[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JordanMugen

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

diffuser wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 23:37
Yep McLaren/Renault didn't change PU and are closer to RBR than ever before. Sounds like that .2 isn't showing up in lap time.
Lack of improvement of RBR is due to poor balance of the chassis, not due to lack of improvement of PU...

restless

Sieper wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 19:57
Both Ferrari as well as RBR have a stronger second driver than Mercedes.
You think Bottas, who from time to time beats Hamilton for pole or (rarely) in race is worse driver than Gasly/Albon/Vettel?

godlameroso

ispano6 wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 12:18
GhostF1 wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 08:48
diffuser wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 05:36

Come on now, what's with the -1.....Some people.... I'll even it out.

Oh come on, they almost never drive to the limit in races for a variety of reasons, tires fuel,etc.
No... but they are pushing the engines to the maximum they think they're capable of to survive 6 or so race weekends, and it's pretty clear that the sustained race mode is Honda's strong suit.

And I know that any race ending issue is counted towards reliability and a retirement is a retirement, but it should be pointed out that these weird electrical gremlins on Max's car have not caused the engines to sustain any damage and have been put back into the pool, all 3 occasions. As far as I'm aware, Honda have all their engines alive across all 4 cars which is pretty impressive and these small electrical rubbish problems are creating a more negative air in the press than perhaps is warranted.. I find it interesting Horner addresses the issues as electronic and that he will be conveying to Max what "Red Bull AND Honda have done to ensure it will not happen again".

To me it's looking pretty likely now they've been trying something on only Max's car which is probably hovering in a grey area (as the FIA ruled all four Honda engines must be run in the same mode), and it's now proven to be too risky and causes some sort of electrical hiccup sporadically. Explains why Horner and Tanabe were confident it wouldn't happen on his car again and will convey this to Max.

Will be interesting to hear what Honda say when they're asked about it soon.
In the Sept issue of Auto Sport magazine (not to be mistaken with autosport.com) it's mentioned the RA620H is using technology from Kumabou Metals (a company which touts their plating material has anti-static properties). It's through this innovation that they've been able to build a much more robust PU that won't blow like we saw during the McLaren Honda hybrid years. But the phrase anti-static had me thinking...
In Oct issue of F1 Sokuho Asaki states that they were able to turn around the issue in Monza in a very short period of time and that it was a shame that they couldn't show for it in the Mugello race. It's been said by Tanabe that from the outside the issues look similar but Asaki's comments seem to support that the issues aren't the same. It was mentioned in Mugello that RedBull are developing the floor (and I think the tub as well) and I wonder if something to do with the electronic system is affected by it. One thing that I ponder is with the RedBull cars and how they are always scraping the ground and the sparks that are produced from the leading edge of the plank. Can this generate static electricity in an undesirable(yet intentional) way? It's been mentioned here almost a decade ago about the effects of static electricity in F1 cars and the use of electrostatic/ionic means to influence downforce with low-drag. It's not out of the realm of possibilities, but one poster mentioned here a theory that RedBull had experimented with this back in 2011 and hypothesized KERS failures attributed to it. In more recent studies it's been shown that static electricity is generated from materials as it travels through air. Is the front nose doing something to create static electricity and does the car concept leverage "ionic wind" that are difficult to manage?
In the Sept Auto Sport, there was a paragraph that mentioned that before the RedBull collaboration that Honda was told to just make the best PU they can and that RB would adapt it as best they can but as the relationship developed into a partnership where they could speak their minds freely to each other that the RB16 would require much more concerted integration. Something peculiar is going on in the RB16 that is for sure. Electrostatic discharge?
Why was RB so strong in sector 3 of Mugello? All weekend long Verstappen was fastest in sector 3, particularly turn 15. In the race Riccardo commented that Albon was incredibly strong in turn 15. During the Silverstone race, Albon himself commented how strong the car was during the race through 6 & 7. Contrast that to how weak the car was in Monza through the parabolica and the two lesmos, Verstappen flying off track in Ascari. The car was supreme under braking and through the chicanes. The car seems to be weak in short corners vs long corners, in long corners the instability makes up a smaller percentage of the corner. Where as in short corners with a quick apex the instability is too much of a handicap. Much like the downforce on the rear wing takes some time to come back after the DRS flap is closed, so too the downforce on the car takes a bit of time to come back but is very strong when it is there. Long corners mask this to an extent.

To be honest I expected them to struggle more in the first sector than they actually did. Whether it was the heat helping, or the developments being introduced, in both qualifying and the race they were competitive, but the issue was still somewhat there.

Sochi will be a big test, the corners are not long but rather very sharp quick apexes.

If RB is using some sort of static airflow control any airflow attachment lag will be obvious on this track.
Saishū kōnā

etusch

restless wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 15:47
Sieper wrote:
You think Bottas, who from time to time beats Hamilton for pole or (rarely) in race is worse driver than Gasly/Albon/Vettel?
for sure he is. Gasly and Albon could beat Ham more than Bottas and Vettel would be Wdc contender with ham. Harder rival than Rosberg

Sieper

restless wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 15:47
Sieper wrote:
Yes I do. Vettel has even proven it with numbers, Albon has much better racecraft and is quick in the race. Just not as quick as Verstappen.

make no mistake here, Bottas isn't as quick as Hamilton (in race) neither, and his racecraft is clumsy for the most part, but since Hamilton is already out in front he has no need to go faster and can save his engine whilst Max is always trying to keep pace with Mercs. Why Bottas is so close to Hamilton in qualy is a question to me. I feel Hamilton should beat him with more time in between (as he sometimes still does). but lets then grant Bottas quick qualy, which is generous. Still doesn't make him better then Vettel or Albon. I do rate Albon slightly higher then Gasly, foremost because of his racecraft.

