[ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
the EDGE
the EDGE
122
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Bedfordshire ENGLAND

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

Something I just remembered is that Renault are still using their 2019 chassis

This was evident at the start of 2020 from where the front bulkhead meet the new narrower nose

As it can not be changed for 2021 this will now be the 3rd year
Last edited by the EDGE on Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tangodjango
tangodjango
47
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:38 pm

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

RedNEO wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:38 am
selvam_e2002 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:18 am
how long Renault working on 2021 engine? The article says "for years" any idea how long they are concentrating new engine?
Since 2018, so 2 years.
I would wager
they have been working on it intensively since 2019 mid? Since they had to fix those conrod issues in 2019 early season. Very possible concept planning and R&D have been going on even longer. Since they probably have had only optimization and reliability upgrades which also bring performance since 2019 mid.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

User avatar
NathanOlder
163
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Kent

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

If they were very positive with their work on the new engine ect, wouldn't Ricciardo have stayed? Him leaving for a customer team doesn't say too much about the hopes for the new engine. Or did Ricciardo leave as Renault may have been planning on bringing Fernando back regardless?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

User avatar
diffuser
230
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

tangodjango wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:55 am
RedNEO wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:38 am
selvam_e2002 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:18 am
how long Renault working on 2021 engine? The article says "for years" any idea how long they are concentrating new engine?
Since 2018, so 2 years.
I would wager
they have been working on it intensively since 2019 mid? Since they had to fix those conrod issues in 2019 early season. Very possible concept planning and R&D have been going on even longer. Since they probably have had only optimization and reliability upgrades which also bring performance since 2019 mid.
I would presume that at some point in the 2019 they moved people to start working on the new PU and left some for reliability upgrades.

Little after the forced closure at the end of summer 2019, Cyril announced some reliability upgrades for the last PU of 2019 then nothing till 2021.

It didn't become know till this year that they were working on a whole new ICE/turbo/MGU-H/compressor. They were also still interested in a PU freeze in late 2019/early 2020. I presume once they gave the go ahead and started spending serious money on it, they switched to against the freeze.

First pictures of new PU are seen from Alonso's visit to Viry Châtillon in September. At that point, the PU is on the dyno. But there are pictures of Renault tinkering with front compressor on the PU on the power unit thread all the way back to 2017.

User avatar
diffuser
230
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

NathanOlder wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:55 pm
If they were very positive with their work on the new engine ect, wouldn't Ricciardo have stayed? Him leaving for a customer team doesn't say too much about the hopes for the new engine. Or did Ricciardo leave as Renault may have been planning on bringing Fernando back regardless?
I think they were surprised by Riccardo leaving.
Now if Alonso was always planned to replace Ocon...not sure.

Macklaren
Macklaren
33
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

WTH Cyril leaving is a real surprise. Unless he has some big FIA/Liberty media gig lined up, I don't think anyone saw this coming. Wonder what ALO thinks.

User avatar
diffuser
230
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

Macklaren wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:29 pm
WTH Cyril leaving is a real surprise. Unless he has some big FIA/Liberty media gig lined up, I don't think anyone saw this coming. Wonder what ALO thinks.
Maybve there is a Williams/Renault plan for the future? they don't have a TP.

User avatar
RedNEO
29
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:58 am

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

tangodjango wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:55 am
RedNEO wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:38 am
selvam_e2002 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:18 am
how long Renault working on 2021 engine? The article says "for years" any idea how long they are concentrating new engine?
Since 2018, so 2 years.
I would wager
they have been working on it intensively since 2019 mid? Since they had to fix those conrod issues in 2019 early season. Very possible concept planning and R&D have been going on even longer. Since they probably have had only optimization and reliability upgrades which also bring performance since 2019 mid.
Mid 2019 aka slightly over one year isn’t years though is it

User avatar
RedNEO
29
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:58 am

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

diffuser wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:34 pm
Macklaren wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:29 pm
WTH Cyril leaving is a real surprise. Unless he has some big FIA/Liberty media gig lined up, I don't think anyone saw this coming. Wonder what ALO thinks.
Maybve there is a Williams/Renault plan for the future? they don't have a TP.
Brivio is coming in so what do you mean by Williams plan?

User avatar
diffuser
230
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

RedNEO wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:40 pm
diffuser wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:34 pm
Macklaren wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:29 pm
WTH Cyril leaving is a real surprise. Unless he has some big FIA/Liberty media gig lined up, I don't think anyone saw this coming. Wonder what ALO thinks.
Maybve there is a Williams/Renault plan for the future? they don't have a TP.
Brivio is coming in so what do you mean by Williams plan?
It was "tongue an cheek" but Cyril was TP at Caterham (had Renault F1 PU). Williams need a TP and maybe they're gonna switch to Renault.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier
283
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

diffuser wrote:
Macklaren wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:29 pm
WTH Cyril leaving is a real surprise. Unless he has some big FIA/Liberty media gig lined up, I don't think anyone saw this coming. Wonder what ALO thinks.
Maybve there is a Williams/Renault plan for the future? they don't have a TP.
Doubt it, Williams recently announced a technological contribution with Mercedes for their Gearboxes (more probably the start of more parts to be acquired from Merc).


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
lio007
381
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Austria

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

SmallSoldier wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:35 pm
diffuser wrote:
Macklaren wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:29 pm
WTH Cyril leaving is a real surprise. Unless he has some big FIA/Liberty media gig lined up, I don't think anyone saw this coming. Wonder what ALO thinks.
Maybve there is a Williams/Renault plan for the future? they don't have a TP.
Doubt it, Williams recently announced a technological contribution with Mercedes for their Gearboxes (more probably the start of more parts to be acquired from Merc).


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Williams has a TP in Simon Roberts

User avatar
RedNEO
29
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:58 am

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

diffuser wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:31 pm
RedNEO wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:40 pm
diffuser wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:34 pm


Maybve there is a Williams/Renault plan for the future? they don't have a TP.
Brivio is coming in so what do you mean by Williams plan?
It was "tongue an cheek" but Cyril was TP at Caterham (had Renault F1 PU). Williams need a TP and maybe they're gonna switch to Renault.
With Cyril gone that could mean Sauber may be interested in a partnership

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
525
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

They need new blood it seems.
.. OG.. OG.. OG.. OG..

Jolle
Jolle
230
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: Dordrecht

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

RedNEO wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:19 am
diffuser wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:31 pm
RedNEO wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:40 pm


Brivio is coming in so what do you mean by Williams plan?
It was "tongue an cheek" but Cyril was TP at Caterham (had Renault F1 PU). Williams need a TP and maybe they're gonna switch to Renault.
With Cyril gone that could mean Sauber may be interested in a partnership
With Renault? And loosing their FCA sponsor?
I don’t see Cyrill back at a team, same way Withmarsh walked away from the sport. Maybe a spot on a FIA board about engine development?