[ 2020 ] Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jolle

Re: [ 2020 ] Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Big Tea wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 22:24
Jolle wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 22:14
Big Tea wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 22:08

I did not mean a personal Veto, but as part of the shareholders. Not a huge amount, but it only takes one vote if its close.
as far as I know, voting is not per "head" but per share. So you need 50,1 % of the shares as a yes or no. Wolff only has 5%, so just enough to have a vote, but not much influence.
But, as I said. if it is 50/50, his vote could be the decider. Better than having no votes. The Williams family have most, and If I am right about thinking Williams is floated, there can be any mumber of 'owners' from other teams, or even Mercedes shareholders in their 'other hat'. other holders would probably look to him as a guide too as his reputation is known
Don't forget, Toto Wolff is owner of Mercedes HPP. Apart from a 5% interest in Williams, he also has the same in Aston Martin (and 30% in AMG-Mercedes Petronas F1 team). He just makes sure that he's keeping his customers.

Edit,

my bad, Wolff doesn't own HPP, he does have a large stake in Mercedes F1 team (30%)

The Williams team is owned of at least 75% by a holding company in complete control of Frank Williams.

peterlittle

Interesting that most of the staff hires have some tenuous link to Mercedes, a possible Williams Mercedes Team run by Merc would not surprise me...
Peter Little
CAD Engineer
Hampshire. UK.

rohan

adrianjordan wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 00:11
rohan wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 16:32
McLaren looks to be in just as much (if not more) trouble than does Williams, in all honesty.
On what are you basing that?
The fact that they have just mortgaged their entire company, haven't had a title sponsor for years, and so on.

proteus

rohan wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 18:08
adrianjordan wrote:
rohan wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 16:32
McLaren looks to be in just as much (if not more) trouble than does Williams, in all honesty.
The fact that they have just mortgaged their entire company, haven't had a title sponsor for years, and so on.
They didnt mortage it, since they were unable to (they allready took it few years earlier). But they still have all 3 of their divisions, while Williams allready broke apart and the team is standing by its own without a title sponsor and their sponsor slots are worth much less than those on Mclaren which are actually filled with logos. Even with a budget cap, Williams is right now still unable to get together 145million.

This is no punt against Williams, but reality is that they have practically nothing left to offer. Right now it looks like they will be absorbed by Mercedes, playing a second fiddle like Sauber is doing.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

rohan

proteus wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 18:22
rohan wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:

They didnt mortage it, since they were unable to (they allready took it few years earlier). But they still have all 3 of their divisions, while Williams allready broke apart and the team is standing by its own without a title sponsor and their sponsor slots are worth much less than those on Mclaren which are actually filled with logos. Even with a budget cap, Williams is right now still unable to get together 145million.

This is no punt against Williams, but reality is that they have practically nothing left to offer. Right now it looks like they will be absorbed by Mercedes, playing a second fiddle like Sauber is doing.
Ahem: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14943 ... toric-cars

proteus

rohan wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 19:36
proteus wrote:
rohan wrote:

Ahem....it says "they might mortgage it", there is no report whatsoever they actually did it. Especially since their 2017 manouver of paying out Ron Dennis is supposed to prevent them doing this.

PowerandtheGlory

Re: Williams FW43

On the subject of the new Livery...

This year might well be Williams's last, as its own stand alone team before they become (insert_name- Williams)

Maybe they could do an Homage to the 1st ever Williams race car - White with some of the green detailing.

It might be a nice 'come full circle' and a way to give a nod to the team's achievements in F1 in its full lifespan.
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

santos

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 11:20

This year might well be Williams's last, as its own stand alone team before they become (insert_name- Williams)

Maybe they could do an Homage to the 1st ever Williams race car - White with some of the green detailing.

It might be a nice 'come full circle' and a way to give a nod to the team's achievements in F1 in its full lifespan.
Unless they found a new sponsor, i belive that the new livery it's the one they had without the Rokit sponsor. That is a cheaper solution. Changing the colors of the livery, would mean, repainting more parts of the car, all the kit from the team personal... Would be a wrong message from a team who is struggling for money.

wesley123

santos wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 11:59
PowerandtheGlory wrote:

Unless they found a new sponsor, i belive that the new livery it's the one they had without the Rokit sponsor. That is a cheaper solution. Changing the colors of the livery, would mean, repainting more parts of the car, all the kit from the team personal... Would be a wrong message from a team who is struggling for money.
Like painting the car is the most expensive thing of an F1 team. No one wants their brand on a car where the paint is peeling off from
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

santos

wesley123 wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 12:28
santos wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 11:59
PowerandtheGlory wrote:

Like painting the car is the most expensive thing of an F1 team. No one wants their brand on a car where the paint is peeling off from
For sure the paint of the car from this year isn't peeling off... Painting the car is not the most expensive thing, but why would you do it if you can save time and money.

wesley123

santos wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 16:51

For sure the paint of the car from this year isn't peeling off... Painting the car is not the most expensive thing, but why would you do it if you can save time and money.
The paint definitely gets damaged, fades over time etc. Resprays will happen regardless.

It's like being fired and thus you decide to not buy deodorant, razorblades and other care products to save money. Guess what; when you go for a job interview no one is going to hire someone who hasn't shaved in months, smells and generally looks like he hasn't taken care of himself.

You could argue that it saves money; but so does not developing a car or not building new parts. If anything, Williams needs to have new sponsorships, and they're not going to sponsor an half-arsed car on which the paint isn't even done properly.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

adrianjordan

I think it's more the cost of all the team clothing etc.

Did they have red on the driver's overalls before? Because I noticed George Russell was wearing just white and blue ones.

ETA Aside from the Rokit logo they didn't.

Possibly a sign that they'll just drop the red from the livery?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

rohan

proteus wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 12:45
rohan wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 19:36
proteus wrote:

Ahem....it says "they might mortgage it", there is no report whatsoever they actually did it. Especially since their 2017 manouver of paying out Ron Dennis is supposed to prevent them doing this.
As I was saying: "McLaren considering selling stake of up to 30% in its F1 team"
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15003 ... ts-f1-team

Looking forward to your apology.

proteus

rohan wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 04:25
proteus wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 12:45
As I was saying: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15003 ... ts-f1-team

Looking forward to your apology.
I know my english is not spectacular, but the word ''considering'', means something else than ''sold''. And if the selling actually happens, it is still only a partial sale, while Williams allready sold all other divisions, only owning a racing team, while Mclaren still is a group.

proteus

And this is a share selling, not mortgaging as you implied earlier.