[ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
carisi2k

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Ocon has been getting closer to Daniel and he would have easily beat the Hulk had he not had the reliability issue. Daniel is just in a purple patch of form at the moment and the Renault seems to really be progressing well.

djos

From what I heard Ocon say in a recent interview, Daniel drives most of the car setup direction at Renault. Their current improvements seem to be largely as a result of his feedback.
"In downforce we trust"

Wynters

It certainly feels like losing Ricciardo will be a setback for Renault. Ocon should continue to improve and Alonso is Alonso...but he's also older and out of practice / less experienced with the current regs than those he'll be racing against. Ocon's improvement might balance out Alonso having to get up to speed, but with the points spread as it is, there's more benefit in having someone very high up the grid (as we see now) than having two people modestly far up.

I heard Sky(?) mention that Ricciardo wasn't being frozen out of meetings as usually happens when a driver is leaving to go to a competitor, so it shows just how highly they value him.

Big Tea

Wynters wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 11:37
It certainly feels like losing Ricciardo will be a setback for Renault. Ocon should continue to improve and Alonso is Alonso...but he's also older and out of practice / less experienced with the current regs than those he'll be racing against. Ocon's improvement might balance out Alonso having to get up to speed, but with the points spread as it is, there's more benefit in having someone very high up the grid (as we see now) than having two people modestly far up.

I heard Sky(?) mention that Ricciardo wasn't being frozen out of meetings as usually happens when a driver is leaving to go to a competitor, so it shows just how highly they value him.
Also, one of Alonso's skills is driving around problems. If he manages a problem, maybe they will not fix it.
OK this year, but next years car has that fault included and is not seen as a fault.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wynters

I hadn't considered that future impact.

How long do we think Alonso will be there for? He's 39.

tangodjango

Wynters wrote:

Oh c'mon Alonso designed the 2019 new front wing regs car for McLaren. Concept has been pretty much same since 2019-2021 he shouldn't struggle too much.
/s
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

tangodjango

djos wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 11:18
From what I heard Ocon say in a recent interview, Daniel drives most of the car setup direction at Renault. Their current improvements seem to be largely as a result of his feedback.
Do you have a link or remember on where the interview was?
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

djos

tangodjango wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 12:24
djos wrote:
It was part of a recent sky broadcast, I can’t recall which one, sorry.
"In downforce we trust"

basti313

Big Tea wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 12:08
Wynters wrote:

Also, one of Alonso's skills is driving around problems. If he manages a problem, maybe they will not fix it.
OK this year, but next years car has that fault included and is not seen as a fault.
That is the positive perception. The negative way of seeing it is, that Alonso requests handling features that hurt the teammate. The handling of Alonso's cars was always very special. And the reason is not that he always had a dog to drive...
Don`t russel the hamster!

tangodjango

djos wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 12:31
tangodjango wrote:
djos wrote:
Ah ok will try to dig it out. Thanks anyway.

PowerandtheGlory

djos wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 12:31
tangodjango wrote:
djos wrote:
Overall this concerns me, either he is being kind and saying that the recent Success is down to Daniel and that is very sporting, or he has no real idea how to setup the car and so he follows Daniel and if that's the case he will always be second best, im concerned because Alonso is a wiley old fox and he will out muscle and out think Ocon and take advantage of this naivety, Ocon will drift into an also ran.. to be replaced by whomever... and go off to race formula E or sportscars.. Renault need a really strong partnership because next year they are competing against Ferrari, Aston, Mclaren and Redbull and you cant afford to have a weak link..
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

diffuser

Wynters wrote:

Same with Sainz.

PlatinumZealot

basti313 wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 12:35
Big Tea wrote:
Wynters wrote:

That is the positive perception. The negative way of seeing it is, that Alonso requests handling features that hurt the teammate. The handling of Alonso's cars was always very special. And the reason is not that he always had a dog to drive...
Button didn't do too bad with Alonso's handling preferences did he? Neither did Lewis at McLaren. I have a feeling Alonso sets the car up in whatever way is necessary to get the most lap time out of it. If the car is difficult to drive, Ocon will be in trouble but not Alsono!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

diffuser

basti313 wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 12:35
Big Tea wrote:
Wynters wrote:

That's a misnomer. Drivers don't ask for "Specific things". They detail the car's behaviour. It's then the Engineers job to take that feedback coupled with the data gathered by the car to go about figuring out how to improve the car. I think what happened OFTEN is that Alonso was able to figure out how to take advantage of things that other drivers couldn't. It's widely known how, in his championship years at Renault, Alonso was able force the front wheels to oversteer in every corner and have them stop oversteering at the apex resulting it hoter tires with higher amount of grip. While his team mate couldn't, to the same degree. Once the team saw what Fernando was doing they told the other driver to do the same thing and moved on to trying to improve other aspects of the car. While his team mate kept saying they had a front end problem that Renault didn't want to waste time on. Alonso was able to make use of the car's strength (the rear traction) to aid the front traction to the point where he could carry enough speed into the corner that nobody could touch him coming out of the corners. Without Alonso, I find it hard to see, how Renault would not have won those 2 years. Unlike many Merc Championships that have been more about which of the 2 Merc drivers would win it.

On that front, I have bad news for you. Pat Fry is at Renault. Fry followed Alonso to Ferrari from Mclaren. Look who's at Renault when Fernado makes a comeback. Surprise surprise!
Last edited by diffuser on 13 Oct 2020, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

selvam_e2002

do we have any picture and time setup by Alonso today with 2020 car?