[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

Has it been the same PU that has caused all of the issues Max has had or has it been with both of them (I haven't seen anything about them being on the 3rd PU yet). If I recall correctly Austria was not a PU issue...

Verstappen complained of an engine issue on his way to the grid but team boss Christian Horner confirmed the Dutchman’s lack of power at the start of the race was a completely different issue.

“No, the issue on the grid was something different, Horner said. “It was to do with the rear light, it was nothing to do with the actual power unit but on the formation lap everything looked OK and then suddenly there was this big electrical issue just after the start. He got a great initial launch, he did the hard bit, he was ahead of Lewis.”
I noticed the view behind Max at the start as he began pulling next to Lewis the derate light started flashing. So what "rear light" issue would not be related to the PU?

Revs84

1158 wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 18:44
Has it been the same PU that has caused all of the issues Max has had or has it been with both of them (I haven't seen anything about them being on the 3rd PU yet). If I recall correctly Austria was not a PU issue...
I might be wrong here but if I'm not mistaken:

1. Issue in Austria was related to some flywheel/sensor issue on PU1. It didn't seem to be purely PU related but I might be wrong.
2. PU2 was changed in Barcelona to PU1 due to 'anomalies' in data.

After that, again if I'm not mistaken, PU2 was first used again in Monza and was subject to two issues.

3. PU2 used in Monza and suffered some overheating. Max retired.
4. PU2 used in Mugello and, again, another issue.

Hence why I'm suspecting that there's some gremlins roaming within PU2.

In normal circumstances, Honda would have given Max a new PU - especially since they were talking about PU management. My suspicion is that they have an updated PU coming soon - whatever that might include - so they were holding out. As mentioned, it's only my suspicion.

After two consecutive DNFs though, update or not, I surely expect Max to get a new unit for Sochi.

Revs84

1158 wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 18:58
Verstappen complained of an engine issue on his way to the grid but team boss Christian Horner confirmed the Dutchman’s lack of power at the start of the race was a completely different issue.

“No, the issue on the grid was something different, Horner said. “It was to do with the rear light, it was nothing to do with the actual power unit but on the formation lap everything looked OK and then suddenly there was this big electrical issue just after the start. He got a great initial launch, he did the hard bit, he was ahead of Lewis.”
I noticed the view behind Max at the start as he began pulling next to Lewis the derate light started flashing. So what "rear light" issue would not be related to the PU?
I heard him say that as well in the post race interview, and like you, I was quite baffled. To me it seemed like the rear light was flashing due to the PU stopping deployment and starting to harvest energy.

Would make sense seeing that he had software issues and how he suddenly fell back through the field.

But what do we know... :?:

mem

GhostF1 wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 18:21

Ahh, said by someone who merely reads the results page and totally ignores actual happenings within the sport, the team, the car etc.
well its 9-0 in qualy for Max and its first podium for Albon after 19 races in RBR and the RB16 is the second best car on the grid how about that ?

He has time and again proven he has outstanding racecraft when given a car that isn't wayward. He proved it last year and is now starting to prove it again as the team fix the issues with the car.
prove what ? just few weeks ago he was breaking down and crying after the race on the radio.

People expect a Max Verstappen/Lewis Hamilton style driver to just appear out of nowhere and be placed in car 2 and anything less is totally unacceptable. It's pretty ridiculous. And the answer is not changing drivers every 3 months thinking that will solve it. You need stability in the team, especially when dealing with a car that is arguably a stagnant model that hasn't improved over last year's car. One of Alex's strengths is feedback and steering the cars development, as Christian just emphasised after the race.
yeah thats why Hornor called perez asking about his plans

Anyway, he's clearly making improvements and has been on a pretty steep upward trend over the last few races. That's a good path to be on.
in Monza finished 14 (broken floor) ,in Belgium he finished sixth behind the 2 Renault , in Spain finished eighth behind 2 RP one Mclaren and one Ferrari , in silver stone 2 finished fifth behind a Ferrari , in silverstone 1 he finished eighth behind one Ferrari 2 Renault one Mclaren and one Alpha Tauri

As for hanging behind the RP and the Renault... They literally just said after the race they were biding their time and saving the tyres to go long on the soft and kept their distance to preserve the tyres. Standard race practice. We can clearly see when tyre saving is not an issue he can sail past as seen in the final restart. How about we don't twist and talk nonsense to fit a negative agenda.
i have no agenda and couldn't care less you won't prevent me from saying my own opinion
i really didn't want to say that specially after his first podium but you asked for it.

