2021 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Chanman141

Re: 2021 Alpine F1 Team

Gutted for Ocon - missed out by a tenth!
Alonso didn't really turn up this weekend

diffuser

Ocon got lucky that he stayed out while others pitted and then the race got red flagged. He drove well though.

Alonso was nowhere. Worst race of the year for him.

PhillipM

I mean Ocon has to be happy with that, bittersweet a little but honestly a beautiful drive and battle with Bottas.

factory_p

diffuser wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 02:15

Alonso was having troubles with ERS deployment early in the race. Any idea if it got fixed during the race or if he had to live with it to the end?

diffuser

factory_p wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 15:43
diffuser wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 02:15

Alonso was having troubles with ERS deployment early in the race. Any idea if it got fixed during the race or if he had to live with it to the end?

My guess is that's when he got passed twice before the first safety car ?

factory_p

diffuser wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 18:29
factory_p wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 15:43
My guess is that's when he got passed twice before the first safety car ?
Yes that's when he radioed about it but no idea when (or if) it stopped

RedNEO

Alonso looks back to his normal self in Abu Dhabi.. let’s keep this up for the rest of the weekend.

RedNEO

Nice lap from Ocon. Alpine look unusually quick but I’m guessing it’s just engine related because we know Mercedes engined cars degrade more and everyone is on old Friday engines but hope it’s real pace.

diffuser

RedNEO wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 15:42
Nice lap from Ocon. Alpine look unusually quick but I’m guessing it’s just engine related because we know Mercedes engined cars degrade more and everyone is on old Friday engines but hope it’s real pace.
They were heros in FP2 of the last race too. They've also looked good in FP2 in may races this last year and no so good in Quali. So we will not know until we know.

peewon

lio007

So even Green is considered to go to Alpine:
https://f1i.autojournal.fr/infos/transf ... e-precise/
The absence of a true technical director at Enstone, a post theoretically held by veteran Pat Fry, would be filled by the hiring of Andrew Green, Szafnauer's accomplice at Silverstone for years.

The American would also bring in his luggage the Austrian sponsor BWT ... with a touch of pink on the Alpine in 2022?
Google translate

peewon

In addition to the return, foreseen then denied, of Davide Brivio in MotoGP, it is now a question of seeing the executive director Marcin Budkowski join Aston Martin… to succeed Szafnauer!
This (losing Budkowski to AM) would not be good and the whole thing a net negative for Alpine in my opinion, if true.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 14:50
In addition to the return, foreseen then denied, of Davide Brivio in MotoGP, it is now a question of seeing the executive director Marcin Budkowski join Aston Martin… to succeed Szafnauer!
This (losing Budkowski to AM) would not be good and the whole thing a net negative for Alpine in my opinion, if true.
You'd think there would be a gardening time of 1 year for both of them, if that were true. So they wouldn't start before 2023. The way they make it sound is as if Rossi went looking for Szafnauer.

They also talk about Andrew Green coming over. How could the CTO come over without a gardening leave...?

peewon

diffuser wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 19:26
peewon wrote:
You'd think there would be a gardening time of 1 year for both of them, if that were true. So they wouldn't start before 2023. The way they make it sound is as if Rossi went looking for Szafnauer.

They also talk about Andrew Green coming over. How could the CTO come over without a gardening leave...?
Stating the obvious but I guess gardening leaves would depend on their respective contracts. Im not very familiar with what industry standards are in F1, but I suspect there are financial incentives for the employee, baked into those gardening leave terms. Budkowski has stated that Enstone dont even spend upto upcoming cost cap level so I wonder if teams like Enstone can afford to put those terms in or for extended time periods. I dont know.

As for Sazfnauer, based on the desperate, borderline unhinged statements (threatening legal action against regulation changes) last season, I presume he had an ultimatum from Stroll and bringing in Whitmarsh was the first domino to fall, signalling the end of road for Szafnauer. Based on rumors that Szafnauer could possibly bring sponsors (BWT & others?) with him to Alpine, I could see this as being a financial get from Rossi. Maybe thats why he talks about a 4-5 year plan. Build resources and foundation first, then think about competing. All speculation on my part, so massive pinch of salt and all that.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 20:35
diffuser wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 19:26
peewon wrote:

Stating the obvious but I guess gardening leaves would depend on their respective contracts. Im not very familiar with what industry standards are in F1, but I suspect there are financial incentives for the employee, baked into those gardening leave terms. Budkowski has stated that Enstone dont even spend upto upcoming cost cap level so I wonder if teams like Enstone can afford to put those terms in or for extended time periods. I dont know.

As for Sazfnauer, based on the desperate, borderline unhinged statements (threatening legal action against regulation changes) last season, I presume he had an ultimatum from Stroll and bringing in Whitmarsh was the first domino to fall, signalling the end of road for Szafnauer. Based on rumors that Szafnauer could possibly bring sponsors (BWT & others?) with him to Alpine, I could see this as being a financial get from Rossi. Maybe thats why he talks about a 4-5 year plan. Build resources and foundation first, then think about competing. All speculation on my part, so massive pinch of salt and all that.
You've got to believe that these 2 have access to all the aero their respective teams are working on. So allowing them to switch without gardening leave is just giving away everything you done, more so for someone like Green.

Right but he did say they were close to the cap...

Yeah I agree on the Sazfnauer and BWT. Let's hope they have all the infrastructure they need in Enstone.....