[ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jackles-UK

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Fulcrum wrote:
14 May 2020, 15:36
Hulkenberg and Vandoorne of the recent ex-drivers would both be strong candidates.

Of drivers on the grid and out of contract, Gasly, Kvyat, Grosjean or Magnussen would be strong possibilities. Gasly or Grosjean would make it an all French lineup, which hold some appeal for the Renault boardroom.

I think Vettel will join Kimi in retirement come the end of the year.
Gasly does actually make a lot of sense. If Albon does stay in the big boy seat at Red Bull there’s no real progression available for him there so he might look elsewhere like Carlos Sainz did.

A factory Renault seat would be a big upgrade on a Haas or Alpha Tauri seat and I think he also gets on well with Ocon being a part of that clutch of young French drivers with Leclerc and Antoine Hubert that basically grew up together.

Like you say, an all-French lineup for a French team might also seem more palatable for shareholders and the French people (who effectively own part of the Renault brand) to continue funding the racing team to the tune of hundreds of millions of euros a year.

Big Tea

alexx_88 wrote:
14 May 2020, 16:40
Big Tea wrote:
14 May 2020, 15:44
or join Kimi where he is now?
Just for fun
I don't think Ferrari would want that. They are using Alfa Romeo as a development path for their young drivers. Filling it with ex-Ferrari drivers seems counter-intuitive.
Unless it was a sweetener in his leaving on good terms and not going to the opposition? He is useful to Ferrari and Alfa as an ambassador or 'spokesperson'
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

godlameroso

Fulcrum wrote:
Hulkenberg and Vandoorne of the recent ex-drivers would both be strong candidates.

Of drivers on the grid and out of contract, Gasly, Kvyat, Grosjean or Magnussen would be strong possibilities. Gasly or Grosjean would make it an all French lineup, which hold some appeal for the Renault boardroom.

Vandoorne is not the top level driver needed by Renault at the moment, he is very good, but Renault needs top drivers if they want to challenge McLaren going forward. The problem is that Ocon will want that no.1 driver status, he tried to do that at Force India while paired with Perez. I rate Wherlein above Vandoorne.
Saishū kōnā

J_Ryder
J_Ryder

Do you think Renault will be in F1 in 2022?

I respect them for being brave and entering with works team. But at the moment things don't look so good, no other team will be using their engines, and this is not good news for their budget.

Jambier

Renault needs to have a CEO first
And a strategy

It is possible that they stop, but also if budget cap is low and sponsor cover expenses why not stay?

They have invest a lot of money in Enstone and Viry

djos

alexx_88 wrote:
14 May 2020, 15:02
I think they'll be pushing for Alonso to keep the "growing team" perspective ticking along. Otherwise paying Ricciardo top money for two years would've been for nothing.
I agree, Alonso will come back to Renault. Their twitter feed seems to be dropping large hints in that direction too.
"In downforce we trust"

godlameroso

Alonso is getting tempted, and putting himself against Ocon would be very interesting. This year's Renault will likely be in a very tight fight with McLaren.
Saishū kōnā

r101
r101

J_Ryder wrote:
14 May 2020, 21:36
Do you think Renault will be in F1 in 2022?

I respect them for being brave and entering with works team. But at the moment things don't look so good, no other team will be using their engines, and this is not good news for their budget.
And how many teams used their engines in 2005 and 2006? From 2021 they can add even more integration with the chassis.

max_speed
max_speed

Renault need a top class driver on par with number 1 drivers of other manufacturers. Rule change might present them a good chance/probability to come back in the game. if they are in a mix they need someone who can bring every point that is created by an opportunity. Ocon could be great for future but not close to Top tier drivers (Ham/Ric/Lec). Alonso is right choice for them for next 2 years. he is mean machine and if they provide him decent enough car.he can create chances to win championship as well.its worth to play for.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

godlameroso wrote:
14 May 2020, 18:57
Fulcrum wrote:

Vandoorne is not the top level driver needed by Renault at the moment, he is very good, but Renault needs top drivers if they want to challenge McLaren going forward. The problem is that Ocon will want that no.1 driver status, he tried to do that at Force India while paired with Perez. I rate Wherlein above Vandoorne.
Difficult for me to make an assessment of Wehrlein vs. Vandoorne.I don't think Wehrlein did himself any favours while in the sport though.

Considering the recent press releases, where Abiteboul referred to driver salaries potentially being part of the salary cap, and Ricciardo accepting a paycut for 2020, Renault don't appear in a position to be able to afford a top line driver.

PowerandtheGlory
PowerandtheGlory

I think with the Renault seat being the 'only' one available for Alonso- they should be able to negotiate quite hard to get his salary down a bit- but super excited if they sign him. I think he will be a good fit with the slightly introverted Ocon- who will take on a young muskateer vibe to Alonso's Conquistador...

Shame that 2021 will be a bit of a dud year- with all the restrictions to be placed on Development.. Everybody switching to 2022..

Chance to go racing and not worry about the rest- as long as the car is good..
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Macklaren
Macklaren

I think it's time to talk about the fact that unlike Ferrari and Mclaren, Renault did not have a replacement driver lined up. Did Cyril not see this coming?? (HIGHLY unlikely given everyone in the paddock knew about this for months). Or is something preventing them from announcing the replacement name? The only thing I can think of is that Cyril is waiting for the Renault board to approve Alonso's salary. If it was Hulkenberg or Zhou they could/should have announced it immediately. While there is no rush given the lack of racing, its not a good look -- like they didn't have a plan...

Jackles-UK

Equally though, Renault have by far the most attractive vacant seat on the grid for 2021 (assuming Mercedes stick with their current lineup). As a result, anyone who wants to be on the grid who isn’t already confirmed elsewhere will be pestering their management team to get them in that seat. They can take their time if they want and have a look at who impresses during the reduced season before hanging their hat on someone so early on.

To some extent they don’t need to bother doing this with Vettel or Alonso and could have just gone for it, they are both well-known entities already, which is what makes me think that maybe they aren’t actively pursuing either of these two right now.

godlameroso

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
15 May 2020, 13:22
I think with the Renault seat being the 'only' one available for Alonso- they should be able to negotiate quite hard to get his salary down a bit- but super excited if they sign him. I think he will be a good fit with the slightly introverted Ocon- who will take on a young muskateer vibe to Alonso's Conquistador...

Shame that 2021 will be a bit of a dud year- with all the restrictions to be placed on Development.. Everybody switching to 2022..

Chance to go racing and not worry about the rest- as long as the car is good..
After a few years being out of F1 I'm not sure Alonso would fetch a top salary, it's clear the man still wants to race, and Renault is on the same level as McLaren. He has no chance to get into a top team, this is the best position he could realistically attain. With Renault Alonso wouldn't be fighting at the back of the grid but rather chipping away at a podium. Maybe the Renault can't fight for wins but it can definitely fight for points and an odd podium, and with Racing Point, McLaren, and Toro Rosso, it's not like he would be driving lonely but racing others with similar equipment.
Saishū kōnā

Bill
Bill

Renault has put a lot of infrastructure investment in their maybe time for it to pay off.The covid 19 world of f1 would be dramatically different from its past teams that are used to spending upwards of 400+ millions dollars would have to spend only 150 so the definition of what a top team is would have a different meaning. Renault would definitely qualify as a top team the likes of Ferrari would no longer have any "unfair " advantage.