[ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Fernando on speculation of Renault return:

“At noon they were saying that a team had said no to Alonso. By the night I am racing in 2020 for the very same team.
I have already said months ago that my future plans were decided for a long time, and that I would share it shortly. And so it will be,”
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

JordanMugen

Manoah2u wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 16:24
exactly because it's blue, it takes more attention.

it doesn't work like that, so sorry, but what you're doing is what makes no sense.
Blue E-TECH logo has been changed to white at the Austrian GP. Just sayin'. :wink:

Big Tea

djos wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 07:05
langedweil wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 02:00
djos wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 01:35
I don’t know about that, he send to play the blame game just as well as Cyril and that’s not a healthy culture to base your organisation on.

Mercedes uses agile style blameless retrospective and has shown how effective they are. Mistakes happen, but paths need to learn from them, improve and move forward.
Yeah, well that's partly because of the fact they had nothing to blame at all ... being a second a lap faster than anyone
Clearly you don’t watch F1 very closely.

You don’t suddenly implement a good culture once you start winning, you need it from early on or you Won’t succeed.

Mercedes have made plenty of mistakes and the reason they come back and win the next race etc, is they’ve learned from the mistakes in a constructive way.
I like the way Folds fronted up and call it as his bad call, but still managing to keep it a team race, and Lewis calling the tyres. No one is perfect 100% so accepting it is better than pointing and blaming.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

djos

Exactly, I’m the head of incident management for a cloud software company and blameless retrospectives are a powerful tool.

Frequently human error is caused by flaws in processes that didn’t adequately support the engineer that made a significant error. Improving the process or tools etc to support all the engineers better is far more powerful than berating the engineer.
"In downforce we trust"

Mansell89
Mansell89

I thought in the hands of Danny Ricciardo the Renault - as it did in testing- looked very neat and tidy and stable for the most part and that showed with a good lap time.

Esteban in a new team and back from a year out so no surprise to see a little rust today but we know he is quick and will keep improving.

ThePapayaJaguar
ThePapayaJaguar

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 02:39
ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 01:20
Guenther seems like a better leader than Cyril for Renault. They need someone who is somewhat ruthless at the moment.
Neither seems very good at all
Guenther is better though, in my opinion.

djos

I know it’s only practice and Ocon missed last season, but Riccardo is dominating him so far by a big margin. I really wasn’t expecting him to be so far in front.
"In downforce we trust"

Wynters
Wynters

djos wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 02:43
I know it’s only practice and Ocon missed last season, but Riccardo is dominating him so far by a big margin. I really wasn’t expecting him to be so far in front.
Ricciardo is good. Ocon is not only out of practice but is new to the car and team. Ocon being closer would've been a surprise. The key will be where he is after 5-6 races. I still expect Ricciardo to be ahead but how much the gap closes will give a more accurate read on their skill difference.

I think Ricciardo will still be ahead, but not by much, and he'll likely start to be excluded from team efforts as the season nears the end so he doesn't take contemporary data to a rival.

djos

It’s a new car for both of them but the season off will be the biggest factor imo.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

Btw Daniel got badly impacted in Q3 by Bottas throwing his car off the road. Not surprising he sounded very frustrated on the radio.
"In downforce we trust"

Wynters
Wynters

djos wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 02:17
It’s a new car for both of them but the season off will be the biggest factor imo.
True, but there will be 'legacy' characteristics. Think about how long it took for Ricciardo to get used to the brakes of the Renault in the season he switched vs how easy it was for him to adjust to each iteration of the RBR. Plus, knowing Hulk was on his way out, I suspect Renault will have designed the car more towards Ricciardo's nuances.

I'm really excited to see how it plays out between the two of them. I think Ricciardo is still fastest at the end of the season, but it's got the potential to be pretty exciting to watch develop.

Blackout

djos wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 02:16
Chassis clearly still needs a lot of work, the McLaren’s are making much better use of the Renault PU.
In this track the MCL looks faster, but not 7 tenths faster. That gap isnt representative. Ric lost between 2 and 4 tenths in Q3 because of the yellow flag.
And this track is the worst for the Enstone team since 2014. They're consistently bad here.
We must wait for the other tracks IMO.
But the chassis, even here, seems to have improved quite a lot.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

The Renault looks as terrible as ever. I was hoping for a big step forward. Ocon qualifying 14th isn't what I had in mind.

Mansell89
Mansell89

I thought throughout the weekend that the Renault looked much improved on the 2019 model - neat, tidy, stable.

Ricciardo might have stolen a Row 3 spot if his lap was not compromised by Bottas.

You have to give Ocon some time- we know he is fast and has been measured against a good benchmark in Perez. He will click sooner rather than later.

I will be really intrigued to see the Renault (and the McLaren for that matter) go around Silverstone- they both looked pretty good to me around high speed. It’s the low speed where I think the Merc really dominates everyone.

Jambier

Let's give them a bit of time indeed, but:

- Mercedes / Red Bull / McLaren will be in front at least
- Ferrari will bounce back
- Racing point is strong

So that can also be Renault finishing P6...