And -edit- this now reads if I think Vettel and Albon are much better then Bottas, that is not the case, Vettel ought to be, he did win 4 WDCs and there certainly also was merit involved. Albon I think will probably beat Bottas over a season in the same car.

etusch

In normal logic, Gasly and Albon, theorically, can beat Hamilton for Wdc too, not only for more races than Bottas, if they were at same team. We just didn't see that. But we saw that Bottas beated over and over again by Hamilton. that is, bottas case is known and obvious but other options are still open. this is damn simple.

diffuser

JordanMugen wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 14:49
diffuser wrote:
Yep McLaren/Renault didn't change PU and are closer to RBR than ever before. Sounds like that .2 isn't showing up in lap time.
Lack of improvement of RBR is due to poor balance of the chassis, not due to lack of improvement of PU...
Our discussion wasn't any manufacturer specific. We were speaking generally about PU improvement. God thought it averaged .2 seconds a lap a year. I thought it was closer too .05.
I also argued that it's really hard to differentiate what performance increases come from where but more than likely most increases come from aero improvements. I used McLaren as an example of how they closed the gap to RBR this year but are still running more or less the year ending 2019 Renault.

godlameroso

diffuser wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 02:30
JordanMugen wrote:
diffuser wrote:
Our discussion wasn't any manufacturer specific. We were speaking generally about PU improvement. God thought it averaged .2 seconds a lap a year. I thought it was closer too .05.
I also argued that it's really hard to differentiate what performance increases come from where but more than likely most increases come from aero improvements. I used McLaren as an example of how they closed the gap to RBR this year but are still running more or less the year ending 2019 Renault.
Both McLaren and Renault improved by roughly the same amount, since they have the same engine, it stands to reason the improvement from both McLaren and Renault is partially down to the power unit as the improvement is consistent.
Saishū kōnā

diffuser

godlameroso wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 03:28
diffuser wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 02:30
JordanMugen wrote:

Both McLaren and Renault improved by roughly the same amount, since they have the same engine, it stands to reason the improvement from both McLaren and Renault is partially down to the power unit as the improvement is consistent.
Except that Renault said they be running the 2019 PU.

restless

etusch wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 18:15
In normal logic, Gasly and Albon, theorically, can beat Hamilton for Wdc too, not only for more races than Bottas, if they were at same team. We just didn't see that. But we saw that Bottas beated over and over again by Hamilton. that is, bottas case is known and obvious but other options are still open. this is damn simple.
LOL.
What racecraft Gasly has shown so far? Except one lucky race? Loosing all his qualis from Verstappen and medoicre "racecraft" in RB. He is at same level as Kvyat
Albon is connstantly 0.5sec in race behind ... and you compare them with Bottas who had soundly beaten Perez, which some rate above Vettel at the moment.
Given that Mercedes doesn't allow racing on track except on starts, he does well, I'd rate him at Ricciardo level - just half step under Ver&Ham... tempted am I, a poll for rating drivers to make :)

etusch

restless wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 07:42
etusch wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 18:15
LOL.
What racecraft Gasly has shown so far? Except one lucky race? Loosing all his qualis from Verstappen and medoicre "racecraft" in RB. He is at same level as Kvyat
Albon is connstantly 0.5sec in race behind ... and you compare them with Bottas who had soundly beaten Perez, which some rate above Vettel at the moment.
Given that Mercedes doesn't allow racing on track except on starts, he does well, I'd rate him at Ricciardo level - just half step under Ver&Ham... tempted am I, a poll for rating drivers to make :)
I don't know what is root of your thoughts.
How you dare to compare useless bottas with ricciardo.
If only cause of Bottas performance were mercedes unequality he would be right behind Hamilton to show everyone that he is as good as him but obey team orders. If he were that good he would use last years monza to show he can do what ham can not.

restless

I agree that we disagree, time will tell.

/offtopic You are in no position to command me what I dare or not. So please lets keep things civil.

etusch

restless wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 09:33
I agree that we disagree, time will tell.

/offtopic You are in no position to command me what I dare or not. So please lets keep things civil.
I don't have intention to command sory for that. I just wanted to emphasise how big difference between them

Wouter

Max moves on to Sochi: 'Have to put Mugello behind us'

Published on 22 September 2020 by Niels Hendrix

We’re into the second half of the season and Russia is the first standalone race after the last three triple headers. How are you feeling? Max: “I think it was good for everyone in the Red Bull team to have a weekend off but I’m looking forward to getting back to racing, especially after not actually doing a lap in the race at Mugello. It is of course not nice leaving a race weekend in that way, especially when I think we had a good chance of more than just a podium but we have to put that behind us.”

Max continues: “We have of course discussed the issues as a team and everybody is working in the same direction and trying to fight for every possibility in every single race that we can. I think we made some positive steps with the car at Mugello and it was of course good to see Alex on the podium for the first time. We won’t stop fighting for wins and podiums.”

What are the key things to look for at this track? Max says: “It’s not going to be easy in Sochi and it has not been a favourite for us with a lot of long straights and the competition behind will be close. The track is pretty unique as most of the corners are 90 degrees which we don’t usually experience. So we need to make sure we get the set-up just right, especially for certain slow corners to maximise the exit before the straights. It’s also not the easiest place to overtake, but let’s hope this weekend I won’t need to do too much overtaking and that we can get a good result.”
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Well, the RB15 was a good car, better than the RB16.

The Power of Dreams!