[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bosyber

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

JordanMugen wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:37
bosyber wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:19
Which has to be seen as disappointing for a team like them, with a driver like Verstappen, and Albon, and their ambitions.
They could have won this race (albeit on strategy), so it's not all bad! :)
Not all bad, just isn't really good enough to consistently fight for a WDC, was what I was saying.

Jaisonas

Verstappen's electric failure. Notice the very rough shift at 1:21 that sounds like it broke something in the gearbox

Stef

Well, without the SC, the gap was going to be big with Albon probably in third.

For Max,we'll never know but he was not winning this on pace i belive

101FlyingDutchman

His medium pace looked fine to me!

etusch

Max Verstappen: "I'm not quite sure what happened yet, we'll investigate and find out but of course that's not how you want to start the season. I had a good start, unlike last year, and quite early on I could see that Valtteri was quick so fighting for the win was always going to be a big challenge. I think it would have been an easy podium and third would have been a decent start to the season but what can you do? This is racing and it is what it is, you can't change the result now. It is a shame for everyone who worked so hard to get us here this weekend but we will just focus on the race next week and hope for something better."

Alex Albon: It's still quite fresh so I've got to be careful what I say but there's nothing to add apart from how frustrating that is. I really think we could have easily won that race. We had a great strategy, the guys did a great job in the pit stops, yes we had a little bit of fortune with the Safety Car, but the car was feeling good. The hard tyre wasn't very strong today and I knew the Mercedes would have cold tyres on the re-start, so I already planned to get past them within a few laps of the Safety Car coming in. I feel like I had completed the move on Lewis already, and I was thinking about getting Bottas on the next lap. The contact with Lewis was so late in the corner that it surprised me. I was right on the edge of the track and I knew if I gave him all the space I could it would be up to him if he wants to crash or not. This time I was the one on the attack and he was defending. I wouldn't say this one hurts more than Brazil but that incident was maybe 50/50 whereas this one isn't. Obviously we've got next weekend to focus on now, we'll need a bit of luck to have the same opportunity as today, but let's see."

Christian Horner: "It was a very frustrating first race and I'm almost lost for words. Losing Max early on whilst he was running in second place on a better tyre was obviously painful but we still had Alex in a good position. Alex was putting in a very strong performance, strategically we got the call right to concede a position to the Racing Point but take on a new soft tyre. At the re-start Alex passed Lewis and inexplicably for the second time in three races Lewis has hit him and taken him out of the race. It was clearly a mis-judgement by Lewis which he received a penalty for but that still cuts deep for Alex. We then had to retire the car with what looks like a PU issue, which will now be investigated. It's hugely frustrating to come away from this race with a double DNF and no points, when we could have been in a position to win. The positives are that we looked to be having a competitive race but we still have a bit of pace to find ahead of next weekend."

HPD

Tanabe: The first race of the season ended with three of our cars retiring, which is disappointing. So the only positive is that Gasly drove well to give AlphaTauri some points in their first race. For Aston Martin Red Bull Racing, Verstappen was going well from second on the grid, until he had to retire due to an electrical issue. Albon was very unlucky to lose second place in the last few laps, but he was still fighting for points until he also had to retire, due to a suspected PU electrical issue. At the moment, we are investigating the causes of the two failures. We stay here in Austria for the second round next weekend and in the limited time available we will analyse all our data and try and take countermeasures to ensure we perform more reliably in Round 2.

https://en.hondaracingf1.com/races/2020 ... racereview

Sieper

So disappointed. I really hoped never to have to see this again but here we are. 6 years of watching Max in a top(ish) team and that team the only of the 3 just never being able to provide a fail free car. Albon’s engine failure just only deepening my fears further. What a frustration.

etusch

Sieper wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 22:57
So disappointed. I really hoped never to have to see this again but here we are. 6 years of watching Max in a top(ish) team and that team the only of the 3 just never being able to provide a fail free car. Albon’s engine failure just only deepening my fears further. What a frustration.
I think this is just because of updates applied without any run. If there were a test session a week before the race we would not see so much retirement.

Sieper

That is my remaining hope, that they had to rush the new spec in and that that is why the gremlins are there. Still not what is acceptable, but hopefully that means not anymore for the rest of the season. Which is as good as lost anyway now. So hurtfull.

Marti_EF3

Honda said it was electrical problems. So maybe you're right with rushing upgrades and a new spec. Hopefully next week at least will be troublefree. Not asking to beat Merc because it's not possible righr now

Bill

Imagine Max on new soft tyres with Mercedes on old nursing gearbox issues.Rbr lost an easy win

Wouter

Marti_EF3 wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 00:00
Honda said it was electrical problems. So maybe you're right with rushing upgrades and a new spec. Hopefully next week at least will be troublefree. Not asking to beat Merc because it's not possible righr now
If the problems came from a new spec, how do you explain that SAT had no problem with a new spec? They drove the same spec Honda engine.
The Power of Dreams!

etusch

Marti_EF3 wrote:
Mercedes are good but they specially worked on high altitude. Still there were issues with Mercedes engines. İf they are still this much good when racing another track than yea they are unbeatable but if not...
And Redbull is getting better race by race. it is not mid season thing. As we saw if there is not race there is not development there.

DChemTech

Wouter wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 09:03
Marti_EF3 wrote:
If the problems came from a new spec, how do you explain that SAT had no problem with a new spec? They drove the same spec Honda engine.
Let's first see where the issue came from. Maybe it was the engine mapping, it seemed to happen when max switched them. Probably some unfortunate soul forgot a ; in the software ;)