2021 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PowerandtheGlory

Re: 2021 Alpine F1 Team

diffuser wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 00:01
I like looking at the the top speed at the finish line and at the speed trap on tracks like Bahrain where the Speed trap is at the end of the start finish straight. This track is less interesting cause that straight isn't that long. You can still who's running more DF cause of the higher speeds at the finish line.

From that I can see that the Ferraris are still struggling for power. They have low DF and still low top speed at the speed trap. Look at Vettel, that car is off the charts ...to bad it doesn't have a good driver. That car looks to be running lots of DF and still hits the high top speed, so little drag. Same with AT...still it is only 1 type of corner, they maybe struggling on other types of corners....

https://i.ibb.co/PzTq0F3/Screenshot-fro ... -42-48.png
From which session is this top speed chart, there’s another sheet doing the rounds on SM where alonso was fastest and ocon 4th..
Thanks
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:I like looking at the the top speed at the finish line and at the speed trap on tracks like Bahrain where the Speed trap is at the end of the start finish straight. This track is less interesting cause that straight isn't that long. You can still who's running more DF cause of the higher speeds at the finish line.

From that I can see that the Ferraris are still struggling for power. They have low DF and still low top speed at the speed trap. Look at Vettel, that car is off the charts ...to bad it doesn't have a good driver. That car looks to be running lots of DF and still hits the high top speed, so little drag. Same with AT...still it is only 1 type of corner, they maybe struggling on other types of corners....

What I infer from that information is that teams like Ferrari and Mclaren where running more Downforce than the AT’s and AM’s... That’s why they don’t gain as much at the end of the straight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

diffuser

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 16:52
diffuser wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 00:01
I like looking at the the top speed at the finish line and at the speed trap on tracks like Bahrain where the Speed trap is at the end of the start finish straight. This track is less interesting cause that straight isn't that long. You can still who's running more DF cause of the higher speeds at the finish line.

From which session is this top speed chart, there’s another sheet doing the rounds on SM where alonso was fastest and ocon 4th..
Thanks
The only one worth while, quali!

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 18:16
diffuser wrote:I like looking at the the top speed at the finish line and at the speed trap on tracks like Bahrain where the Speed trap is at the end of the start finish straight. This track is less interesting cause that straight isn't that long. You can still who's running more DF cause of the higher speeds at the finish line.

What I infer from that information is that teams like Ferrari and Mclaren where running more Downforce than the AT’s and AM’s... That’s why they don’t gain as much at the end of the straight.

I'd expect a car running more DF to have a higher speed at the finish line. The not accelerate as much to the speed trap. The Top speeds in Bahrain aren't that high, the straight isn't that long.

diffuser

Little différent this year. Normally we start the year with a number of fly aways then hit Europe in Spain. That's where we have the first major upgrades.

The 3 weeks between the first and the 2nd race is alot of time. Then another 2 week gap before we hit our first back to backs.

We need a big push of upgrades before we hit the back to backs.

Jambier

I think they will do some updates on floor and diffuser but then work on 2022

Like all others except two top teams.

But with Imola we will have 2021 cars on another track it can change ranking

Ground Effect

Sounds like it’ll be a tough 2021 for Alpine, they’ve got to be heavily invested in 2022 already. But didn’t someone on here tell us they’ll be the surprise package this season, dark horse and all that? PZ, I think.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ocon ... s/5987744/
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 13:16
Sounds like it’ll be a tough 2021 for Alpine, they’ve got to be heavily invested in 2022 already. But didn’t someone on here tell us they’ll be the surprise package this season, dark horse and all that? PZ, I think.

I think this early in 2021, there still isn't alot of manufacturing you can do, cause 2022 It's still being developed. So I believe they need to keep working on developing the 2021 till July August. Then switch whatever dev left on 2021 on 2022. That will get your last new parts for SPA ish.

They have a major upgrade coming at Imola and another for Portugal. We'll see how those go.

Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 15:02
Ground Effect wrote:

I think this early in 2021, there still isn't alot of manufacturing you can do, cause 2022 It's still being developed. So I believe they need to keep working on developing the 2021 till July August. Then switch whatever dev left on 2021 on 2022. That will get your last new parts for SPA ish.

They have a major upgrade coming at Imola and another for Portugal. We'll see how those go.
SPA-ish sounds kinda late, don’t you think? I feel after the usual Barcelona upgrades, that are usually significant, teams would by this time accept their fate on 2021. Plus there’s a budget cap now, wind tunnel and dyno restrictions, so you’ve got to be prudent.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

LM10

diffuser wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 22:12
SmallSoldier wrote:

I'd expect a car running more DF to have a higher speed at the finish line. The not accelerate as much to the speed trap. The Top speeds in Bahrain aren't that high, the straight isn't that long.
By that logic the Williams has more DF than the Ferrari.

diffuser

LM10 wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 17:54
diffuser wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 22:12
SmallSoldier wrote:

By that logic the Williams has more DF than the Ferrari.
They have a higher speed at the finish line but accelerate faster between the finish line and the speed trap.

It becomes exponentially harder to over come drag the faster you go.
Russ 317.2 - 293.6 = 23.6 KPH
Lati 317.8 - 291.1 = 26.7 KPH
LeCL 312.4 - 290.0 = 22.4 KPH
Sain 311.7 - 289.0 = 22.7 KPH

Almost even But Latifi is surely running less DF. Don't forget how far a driver makes it in quali and enviromental changes, wind switching direction from Q2 to Q3, can blur these numbers.

JordanMugen

Ground Effect wrote:

How did this happen? Wasn't Renault supposed to be fighting for titles in the fifth season -- I don't understand!? :?:

If the success of the 2022 Power Unit is critical, why did Alpine not bring it forward for use in the 2021 season for testing purposes!? AFAIK power unit changes are not covered by tokens, and Honda were able to bring a heavily revised power unit without spending tokens.

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 17:36
XRayF1 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 12:59
One of Alpine's weak points: high heat
The team also wants to find out why it is not as fast in high heat as in cooler temperatures. This phenomenon was evident in the morning and evening sessions in Bahrain, he said. "Our homework is therefore to find out why we are less strong when it is hot," says Budkowski.
Good Lad, thanks
Obviously, Alpine need a larger engine cover for more cooling. :P :lol:

diffuser

JordanMugen wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 16:10
Ground Effect wrote:

How did this happen? Wasn't Renault supposed to be fighting for titles in the fifth season -- I don't understand!? :?:

If the success of the 2022 Power Unit is critical, why did Alpine not bring it forward for use in the 2021 season for testing purposes!? AFAIK power unit changes are not covered by tokens, and Honda were able to bring a heavily revised power unit without spending tokens.

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 17:36
XRayF1 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 12:59
One of Alpine's weak points: high heat
The team also wants to find out why it is not as fast in high heat as in cooler temperatures. This phenomenon was evident in the morning and evening sessions in Bahrain, he said. "Our homework is therefore to find out why we are less strong when it is hot," says Budkowski.
Good Lad, thanks
Obviously, Alpine need a larger engine cover for more cooling. :P :lol:
Not sure what you folks are talking about. When I read the refered articals, it seems like people are just reading the headlines and not reading the contents.

1 - The "ocon-alpine-no-margin-battle-points" was basically about how Ocon needs to avoid yellow flags in Qualli to get into Q3 and therefore make it possible to end up in the points.

2 - Wasn't Renault supposed to be fighting for titles in the fifth season.....this is Alpine and the guy who said that is nolonger here. Plus the 5 years was in reference to the new rules which got pushed back to next year.

toraabe

Because of change in layout of the engine it wasn't ready for this year. It took Mercedes and Honda some years to make the turbo reliable

diffuser

toraabe wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 18:01
Because of change in layout of the engine it wasn't ready for this year. It took Mercedes and Honda some years to make the turbo reliable
My guess it is a no go next year cause it will be too high risk.