they said they focused a lot of attention on) is actually level pegging with the 2020 Merc PU's.

Merc finding another level in ultimate performance terms, in qualifying especially, with their PU is something no one was expecting, although whether or not it will be a reliable unit over the course of this season remains to be seen. Red Bull need to sort the RB16's aero gremlins out to find that .3-.5 of a second this season (a good sign Marko thinks they've uncovered the culprit) and Honda need to push even more to catch this moving target for their 2021 engine.

etusch

JordanMugen wrote:
etusch wrote:
Paradox - singular
Paradoxes - plural

Thank you @JordanMugen.

Sieper

Newey has only said he thinks he knows what the problem is. 1 It is not sure that is the problem (if it even is a matter of just one, there could be a few (or a lot) but OK, lets say one causes the majority of the issue). 2 If he understands the problem correctly it does not mean yet they he figured out the correct/best solution, or if it is even fixable at all.

windtunnel and CFD is one thing, a moving car on track a whole different beast.

Plus they only said they will bring some aero changes that might already resolve a part of the issue (or not) but they also said the performance difference will not be solved by some margin. In fact, that is what they said "we do not expect the gap to close considerably, but, there is always a but , we do have some new parts"

Lock2nl
Lock2nl

There is good piece information about this issue here : https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/51739796

One of the things you will find here is the following text about the vortices creaed by the J-vane or cape, as well as the y250 vortex itself:
To create a car that really handles well, consistent positioning of the vortices is vital.
Regardless of whether the car is driving through crosswinds, rolling around corners, or bumping over kerbs, it is important that each vortex stays as close to the optimal position as possible. Otherwise, the amount of downforce, and hence grip, the car has will change from corner to corner, and lap to lap.
This is one thing drivers hate because it affects their confidence and trust in what the car will do, and makes it harder for them to extract the most from the car. It is here that some of the pros and cons of the cape verses the J vane start to emerge.
They introduced the cape for the first time at RB. It looks like this is what Marko meant to say: The did not copy -the desired effects of- the Mercedes nose well enough.

Changing the nose + cape or cape only will most likely influence the bardgeboard area behind it. But we do not know whether it's only the cape or the bardge board area of both where things go wrong. Worst case scenario is that modifications are needed on both. And that takes time.
I would predict a modified cape and some smaller changes in the bardge board area to start with at Silverstone. Possibly, the changes are into two different directions: one on Max' car, the other on the RB16 of Alex during FP1. From there, they could decide to go for the one or the other.

About the flexing parts: I do not think the flexing itself is a causal factor. It is merely a result of losing underpressure under car at some point and gaining it at another. That causes the flexing back and forth/up and down. If they stabilize the creation of downforce, it will still flex though. But it will flex more continously and as it was meant to.

Wouter

Lock2nl wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 13:27
There is good piece information about this issue here : https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/51739796

They introduced the cape for the first time at RB. It looks like this is what Marko meant to say: The did not copy -the desired effects of- the Mercedes nose well enough.

Changing the nose + cape or cape only will most likely influence the bardgeboard area behind it. But we do not know whether it's only the cape or the bardge board area of both where things go wrong. Worst case scenario is that modifications are needed on both. And that takes time.
I would predict a modified cape and some smaller changes in the bardge board area to start with at Silverstone. Possibly, the changes are into two different directions: one on Max' car, the other on the RB16 of Alex during FP1. From there, they could decide to go for the one or the other.

About the flexing parts: I do not think the flexing itself is a causal factor. It is merely a result of losing underpressure under car at some point and gaining it at another. That causes the flexing back and forth/up and down. If they stabilize the creation of downforce, it will still flex though. But it will flex more continously and as it was meant to.

Well, great information. Thank you @Lock2nl!
The Power of Dreams!

etusch

it's google translate
After the first three Grands Prix it is clear that Mercedes is the team to beat. Hoping to battle the German team, Aston Martin Red Bull Racing is bringing new updates for the RB16 to Britain.

In particular during qualifying in Hungary, Red Bull was still short. Max: “It remains to be seen how much progress we have made since Hungary. But it is not an issue that we solved for a week. Mercedes is of course dominant. It is difficult to estimate in advance how big our backlog will be. It can be two tenths or a whole second…. I hope we are within half a beat, that would be good here. ”

Father Jos Verstappen started in 106 Grands Prix. A milestone that Max equals at Silverstone this weekend, but the Dutchman is not concerned with that: “My father really doesn't care and I don't care either,” Max laughs.

https://www.verstappen.com/nl/article/1 ... 6N8omsoB9g

ME4ME

Asked by Motorsport.com about what the team had learned since the last race, Verstappen said: “I think we are still learning, we're bringing a lot of new parts to the car. They are different parts, to see what works, what doesn't, and where we can still improve. I mean this is of course not from one week to the other that it is going to be solved.
Doesn't sound like they have narrowed it down all to much does it? Certainly not definitely solved the issue.

godlameroso

Understanding the issue is step 1. Step 2 is validating your suspicions via testing. Introduce rapid prototype parts, see if your understanding is correct, then implement the changes. Validate that changes made work as intended, then follow that development path. The whole process can last anywhere from 1 to 3 months. We are one month in, so maybe things are a little better since season start, but real progress won't be seen till mid August.
Saishū kōnā

Wouter

Max after the PC in conversation with the Dutch press.

Red Bull is of course working hard on the RB16 and has also brought new parts to Silverstone, but there is no question of a fix that solved all the problems (as suggested in some media). "I don't think we figured everything out all of a sudden," he says in conversation with the Dutch media, including FORMULA 1. "You don't do that in a week."

"I think things are going in the right direction, I think", Verstappen continues. A number of the new parts are certainly an improvement, he says. "However, we also have things that serve more to find ideas for which way to go."
In addition, there is still work to be done on the setup, he says: "We need to learn more about what works best in terms of tuning."

Verstappen finds it difficult to say what it all directly yields in lap time. "It would be good if we were within half a second of Mercedes." However, he does not dare to say that this will also be the case. “It really cannot be said. It can be two tenths, half a second, a whole second… ”.
At the same time, he thinks Mercedes has still not shown what it really has - in the race. "I don't think we've seen how fast they can really go into the race."
“They often drive to certain lap times. They spare the tires. If they really have to, they might go a second faster. ” The catch up that Red Bull must deliver, he knows, is therefore a matter of long haul. "It's not going to be easy to catch up with Mercedes," he admits.
The Power of Dreams!