[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
DChemTech

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

ispano6 wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 17:01
godlameroso wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 16:00
diffuser wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 15:56

So which tenure at RBR Is Better Albon or Gasley at this point? by how much?

Does anyone think that if RBR had left Gasley at RBR he'd be driving like he is at AT at RBR?
He'd be doing a bit better than last year, but I don't think he'd be matching Verstappen. It takes a while to re-wire your brain when you've been conditioned to drive a certain way all your life.
Honda and RedBull have data that indicates when Albon is confident in the car that he can match Verstappen closely. It seems they think Albon is a driver with a driving style closer to Verstappen and that Gasly wasn't as close in the same machinery. Albon is in a confidence slump and with tracks he's relatively new to and tires that don't give him the grip he needs suffers quite a bit. Imola will probably be a tough race as would the Turkish GP since he's probably not as experienced on those tracks either. A track like Silverstone or Suzuka would be a different story.
Perhaps, he certainly did impress more than Gasly last year at RB. What is worrying is that this didn't seem to stretch to this year - including on tracks that are familiar. And yeah, there are new tracks on the calendar, but those are unfamiliar to most drivers, so it shouldn't be a big factor.

etusch

diffuser wrote:
DChemTech wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 15:35
etusch wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 15:05

İmola is not enough, he may up his performance all remained race consistantly to show he is at improving stage.
I'm not saying Imola is enough - I think he needs to do something special at Imola if he wants to remain in the race for a seat at all. Otherwise, it's game over there and then.

Does anyone think that if RBR had left Gasley at RBR he'd be driving like he is at AT at RBR?
Albon was racing with Kvyat wheel to wheel but Gasly is not. He is always front of Kvyat. It may be because of cars 2018/19. If Albon return to AT and Gasly keeps outperforming him like Kvyat then Albon must look a seat at another series. But we will see. I think Albon is better racer than Gasly. Gasly looks improved in race pace too. If Albon can keep developing himself at AT he can have a good ccareer at f1 even if not in RBR.

Sieper

diffuser wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 15:39
Sieper wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 20:43
diffuser wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 18:26

WRONG
1:16:4 was the fastest lap in Quali by Bottas in Q2 ON SOFTS.

I think you just say whatever, with out looking at any data.
What :wtf: . Point 1, leclerc qualified on mediums In Q2 while he was 4 tenths slower than Max in Q3 when both were on softs. So it would have been EASY for Max as well. The mercs did Q3 on mediums. What on earth for if this wasn’t the fastest tire? Max set the fastest time in FP3 on mediums By a margin, then taken away due to track limits and then set the almost fastest time on this same set, Just a few hundredths off. Mercs did their fp3 run on red.

And you seem to think Bottas fastest time in Q2 was set on softs. And then you say I say whatever. Bottas qualified on mediums man, not on softs at all!

I am really angry about this personal attack. I do put a lot of thought in my posts. I hope you come back with a more fair reply. Goodday sir :cry:
Sorry, didn't mean to make you cry.

Remember RBR have a quirky turn in issue that makes the car a little more difficult to drive. That might have led to RBR not wanting to try Med. Again, in my opinion, it was touch and go on Med for Max getting into Q3 aka starting 11th.
Many of the cars were running multiple laps before putting in the fastest lap in quali. It was taking many laps to get the Softs up to temperature. Mediums are even harder to get up to temp.

Anyways, that Horner team rarely misses something. So I'd be surprised that they didn't have a good reason for not trying the Med in quali. That's all I'm really saying.
Thanks for coming Back, I agree that the lady who does the strategy, forgot her name :oops: is doing very good, but for me it was a very clear case of just trying something else Then Mercedes. Max has said that Also many times this year, we will try something else as Merc.

even if it doesn’t work, place 3 should be possible anyway. Only in Monza (but the PU issues played a major role) and in Spa there was some pressure from Ricciardo but otherwise that was true even with suboptimal strategy. Even here, leclerc clearly thought yellow-white to the podium was possible. But not even close.

godlameroso

The AT has less bargeboard aero, and this shifts the car's aero center of pressure(COP) more rearward, improving balance vs the RB1x. The RB uses an outside loaded FW, and a lot of bargeboard aero, this shifts the aero COP forward some, and this COP shift is magnified if the diffuser or rear wing stall in any capacity. The issue is lessened to an extent with a full fuel tank because it shifts weight balance towards the rear.

Max's comments that the updates makes the "rear feel more connected to the front" gives me this impression. The updates maintain the car COP, and it doesn't shift forward as much. I believe that this is why the first upgrades they put on the car went straight to the rear wing. The Haas style S vents were an attempt to keep the rear wing from stalling and shifting COP forward. The slots on the floor, also a band aid solution to keeping the COP from migrating, as the updates to keep the front wing from stalling.

Next year the floor will have less downforce, so COP will move forward unless they run more rear wing, or they can find some other way to keep the floor fed. Otherwise they'll have to compromise front downforce to maintain car balance. Knowing Newey, that's not even a consideration, but I do expect heavy reworking of the front wing and bargeboards, along with the rear wing to compensate for the loss of downforce. Of course the loss of downforce is heavily dependent on the packaging improvements Honda and Red Bull can make for next year. If the power unit packaging improves it will allow yet more surface area on the floor to somewhat compensate for what's being lost. The shape of the diffuser, and the diffuser gurneys will be a key area of development, along with the front wing and bargeboards.

