[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Marti_EF3

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

He seems to be driving a strange line on some turns at S3... :roll:

Capharol

Wouter wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 21:41
Capharol wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 21:18
https://i.imgur.com/DIXhdLx.png

thanks to @f1debrief
@Capharol, wasn't it you who repeatedly said that it is not about the times during testing,
but about driving as many laps as possible in one day? :wink: I agree.
Well, he did a lot of laps, 168! that is what matters, but thanks for these times.
Times currently say nothing at all.
well i didn't do that timetable, but its about how consistence he did his laptimes.
and secondly i posted this for those who wanted to know the laptimes.

so i still don't care about laptimes, just providing others here with information or is that forbidden because i said i don't look at laptimes?

etusch

Today Verstappen made 790 km milage and car must finish 1666 km per day for finishing 5000 km in 3 days. So it looks imposible. Whole 6 days of testing is only way to reach this km. I think Honda choose to change engine for second 3 days and inpect condition of engine used first test days

TNTHead

Juzh wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 22:22
Verstappen onboards and some off-board shots from day 1 morning session:

#1 verstappen 2020 testing D1S1 1.19.557
#2 verstappen 2020 testing D1S1
Notice how from this point onwards the car is getting worse and worse with under/oversteer as the tires get older and older

#3 verstappen 2020 testing D1S1
#4 verstappen 2020 testing D1S1
Really nice and insightful, thanks. The cars looks quite planted if u ask me.

I was also wondering, is it true that the front wing of the RB16 is less loaded at the outside, like a hybrid between last year and a Ferrari style wing?

Wouter

Capharol wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 22:53
Wouter wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 21:41
Capharol wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 21:18
https://i.imgur.com/DIXhdLx.png

thanks to @f1debrief
@Capharol, wasn't it you who repeatedly said that it is not about the times during testing,
but about driving as many laps as possible in one day? :wink: I agree.
Well, he did a lot of laps, 168! that is what matters, but thanks for these times.
Times currently say nothing at all.
well i didn't do that timetable, but its about how consistence he did his laptimes.
and secondly i posted this for those who wanted to know the laptimes.

so i still don't care about laptimes, just providing others here with information or is that forbidden because i said i don't look at laptimes?
You take my message as criticism, but that's not how it is meant to be @Caph.
I laughed because you came up with numbers when you said they weren't important.
Haven't you seen my wink? I have even thanked you for the lap times, because I know
that many people do appreciate lap times.
The Power of Dreams!

Jaisonas

Seems like they tested some high power modes as well. Nice exhaust bangs as usual. @6:44

godlameroso

Marti_EF3 wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 22:30
He seems to be driving a strange line on some turns at S3... :roll:
That red bull suspension at work, he has no problem going over the pianos on the exit of turn 5. Even with worn tires the car seems still seems to respond well to his inputs, just harder to drive. The car is already much faster, even if the track is faster than in the race, the difference from the first day of testing shows a clear improvement. Right now they have no reason to sand bag because no one is trying. We already know what the best should be capable of, and in these conditions we'll see someone get a high 15 glory run, but that won't be anywhere near good enough for pole.
Saishū kōnā

etusch

What do you think about merc's new system and Redbull reaction to it ? Will/Can they copy that before the season start?

I am not sure if it is legal or not but if Fia want to set limited budget to teams and if they will ban this system after this year they have to ban it not next year but they have to ban it this year. Because banning it next year is obviously supporting mercedes. And banning it for 2021 is opening a way to put much mony on a system to be banned. Whatever, in every condition; if Fia is fair to teams, they must immidiately declare it legal or illegal to allow other teams to see path they have to take...

godlameroso

Honestly it's effect is minimal on it's own, on its own it's a gimmick as far as I'm concerned. Red Bull was faster than Mercedes in the very slow speed corners without gimmicks in the second half of last year. This year's car is much better in the high speed corners, and has more grunt to overcome added drag from more downforce. If we look at the long runs the Red Bull's pace is already there in these early days. Consistent low 20's and mid to high 19's from both Albon and Verstappen. If Mercedes gains an advantage from their gimmick so be it, I feel that the Red Bull will be up there regardless. Again, Verstappen is good enough to fight for the championship if the car is within .2
Saishū kōnā

etusch

I also have a good feeling that Redbull is at least level of Mercedes. I am looking onboard drives and many time Redbull drivers drive very relax, like they are on the rails. I think they can be faster easily.

TNTHead

godlameroso wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 22:57
Honestly it's effect is minimal on it's own, on its own it's a gimmick as far as I'm concerned. Red Bull was faster than Mercedes in the very slow speed corners without gimmicks in the second half of last year. This year's car is much better in the high speed corners, and has more grunt to overcome added drag from more downforce. If we look at the long runs the Red Bull's pace is already there in these early days. Consistent low 20's and mid to high 19's from both Albon and Verstappen. If Mercedes gains an advantage from their gimmick so be it, I feel that the Red Bull will be up there regardless. Again, Verstappen is good enough to fight for the championship if the car is within .2
I also think it is a gimmick or with a negligible effect. I suspect them to try it so openly just to try to destabilise the testing efforts of other teams, or as part of the psychological warfare. It spices up the testing by drawing a bit more attention. In that way it is already a successful 'innovation' :D
Although it might have some benefits on tyre wear, we'll see.

godlameroso

Honestly I haven't been paying attention to Mercedes too much. I know their long runs don't look all that impressive, but they could be sand bagging. Even if they're sand bagging, they'd have to be sand bagging by 2 seconds to worry me.
Saishū kōnā

bulldog

Juzh wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 22:22
Verstappen onboards and some off-board shots from day 1 morning session:

#1 verstappen 2020 testing D1S1 1.19.557
https://streamable.com/vexhp

#2 verstappen 2020 testing D1S1
https://streamable.com/7d8br

Notice how from this point onwards the car is getting worse and worse with under/oversteer as the tires get older and older

#3 verstappen 2020 testing D1S1
https://streamable.com/t7p1d

#4 verstappen 2020 testing D1S1
https://streamable.com/y48ek
Nice credit thanks.

Snorked

Honda swapped Albon's PU after Sakura worries. Engine was checked and will run again tomorrow.

https://f1-gate.com/honda/f1_55106.html

Wouter

https://en.hondaracingf1.com/insights/2 ... 01-02.html

TOYOHARU TANABE
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR, HONDA RACING F1

For the second day of testing, our work followed on from what we did yesterday, with functionality checks as well as beginning to work on optimising our PU settings based on yesterday’s feedback and data. Just before the lunch break, our engineers working in Sakura spotted something on the dyno and suggested that, as a precaution, we remove the PU from Alex’s car to carry out a physical examination. We therefore replaced it for the afternoon. A thorough check revealed no issues and that first PU will be back in the car tomorrow. We lost some track time, but not much and Alex still managed to complete 134 laps today. Pierre did 147 laps, the second highest number on the day. Overall another solid day’s work with plenty more data to study.
The Power of Dreams!