[ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Caesar.

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

godlameroso wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 04:18
Caesar. wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 16:56
Ocon will pip Alonso for the first half of the season, but expecting the latter to make the difference eventually.
Alonso will do the same thing he's done to his previous teammates. I place Ocon up there with Raikkonen, Perez, and Hulkenberg. Alonso is on Riccardo's level.
Alonso's abilities are undeniable, he is a true great, but two years out of the sport is a long time. He might dominate Ocon, but I doubt it'll be immediate.

tangodjango

godlameroso wrote:
Caesar. wrote:
Ocon will pip Alonso for the first half of the season, but expecting the latter to make the difference eventually.
Alonso will do the same thing he's done to his previous teammates. I place Ocon up there with Raikkonen, Perez, and Hulkenberg. Alonso is on Riccardo's level.
If Alonso is still at the same level as Singapore 2018 he's better than Max. Maybe not in qualifying but definitely overall.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

Big Tea

tangodjango wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 16:25
godlameroso wrote:
Caesar. wrote:
If Alonso is still at the same level as Singapore 2018 he's better than Max. Maybe not in qualifying but definitely overall.
I suspect he will also have a 'warm welcome' back from the team, and immediately re arrange things to favour his own plans.

Having had experience with him winning, the team will no doubt tag along as its a proven formula.
Good for Alonso, good for the team,but not so sure about 'the other driver'.

Not decrying Alonso or the team, they have to take the best path, but I do not see Ocon blooming.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Morteza

Alonso makes Renault DP World F1 Team debut
Fernando Alonso returned to the wheel of a Formula 1 car today for the first time in nearly two years.

The double World Champion drove for Renault DP World F1 Team in a filming day at the Circuit de Catalunya-Barcelona, Spain, completing 21 laps and 100km as mandated by FIA regulations. Fernando got to grips with the team’s Renault R.S.20 car, which claimed a podium in last weekend’s Eifel Grand Prix.

It was a return to home turf in many ways for the Spaniard. Twenty years previously, Fernando made his debut for Renault’s predecessors, Benetton, at the very same circuit. He also scored two hugely popular victories in the Spanish Grand Prix, in 2006 and 2013, and five further podium finishes.

Fernando will return to the F1 grid full-time from 2021.

Q&A with Fernando Alonso
How did it feel to be back behind the wheel of an F1 car for the first time in almost two years?

It felt amazing to be able to drive these cars after two years and feel the speed again, how everything comes so fast, corner after corner, the performance under braking and all the things a Formula 1 car has to offer. To feel it once again felt nice.

(NB: last time Fernando drove a car was April 2019 – McLaren, Bahrain)

Did it feel special to return to a car on home turf in Spain?
Of course. It made it special to be back in Barcelona. I remember the year 2000, I drove the Benetton here with the Enstone guys. Now, in 2020, it’s with Renault, so it’s a special track and I have lots of good memories here. It’s a track I know very well, so it’s been a good day.

What was the programme for today?
Most of the day was a little bit of filming with some drones on track and some action behind the camera. At the same time, it was about working with the team to do a couple of laps and for me to find comfort in the seat, the steering wheel and the pedals. These are things for next year which, over winter, could be very tight. It’s our first steps.

What are your impressions of the Renault R.S.20?
I think the car was a nice surprise. We know the car is performing well at the last couple of races and I felt the grip and certainly good potential in it. The last time I drove a Renault engine was in 2018 and I felt a step forwards, which is quite important there. Everything felt good. I wasn’t able to maximise the performance of the car because I’m not up to speed yet, but I’m happy with the day.

You’ve visited the team at Enstone twice and Viry once, now the test – are you feeling at home?
I felt at home already from day one. There is this atmosphere at Enstone, and in this team, that everything is so simple and logical in everything they do. I’m comfortable here with Renault. A lot of the people who worked today, worked as mechanics in my days in the team. When you know the faces and the team, everything comes a little easier.

Did you watch the race in Germany, and how did it feel to see Renault’s first podium in 10 years?
Absolutely, I watch every race. I’m in the weekend even from a distance. I follow every lap. The podium was very well deserved, finally. I’m so happy for everyone. Cyril might be a bit worried for the tattoo but, other than that, it was a fantastic moment.

Did you congratulate the team?
Yes, absolutely. I was waiting for the last lap. I was so happy for everyone. I wrote the message and then had my finger on send until Daniel crossed the line. I didn’t want to send it in case for luck reasons!

Cyril described you as a hungry shark – did the result on Sunday make you feel even hungrier?
I’m still the same after Sunday. I know what the team is capable of and I know the prospects for the future are good. The podium is a thing that had to happen. Most important thing is to follow the trend that we see now, keep the momentum into next year, especially for 2022, and I think we know how to do it.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

diffuser

tangodjango wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
Caesar. wrote:
As much as I'd like to beleive that to be true. It's a statement that will never be tested. They'd have to run on the same team for a couple of years for you to be able to say that.

Do I beleive that Alo can fool Max and beat him? YES! ....BUT, I also beleive the opposite to be true. I think that's about all you can say. I think Max, like Alonso, have earned the right to be judged as one of the best to ever drive in F1.

tangodjango

diffuser wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 18:51
tangodjango wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

As much as I'd like to beleive that to be true. It's a statement that will never be tested. They'd have to run on the same team for a couple of years for you to be able to say that.

Do I beleive that Alo can fool Max and beat him? YES! ....BUT, I also beleive the opposite to be true. I think that's about all you can say. I think Max, like Alonso, have earned the right to be judged as one of the best to ever drive in F1.
Yes sure after he's won a couple of championships and beaten Hamilton in equal-ish cars or someone like Leclerc in the same car all of which he's fully capable of doing.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

selvam_e2002

could some one share the details of today's testing with Alonso using 2018 car please....

djos

Any word on Cyril’s tattoo?

I’m hoping for a Honey Badger! :D
"In downforce we trust"

PowerandtheGlory

“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

djos

Interesting, I think he’s a good driver, but better than Ocon, I doubt it. I think he’s on par. But considering he failed to come to grips with the Redbull, I don’t think he’d be worth kicking out Ocon.

Gasly is a bit like Perez, a good driver who utterly failed to step up to a top 3 drive when the opportunity came knocking.
"In downforce we trust"

selvam_e2002

basically the problem with these drivers Gasly, Ocon, Albon, are car setup. If they able to understand and adjust themself with the car then I think they will shine very well.

PowerandtheGlory

Just wondering, if Renault have given Alonso time in the current car, and he's had seat fitting and everything.... ****can he be the reserve COVID driver????***** Id love to see him and Ricc together this season maybe going for that 3rd place in the champs'.......
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

PowerandtheGlory

djos wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 09:57
Interesting, I think he’s a good driver, but better than Ocon, I doubt it. I think he’s on par. But considering he failed to come to grips with the Redbull, I don’t think he’d be worth kicking out Ocon.

Gasly is a bit like Perez, a good driver who utterly failed to step up to a top 3 drive when the opportunity came knocking.
That's a fair summary.. but surely for a 'no2' you need a guy who can bring the car home get points, and this balances out having a 'no1' superstar driver... i feel Redbull have lacked one of those since Ricc left. They def haven't found one.. i think Hulk is that kind of driver (given the right car) and i wouldn't be surprised if he gets the nod next year.. and he gets on really well with Max

djos

Honestly I think hulk would be a better no.2 than either Gasly or Albon. I think hulk is a lot like Mark Webber, he’s an excellent driver who has suffered from being in the wrong place at the wrong time. He’s not WDC material, but he’s a highly competent driver who will be there when the number one driver has a bad day.
"In downforce we trust"