Mercedes has such a huge advantage with their chassis this year that they can fully focus on the more expensive than anticipated changes for next year. The only saving grace is that Mercedes won't be able to make a substantial chassis improvement, in fact their bulkier intake may compromise them slightly in that sense. Hopefully adapting that and the lack of DAS eats up some of their resources. Red Bull only needs to improve packaging, and understand the issues of this year's car, as those issues will also be there next year but possibly worse. Honda's cylinder/piston plating material has unleashed a new level of untapped potential, and they were not able to exploit it this year(no in season ICE upgrades), so I expect a very good step from Honda next year. They'll have had a full year of development, seeing how much they can eek out of the proper combination of pistons, rings, injectors, intake, exhaust, turbo, etc with the detonation, and cooling headroom they now have.

Not to mention any fuel and lubricant improvements, as those were also restricted.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

It may be rubbish, but that is why I used words like "gives me this impression." "I believe that this" "I do expect". Those words usually denote speculation, not preaching with certainty. Attacking people's opinion with personal attacks and not addressing the points seems incredibly cowardly and unproductive considering the fact the downvote is anonymous.
Saishū kōnā

Sieper

Why minus this post from Godlameroso. He put the effort in. If you disagree just react on the forum so we can all learn, or at least learn your viewpoint. I don’t understand this. This is a technical forum. These are exactly the things to discuss. Even if you think the arguments are rubbish.

NL_Fer

etusch wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 17:07
diffuser wrote:
DChemTech wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 15:35

I'm not saying Imola is enough - I think he needs to do something special at Imola if he wants to remain in the race for a seat at all. Otherwise, it's game over there and then.

Albon was racing with Kvyat wheel to wheel but Gasly is not. He is always front of Kvyat. It may be because of cars 2018/19. If Albon return to AT and Gasly keeps outperforming him like Kvyat then Albon must look a seat at another series. But we will see. I think Albon is better racer than Gasly. Gasly looks improved in race pace too. If Albon can keep developing himself at AT he can have a good ccareer at f1 even if not in RBR.
But what’s wrong with Kvyat than? He was matching Ricciardo in the Redbull, just a little rough sometimes.

etusch

NL_Fer wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 19:25

But what’s wrong with Kvyat than? He was matching Ricciardo in the Redbull, just a little rough sometimes.
I don't remember if he were matching with ricci then, but I know that he is not able to match Gasly now.

Wouter

NL_Fer wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 19:25
etusch wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 17:07
diffuser wrote:

The moment it was clear that Helmut Marko wanted Max in the RB car, Daniil went downhill. He became very unmotivated by the relegation and lost all pleasure in racing. He never got back to the level of the time he drove with Ricciardo at RBR. Such a pity.
The Power of Dreams!

lio007

Sieper wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 17:43
diffuser wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 15:39
Sieper wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 20:43

What :wtf: . Point 1, leclerc qualified on mediums In Q2 while he was 4 tenths slower than Max in Q3 when both were on softs. So it would have been EASY for Max as well. The mercs did Q3 on mediums. What on earth for if this wasn’t the fastest tire? Max set the fastest time in FP3 on mediums By a margin, then taken away due to track limits and then set the almost fastest time on this same set, Just a few hundredths off. Mercs did their fp3 run on red.

And you seem to think Bottas fastest time in Q2 was set on softs. And then you say I say whatever. Bottas qualified on mediums man, not on softs at all!

I am really angry about this personal attack. I do put a lot of thought in my posts. I hope you come back with a more fair reply. Goodday sir :cry:
Sorry, didn't mean to make you cry.

Remember RBR have a quirky turn in issue that makes the car a little more difficult to drive. That might have led to RBR not wanting to try Med. Again, in my opinion, it was touch and go on Med for Max getting into Q3 aka starting 11th.
Many of the cars were running multiple laps before putting in the fastest lap in quali. It was taking many laps to get the Softs up to temperature. Mediums are even harder to get up to temp.

Anyways, that Horner team rarely misses something. So I'd be surprised that they didn't have a good reason for not trying the Med in quali. That's all I'm really saying.
Thanks for coming Back, I agree that the lady who does the strategy, forgot her name :oops: is doing very good, but for me it was a very clear case of just trying something else Then Mercedes. Max has said that Also many times this year, we will try something else as Merc.
=> Hannah Schmitz

diffuser

godlameroso wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 18:48
It may be rubbish, but that is why I used words like "gives me this impression." "I believe that this" "I do expect". Those words usually denote speculation, not preaching with certainty. Attacking people's opinion with personal attacks and not addressing the points seems incredibly cowardly and unproductive considering the fact the downvote is anonymous.
Yep only cowards downvote.

Naturally I'll get a down vote for this.

Sieper

Certainly not! If I could upvote I would, but upvoting just for agreement is not allowed. When I downvote it is because somebody is intentionally being dishonoust, talking down on a team, driver with obvious lies. Stirring the pot with negativity so to speak.

diffuser

I agree. We're allowed to not have the same opinion.
Some times we're right sometimes we wrong. When we're wrong, we need to fess up.

restless

Wouter wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 20:52
The moment it was clear that Helmut Marko wanted Max in the RB car, Daniil went downhill. He became very unmotivated by the relegation and lost all pleasure in racing. He never got back to the level of the time he drove with Ricciardo at RBR. Such a pity.
IMO, he was going up in 2019, had a podium right after his firstborn came... then at end of the year he separated with Kelly Piquet ... and after rumours for Tsunoda coming to AT surfaced, it seems he completely lost it, again.

Just_a_fan

diffuser wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 21:49
godlameroso wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 18:48
Yep only cowards downvote.

Naturally I'll get a down vote for this.
Er, one should down vote when someone says something that is demonstrably incorrect. It's not about about cowardice, it's about facts. That's what the downvote is for. Up vote for stuff that is beneficial, downvote when something is incorrect.

Downvoting because of spite or malice is just childish and deserves to be slapped down.

P.S. - I haven't used a vote of either sort in this thread for some time, in case you think I've been down voting. 8)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.