[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NL_Fer

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

Marti_EF3 wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 18:26
The PU is helping RBR to perform better. Was in Austria, and it's the same here. In Hungary where power is not important... Surprise!
I am still not convinced the powerunit is that good RedBull has been developing the car for an underperforming powerunit since ‘14. The rear wing is so low-drag it makes any powerunit look better, but also makes the more unstable.

I’m not saying Honda is doing a bad job though.

Marti_EF3

NL_Fer wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 19:21
Marti_EF3 wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 18:26
The PU is helping RBR to perform better. Was in Austria, and it's the same here. In Hungary where power is not important... Surprise!
I am still not convinced the powerunit is that good RedBull has been developing the car for an underperforming powerunit since ‘14. The rear wing is so low-drag it makes any powerunit look better, but also makes the more unstable.

I’m not saying Honda is doing a bad job though.
I'm not saying it's a beast, but at least is helping on power sensitive tracks. Look where are the Ferrari customer teams here. And in race pace Honda seems to perform even better. But I saw Max doing a lot of corrections at the middle section of the corners. At least they admited they have a problem on the chasis/aero side, not like Mclaren when the Honda days. Hope it helps to work hard and bring a good 2021,if not, will be boring as hell

Jaisonas

Time to get the late 2019 car, stick the new Honda in it and call it a day... New car is just not working

godlameroso

New car is half a second faster in race pace than it was last year, I don't understand how it qualifies worse? Also, fuel and ERS over a race distance is a factor which will naturally limit pace. Mercedes is still miles ahead but it'll be closer in the race, for sure.
Last edited by godlameroso on 01 Aug 2020, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

Hammerfist

Imo the pu has very little to do with their lack of form. I just feel like the car is very edgy, hard to drive and very difficult to unlock in qualifying. In race pace they are still about half a sec off though but it’s better.

Bill

Let's not distort facts here the Redbull are running low downforce rear wing to make the pierce of crap chassis drivable not to help weak pu the moment they add more downforce you would see drivers spinning and losing control of car.yes the best part of their package is Max and pu

If they were to use last year car with the development done since last year silverstone on the pu and aero I think they would probably go 0.5 tenth quicker.

etusch

SmallSoldier

Bill wrote:Let's not distort facts here the Redbull are running low downforce rear wing to make the pierce of crap chassis drivable not to help weak pu the moment they add more downforce you would see drivers spinning and losing control of car.yes the best part of their package is Max and pu

If they were to use last year car with the development done since last year silverstone on the pu and aero I think they would probably go 0.5 tenth quicker.
Actually, if you want to make the chassis more compliant, you would run more rear wing to get more downforce and therefore more predictability from the rear of the car

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

McMika98

Bill wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 19:54
Let's not distort facts here the Redbull are running low downforce rear wing to make the pierce of crap chassis drivable not to help weak pu the moment they add more downforce you would see drivers spinning and losing control of car.yes the best part of their package is Max and pu

Slight correction, if they opted for higher downforce then the car would be more driveable and faster in quali but slower in race distance. Ferrari clearly have high downforce for one lap performance, expect them to be sitting ducks down the straight tomorrow.
The major upgrade on this years car was the suspension arrangement which supposedly was so ingenious that no one could copy. Guess no one is ever going to copy at this rate.

Revs84

McMika98 wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 20:36
Bill wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 19:54

Slight correction, if they opted for higher downforce then the car would be more driveable and faster in quali but slower in race distance. Ferrari clearly have high downforce for one lap performance, expect them to be sitting ducks down the straight tomorrow.
The major upgrade on this years car was the suspension arrangement which supposedly was so ingenious that no one could copy. Guess no one is ever going to copy at this rate.
If you look at the speed trap, Leclerc was actually faster. Top speed, he was down just 2km/h from Verstappen.

XRayF1

Where is Mr. Marko in all this?
I mean it is evident that Merc did a better job than RBR in every aspect, and there seems to be no reasonable response from anyone higher up in RB's hierarchy than 'we have to look into it'.

He was making a few statements in Austrian TV ('Servus TV' Mateschitz' own broadcasting station) just before AUT1 that RBR would be close to first on the grid based on the assumption that RBR gained more throughout the year than starting from a high.
And as COVID let the season start very late ...

So, where is he?
Hoping that he is fine physically, he seems rather close mouthed.

JordanMugen

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 20:30
Actually, if you want to make the chassis more compliant, you would run more rear wing to get more downforce and therefore more predictability from the rear of the car
But Red Bull has an understeer problem, that would make the understeer problem worse...

Lots of rear wing can be a bandaid for high speed instability, but makes the car plough like mad in medium to slow speed corners. :(

McMika98 wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 20:36
Will AlphaTauri have a choice? They get the hand-me-downs whether they want them or not, don't they? :P

JordanMugen

XRayF1 wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 21:12
Where is Mr. Marko in all this?
I mean it is evident that Merc did a better job than RBR in every aspect, and there seems to be no reasonable response from anyone higher up in RB's hierarchy than 'we have to look into it'.
Well what can he do? It's not his job to fix it. It's the job of Mr. Fallows, chief aerodynamicist, Mr. Newey, chief designer, and Mr. Wache, technical director (mainly suspension & tyres).

Red Bull places their faith in the long-standing brains trust of Newey, Fallows, Wache to fix the technical issues!

If they need an "all-new" brains trust, that is not the work of a moment... :wink:

JordanMugen

NL_Fer wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 19:21
The refusal of Mercedes-Benz to supply Aston Martin power units to Red Bull Racing since 2016's Aston Martin sponsorship began is bad for the sport, the lack of support shown by Mercedes-Benz to Aston Martin's Formula One racing activity is galling -- especially when Mercedes' support suddenly is far greater when it is Racing Point and not Red Bull promoting Aston Martin, utterly bizarre. :roll:

But I don't think the power unit is Red Bull's number one problem at the moment!