2021 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RedNEO

Re: 2021 Alpine F1 Team

diffuser wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 17:43
RedNEO wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 13:51
diffuser wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 17:31
Naturally though, if the car was doing better , you'd have better feeling for the 2022 package.
If anything this is maybe the most important reason why you don’t throw away years before they have even started. Team morale can have such a profound effect on everyone’s motivation to work harder and do better and nothing lifts a teams spirit and confidence more than strong results.

That’s why whenever someone just talks about writing off a year so blasé like it won’t have an effect on all the hard work people are doing it pains me. It should be an unwritten rule to NEVER EVER throw away a year before it’s even started, momentum is really important.

I agree but I don't think it applies if you go in with the mentality of taking advantage of the change in regulations for 2022. They knowingly said going into 2021 that thier focus was on 2022. I think it just effects us externally that aren't really sure what they're doing internally. If they are doing what they said and shifted their focus to 2022 very early on. Then it's a moot point. In 2008, Brawn worked on the 2009 year car from the get go. That didn't hurt the engineer confidence. They still came out with a beast in 2009.
Brawn is the exception not the rule and ironically BMW said and did the same thing in 2008 and didn’t come out with a good car so it’s not some recipe for success that some might think it is. The bottom line is if you haven’t been getting good results for years and the car has been going backwards that’s going to have a negative effect on the team and it’s only going to get worse like we are seeing in 2021 unless you stop the bleeding.

This year the tone changed from throwing it away after Cyril left to trying to get the best out of it. Unfortunately it’s just coming a bit too late to correct the slide downwards, so far anyway.

But that mind set of letting a year go before you’ve even tried is just so wrong.. it’s the opposite of how a F1 team operates. They always want the best results and having the opposite mindset can let complacency set in and excuses for why they are not doing well. It’s such a negative thing to even try and introduce into a team where every member should be giving 110% all the time.

Miha_v

The main question is - does the team understand issues with the current car? Design of cars may change completely in 2022, but work structure, problems solving methods, etc... will probably stay the same - and if those methods are working well (even if they don't have resources / time to bring upgrades atm), there is optimism for stronger performance next year.

diffuser

Miha_v wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 19:30
The main question is - does the team understand issues with the current car? Design of cars may change completely in 2022, but work structure, problems solving methods, etc... will probably stay the same - and if those methods are working well (even if they don't have resources / time to bring upgrades atm), there is optimism for stronger performance next year.
If I was allowed to ask, I can't remember the CEO's name, a question. I would ask "what is Fry spending his time on?" ... You could add Aero head too. If the answer is mostly 2022..well you have your answer.

You could expand the question to "How many/what percentage of the people in the factory you have working on 2021?"

diffuser

RedNEO wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 17:20
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... spielberg/
Michael Schmidt with an article about Alpine and ALO.

important things:
+ engineers say: we have a good car but not a good understanding of the tyres.
+ car is good on tracks with fluid corners
+ not good on tracks where are a lot of corners with a short curve radius (like Austria)
+ tyre management was on par with Alpha Tauri and Aston Martin last week, better than before
+ Permane is not wondering that ALO is fast again, he never met a driver who is more flexible than ALO, a driver with "no driving style", able to adapt to every car and tyre
+ engineers are impressed by his feedback and experience
+ The more ALO confirmes his evaluations and wishes with results the more OCO will fall behind
+ one enineers says: we warned Esteban, when ALO is getting comfortable and has everything under control he is barely beatable.
+ ALO angry about the C5 this week, this favours the fast cars, midfield cars need the C5 to qualify inside the top10, but tyres will fall apart soon in the race
+ According to ALO engineers have a plan to be faster this week, if it doesn't work, he wishes rain.
Credit to blacky from autosport for translation

Thanks for point us to the article... it was a good read ...

Alonso to test driver Guanyu Zhou " You breaka my car, I breaka you face!"

radosav

This is awesome.

RedNEO

diffuser wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 23:09
RedNEO wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 17:20
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... spielberg/
Michael Schmidt with an article about Alpine and ALO.

important things:
+ engineers say: we have a good car but not a good understanding of the tyres.
+ car is good on tracks with fluid corners
+ not good on tracks where are a lot of corners with a short curve radius (like Austria)
+ tyre management was on par with Alpha Tauri and Aston Martin last week, better than before
+ Permane is not wondering that ALO is fast again, he never met a driver who is more flexible than ALO, a driver with "no driving style", able to adapt to every car and tyre
+ engineers are impressed by his feedback and experience
+ The more ALO confirmes his evaluations and wishes with results the more OCO will fall behind
+ one enineers says: we warned Esteban, when ALO is getting comfortable and has everything under control he is barely beatable.
+ ALO angry about the C5 this week, this favours the fast cars, midfield cars need the C5 to qualify inside the top10, but tyres will fall apart soon in the race
+ According to ALO engineers have a plan to be faster this week, if it doesn't work, he wishes rain.
Credit to blacky from autosport for translation

Thanks for point us to the article... it was a good read ...

Alonso to test driver Guanyu Zhou " You breaka my car, I breaka you face!"
Lol yeah he better not p*ss in Alonso’s seat like Button ;)

diffuser

This is a concerning statement ...

https://racingnews365.com/horner-reveal ... ine-supply

"The most natural thing was to have a discussion with the existing suppliers," Horner said on the Beyond The Grid podcast.

"Mercedes was a very short conversation! Toto obviously wasn't particularly keen on that one. Renault's aspirations of a team didn't include supplying a team like Red Bull,

Maybe that's BEFORE the switch to Alpine, hopefully thier asperations have changed.

I have seen quotes from Horner saying that Renault funding was just to stay in F1 and not to win. Renault were happy with that but RBR wasn't.

RedNEO

My interpretation is that currently Red Bull is above Ren/Alp so they would be building an engine to fit Red Bulls needs so it wouldn’t benefit Alpine and that’s fair for both parties to want different things.

diffuser

RedNEO wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 19:14
My interpretation is that currently Red Bull is above Ren/Alp so they would be building an engine to fit Red Bulls needs so it wouldn’t benefit Alpine and that’s fair for both parties to want different things.

I know for a fact that when he was refering to Renault that he meant that they didn't want to spend F1 winning $$$ on the PU. Now that was back when they were Renault and before the CAP.

The CAP is now basically where Renault were spending.

testing

Miha_v wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 19:30
Design of cars may change completely in 2022, but work structure, problems solving methods, etc... will probably stay the same - and if those methods are working well (even if they don't have resources / time to bring upgrades atm), there is optimism for stronger performance next year.
:!:

Unfortunately, Alpine does not look very strong in this regard...
Alpine/Renault has been struggling with balance issues for the last 3+ seasons...

selvam_e2002

we are getting more time in windtunnel starting today 1st July 2021. Will Alpine use that for this year car or next year car?

diffuser

selvam_e2002 wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 04:12
we are getting more time in windtunnel starting today 1st July 2021. Will Alpine use that for this year car or next year car?
Why do you say we're getting more wind tunnel time?

Mclarensenna

diffuser wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 06:06
selvam_e2002 wrote:
Why do you say we're getting more wind tunnel time?
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes- ... nnel-time/
Wind tunnel re adjustment times explained a bit better in article above

RedNEO

selvam_e2002 wrote:
Good question. I’d say next years car has taken top priority since a few races ago now.

diffuser

RedNEO wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 12:52
selvam_e2002 wrote:
Good question. I’d say next years car has taken top priority since a few races ago now.
Not to mention that any manufacturing you need is gonna take 8 weeks from when you finish up the design.