[ 2020 ] Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
rohan

Re: [ 2020 ] Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

McLaren looks to be in just as much (if not more) trouble than does Williams, in all honesty.

Racer X

Re: Williams FW43

Jolle wrote:
30 May 2020, 00:07
Scorpaguy wrote:
29 May 2020, 23:13
Racer X wrote:
29 May 2020, 23:07
Williams lost Rokit as a sponsor so i wonder can they change their livery up completely?
RX...Williams posted a story about a new livery forthcoming. However, the real problem may be finding a car upon which to put it.
Showing up at the first race in a render. “Oh, we’re doing this for real now?”
I mean they can show up to the Virtual GP's with their flashy new livery.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

adrianjordan

rohan wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 16:32
McLaren looks to be in just as much (if not more) trouble than does Williams, in all honesty.
On what are you basing that?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

proteus

Tattoo- wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 10:32
Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel...

https://twitter.com/PeterDWindsor/statu ... 5467801600
5% is practically nothing. The team has hit its new low, and investment like this is only a good business. If they completely collapse, he wont be affected much, since he has more than enough money in his pockets, if the team rises back to being competitive, its value will rise as well and he will get a pretty penny with selling his shares again.

This is nothing spectacular, or to be cheerfull about.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

proteus

rohan wrote:
Mclaren F1 division broke even this year, while automotive suffered loss. But Mclaren still has F1 team, automotive department and applied technology departement, while Williams has sold everything, and F1 programme stands by its own and has acumulated even more debt this year and they lost its title sponsorship.

Both companies have their bitter share of their problems, but Mclaren is like a Titanic 1 mile infront of an iceberg, while Williams is allready 30 minutes after collision with it. Massive difference.

Jolle

proteus wrote:
07 Jun 2020, 23:06
rohan wrote:
Mclaren F1 division broke even this year, while automotive suffered loss. But Mclaren still has F1 team, automotive department and applied technology departement, while Williams has sold everything, and F1 programme stands by its own and has acumulated even more debt this year and they lost its title sponsorship.

Both companies have their bitter share of their problems, but Mclaren is like a Titanic 1 mile infront of an iceberg, while Williams is allready 30 minutes after collision with it. Massive difference.
Yes and no. Two very different companies with different challenges and possible outcomes.

McLaren now isn’t just a F1 team and factory anymore, their car business is the one where all the debt is in and therefore the main focus of the model. If closing the F1 team will always be an option to achieve that (how weird that might sound).

For Williams, it’s F1 or nothing. Closing the factory or team is no option, not even to save the bigger picture (because there is none).

bill shoe

proteus wrote:
07 Jun 2020, 23:02
Tattoo- wrote:

5% is practically nothing. The team has hit its new low, and investment like this is only a good business. If they completely collapse, he wont be affected much, since he has more than enough money in his pockets, if the team rises back to being competitive, its value will rise as well and he will get a pretty penny with selling his shares again.

It's a good start. It puts significant money into the team via equity instead of debt that needs repayment. This could ensure they have enough money to finish the season, for example.

Tattoo-

proteus wrote:
Tattoo- wrote:

5% sure are peanuts, but tell me one good reason, why would he want to invest in a rivalry team if it wasn't something behind?! :wtf:

Would CEO of Mercedes invest in BMW or Audi (even if the investment would be too good to miss)?! I don't think so...
"There are only three sports: bull fighting, car racing and mountain climbing. The rest are mere games!" - Ernest Hemingway

Scorpaguy

Tattoo- wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 16:23
proteus wrote:
Tattoo- wrote:

5% sure are peanuts, but tell me one good reason, why would he want to invest in a rivalry team if it wasn't something behind?! :wtf:

Would CEO of Mercedes invest in BMW or Audi (even if the investment would be too good to miss)?! I don't think so...
...I doubt Toto is investing in Williams; I assume he is investing into what Williams becomes...they are a Merc powerplant team. Toto also invested in Aston...which has ties to RP...which is also a Merc powered team. I further assume such investments are designed to allow for their continued domination in the sport. Watching the Merc Machine out position/out play/out smart/out fox Ferrari over the last decade is somewhat akin to watching Mike Tyson box PeeWee Herman...not exactly pretty, but fairly entertaining in a tragic comedy sort of way.

proteus

Tattoo- wrote:
proteus wrote:
Tattoo- wrote:

They are far from being rivals, and more a moving chicane at the moment for Mercedes. He invested his money, because it is good to do so. If they become more competitive - he benefits, if the team is sold - he benefits. It is a win win for him either way. He got that 5% stake for small money (in relevance to his buying power).

Big Tea

proteus wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 19:52
Tattoo- wrote:
proteus wrote:

They are far from being rivals, and more a moving chicane at the moment for Mercedes. He invested his money, because it is good to do so. If they become more competitive - he benefits, if the team is sold - he benefits. It is a win win for him either way. He got that 5% stake for small money (in relevance to his buying power).
I assume even 5% would give him voting rights in approve/veto who it gets sold to?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 20:39
proteus wrote:
Tattoo- wrote:

I assume even 5% would give him voting rights in approve/veto who it gets sold to?
Voting rights yes, veto no.

But if for instance the Williams family decides to sell their shares, Wolff has no saying in if they can or not. There can be of course be a contract that if they sell, they first have to give him a chance to buy them (quite common)

Big Tea

Jolle wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 20:50
Big Tea wrote:
proteus wrote:

But if for instance the Williams family decides to sell their shares, Wolff has no saying in if they can or not. There can be of course be a contract that if they sell, they first have to give him a chance to buy them (quite common)
I did not mean a personal Veto, but as part of the shareholders. Not a huge amount, but it only takes one vote if its close.

Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 22:08
Jolle wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

I did not mean a personal Veto, but as part of the shareholders. Not a huge amount, but it only takes one vote if its close.
as far as I know, voting is not per "head" but per share. So you need 50,1 % of the shares as a yes or no. Wolff only has 5%, so just enough to have a vote, but not much influence.

Big Tea

Jolle wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 22:14
Big Tea wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 22:08
Jolle wrote:

as far as I know, voting is not per "head" but per share. So you need 50,1 % of the shares as a yes or no. Wolff only has 5%, so just enough to have a vote, but not much influence.
But, as I said. if it is 50/50, his vote could be the decider. Better than having no votes. The Williams family have most, and If I am right about thinking Williams is floated, there can be any mumber of 'owners' from other teams, or even Mercedes shareholders in their 'other hat'. other holders would probably look to him as a guide too as his reputation is known