[ 2020 ] Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bigblue

Re: [ 2020 ] Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Lotus102 wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 17:49
My guess is that 'head of design' is a managerial role, meaning day to day management of the design office, while the chief designer manages the actual design process without having to worry about person management - but that's not based on anything concrete, other than that I can't see any other way it makes sense that the deputy chief designer is head of design rather than the chief.
Yes, I kind of guessed at this too, but am none too sure. Someone ask Claire ...

JordanMugen

bigblue wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 21:46
Lotus102 wrote:
My guess is that 'head of design' is a managerial role, meaning day to day management of the design office, while the chief designer manages the actual design process without having to worry about person management - but that's not based on anything concrete, other than that I can't see any other way it makes sense that the deputy chief designer is head of design rather than the chief.
Yes, I kind of guessed at this too, but am none too sure. Someone ask Claire ...
Isn't the former position normally called "Engineering Director" or "Head of Engineering", while the "Chief Designer" would (logically) be involved in design and conceptual decisions?

It's no big deal for Williams to use different names, of course.

For comparison's sake, Red Bull uses the positions "Chief Technical Officer" (Newey) -- a chief designer type position, "Chief Engineering Officer" (Marshall) -- a chief mechanical engineer type position responsible for the mechanical design of the car, "Head of Aerodynamics" (Fallows) -- self-explantory, "Chief Engineer, Car Engineering" (Monaghan) -- a chief race engineer type position, "Technical Director" (Wache) - a technical manager and suspension/tyre engineer position, and "Head of Performance Engineering" (Waterhouse) -- unclear but has a vehicle dynamics background. https://redbullracing.redbull.com/team#

Presumably the Chief Engineering Director and Technical Director roles are most similar to William's Head of Design.

Lotus102

JordanMugen wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 12:28
bigblue wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 21:46
Lotus102 wrote:
Isn't the former position normally called "Engineering Director" or "Head of Engineering", while the "Chief Designer" would (logically) be involved in design and conceptual decisions?

It's no big deal for Williams to use different names, of course.
Some of these titles seem to be more about seniority than the detail of the job. Williams also has a Chief Engineer - Adam Carter - who had taken the ‘head of design’ role since the reshuffle following Paddy Lowe’s departure, I presume temporarily until someone could be recruited to the role. Doug McKiernan had held the Chief Engineer role since Feb 2018, but he stepped up to ‘design director’ (I think another temporary appointment) when Ed Wood and Dirk de Beer left. Since then, McKiernan has been described by Claire as ‘Chief Aerodynamicist’ a couple of times - I don’t know if that’s his formal title.

So they seem to have:

Chief designer - David Worner
Chief Engineer - Adam Carter
Deputy Chief Designer/Head of Design - Jonathan Carter
‘Chief Aerodynamicist’ - Doug McKiernan
Head of Trackside Engineering - Dave Robson

Robson and Adam Carter seemed to be holding a sort of de facto technical director position for much of last year. Right now they seem to have a fairly flat structure with no absolute head honcho on the technical side. They seem to have been fairly relaxed about that, with no real effort that I can see to appoint someone to that role

Lotus102

Hint at the colour scheme of the FW43 here

https://twitter.com/cepparacing/status/ ... 65409?s=21

Lotus102

Decent long read about Williams on the F1 site

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... ADQ1S.html

Notable bits for me are around outsourcing:
“We have gone through that process and we will be outsourcing a handful, a small proportion of parts, but keep the bulk within the manufacturing team we have in house. One thing we don’t want to do is lose the capability, particularly around certain parts like gearboxes. That needs to remain in house. We won’t be suddenly switching to a Haas model, but there are certain things that it makes sense financially and from a time efficiency perspective to outsource.”
...the appointment of a CTO
“I do think the CTO role probably needs to be filled at some point, but it has to be the right person. We’re not going to rush into it. We have some clear criteria for that person. They have got to add a huge amount over and above the senior technical management team. We haven’t found them yet.”

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Manoah2u

i dunno if i've missend anything, but has Latifi released his racing number?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

tomazy

Yes he did, he will be racing with number 6

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... WWAJl.html

proteus

I believe this red belongs to Rokit as part of their drinks programme.

If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Jip
Jip

Lotus102

Interesting. Blue with red trim, then?

DAMNINice

Re: Williams FW43 Speculation Thread

Does anyone know why they do not have any Mercedes reference?
Normally the costumer teams had a “powered by Mercedes” sticker or a three pointed star somewhere.
REal men play with twins!

PowerandtheGlory

DAMNINice wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 10:43
Normally the costumer teams had a “powered by Mercedes” sticker or a three pointed star somewhere.
Good point...
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

JordanMugen

DAMNINice wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 10:43
Mercedes customers never had that. There is a Mercedes emblem on driver uniforms and team uniforms. :wink:

Jip
Jip

Re: Williams FW43

Livery looks good. They are already on track today. Good signs compared to last year!