McMika98

mem wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 19:15
i really didn't want to say that specially after his first podium but you asked for it
Max is a generational talent with vast experience but you can see what happens if the engine cant give a decent launch and when bunched up with midfield. Since the engine regs change, Maxs hasn't had a proper race and when he does it will be interesting how much he can follow the Merc.

Jaisonas

Watching Verstappen's onboard and well the car was done from the grid. The engine barely started and it almost stalled after he did the clutch bite find.

Sieper

Max had already gotten Lewis, it was a fine start, just as mudflap said though, the mgu-k failed to kick in at 100kmh and so he was down 120kw. For the rest of the straight. Then he got taken out due to no fault of his own. Hopefully this problem can be dealt with over the next two weeks. Max had It also in both starts at Monza. But still he was faster the Bottas in the rest of stint 1.

godlameroso

Likely a battery sensor went wonky, though there was no charge and kicked the MGU-K into regen.

This one is on Honda and I think they know it. On to the next one, if I know Honda, not only will they sort this out but will improve.

Sochi is a difficult track for Honda, so hopefully they can bounce back. The work they did on the FW has paid off, now they can produce some new bits downstream that work with the new development. Hopefully have it ready for the next race.

Unless Verstappen starts winning everything from here on out, the championship is as good as over.

Only thing left is to make sure they're in a better position to start next year.
Saishū kōnā

etusch

Sieper wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 20:34
Max had already gotten Lewis, it was a fine start, just as mudflap said though, the mgu-k failed to kick in at 100kmh and so he was down 120kw. For the rest of the straight. Then he got taken out due to no fault of his own. Hopefully this problem can be dealt with over the next two weeks. Max had It also in both starts at Monza. But still he was faster the Bottas in the rest of stint 1.
My theory is; when mgu-k stops helping, max pushed overtake button for getting mgu-k help but forgot to shift up. I think in this way because it seems to me that speed difference were a bit too much after that point between max and others.

proteus

godlameroso wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 21:08
Likely a battery sensor went wonky, though there was no charge and kicked the MGU-K into regen.

This one is on Honda and I think they know it. On to the next one, if I know Honda, not only will they sort this out but will improve.

Sochi is a difficult track for Honda, so hopefully they can bounce back. The work they did on the FW has paid off, now they can produce some new bits downstream that work with the new development. Hopefully have it ready for the next race.

Unless Verstappen starts winning everything from here on out, the championship is as good as over.

Only thing left is to make sure they're in a better position to start next year.
Listening to Max and his radio transmitions for few races now, it sounds more or less the same as he ranted over Renault power, and if we draw the line the results arent any better either. Only positive is they are getting these engines for free.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

godlameroso

Looking at the speed range of corners, I predict RB will struggle massively in sector 3.

A driver will always want more power, Max's frustration is understood.

Unfortunately nothing can be done about it until next year.

If Honda wants to bounce back they need to make sure drivabilty is at its best as throttle control is key to the slow sector 3 in Sochi.
Saishū kōnā

bigblue

https://en.hondaracingf1.com/races/2020 ... racereview
Although Max had an excellent launch off the grid, he immediately experienced a PU problem that dropped him down the pack. At Honda, we will now be working to identify the exact cause of this issue to ensure it does not happen again.

TNTHead

proteus wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 21:16
godlameroso wrote:

Listening to Max and his radio transmitions for few races now, it sounds more or less the same as he ranted over Renault power, and if we draw the line the results arent any better either. Only positive is they are getting these engines for free.
I think it is fair to say that any championship aspirations by RB for this season are gone after this race. How can you be a contender when you have a reliability rate of only 66%? I know it is highly advanced and complicated technology, so you have to have thousands of things right to get it working, but still the front runners have a reliability of 100%.First we had unstable aero in low DF trim, and now this.

I really dont see how Max can be champion with RB, at least not 'till 2022. Come 2022 RB needs to have a sizeable aero advantage, otherwise it will still be playing catch up. I really wonder if RB will be able to keep Max, as an outsider I think they need to turn around some processes which seem to happen over and over again. They are a great team, but this cant happen twice if you are serious about challenging Mercedes.

On the other hand Albon showed great skills and also pace with the car, so not all is lost. Glad for him to have his first podium. As a person I think he is may be a better fit than Gasly, being a bit more mature and as declared by the team good in his feedback.

Wouter

godlameroso wrote:
Didn't they say the same thing last week? We will sort this out en will improve? #-o
I am a big Honda fan, but I wonder what they are doing right now.
Why didn't Max get a new PU for this weekend as a precaution?
Then they would have had the time to check everything about this engine.
I think he could have won the race today. :(
The Power of Dreams!