2021 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jambier

Re: 2021 Alpine F1 Team

For 2022 Alpine will bring:

- the split turbo engine, that was supposed to be ready for 2021
- but with the freeze they are also bringing the 23 engine

So basically a big engine update for 22, trying to put it all together like Honda did for 21 actually

Hopefully it will help Alpine a lot, then there is the chassis side where we still need to see some proof of good work

diffuser

Jambier wrote:
10 Apr 2021, 12:42

So basically a big engine update for 22, trying to put it all together like Honda did for 21 actually

Hopefully it will help Alpine a lot, then there is the chassis side where we still need to see some proof of good work

From what I've read to date, that is true except for the front compressor. In March Taffin said the front compressor was a maybe. They are still evaluating it.

I'm not a fan of them being on the fence about that. I'd prefer they'd made a decision on it and spend time on improving the packaging. Hopefully that is a smoke screen and they have decided already.

Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
10 Apr 2021, 15:27
Jambier wrote:

From what I've read to date, that is true except for the front compressor. In March Taffin said the front compressor was a maybe. They are still evaluating it.

I'm not a fan of them being on the fence about that. I'd prefer they'd made a decision on it and spend time on improving the packaging. Hopefully that is a smoke screen and they have decided already.
They will definitely go for it, in my opinion. They didn’t hire all those Mercedes engineers for nothing. Most likely they’ve been assessing for longer than we think. Matthew Harman has been there since 2018. It’s not unusual for them to be coy with the media while fully well knowing that’s what they’ll do next year.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
10 Apr 2021, 17:29
diffuser wrote:
Jambier wrote:

They will definitely go for it, in my opinion. They didn’t hire all those Mercedes engineers for nothing. Most likely they’ve been assessing for longer than we think. Matthew Harman has been there since 2018. It’s not unusual for them to be coy with the media while fully well knowing that’s what they’ll do next year.
I kind of hope so but worried about possible reliability issues.

Jambier

diffuser wrote:
10 Apr 2021, 17:51
Ground Effect wrote:
diffuser wrote:

What is important is performance, for a work team such as Alpine.
Being reliable to finish P5-P8 in every race is no interest at all.

They need to take risk, if there are reliability issue, they will put reliability upgrades

diffuser

Jambier wrote:
10 Apr 2021, 18:29
diffuser wrote:
10 Apr 2021, 17:51
Ground Effect wrote:

What is important is performance, for a work team such as Alpine.
Being reliable to finish P5-P8 in every race is no interest at all.

They need to take risk, if there are reliability issue, they will put reliability upgrades
Maybe, I don't think there is a performance improvement in using a front compressor. If there isn't, then it all comes down to packaging. Alpine, from what I've seen, don't have tight packaging like RBR or Ferrari. Those PU look like they put the PU cover on then filled the space between the PU and cover with some kind of liquid filler that then solidifies. So much can be improved.

JordanMugen

Luca de Meo:
The current conditions - and this I say it very clearly - especially economical conditions, of transfer of technology between one team and another, the ones that are defined by the federation - are actually not very favourable. So the price that other teams pay to access the technology of people like us that make the initial investment, it’s not a good business case, if you want my opinion. I said that already a lot of times. I don’t want to enter into numbers, but I can tell you that this is not a good deal. It’s only made so that smaller teams that don’t have the ability to produce an engine, and this is the large majority, can get into the game. But for us economically, it doesn’t change a lot.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-p ... o/6254536/

Yikes, these customer teams riding on the coat-tails of the investments of the noble power unit manufacturers sound dreadful (according to de Meo at least). Surely customers should pay a fair price for the Renault customer power units, and suffer the reduction in aerodynamic performance that this large cost would entail!?

Morteza

Company cars for Alonso and Ocon

Last edited by Morteza on 15 Apr 2021, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

RedNEO

That livery looks nice on them.

RedNEO

RedNEO

Love this!

RedNEO

Despite the update AMUS think we will be battling AR/AM and even Williams..

They need to find bigger steps.

selvam_e2002

It seems like they forgot 2021 and preparing 2022 with this year car.

RedNEO

selvam_e2002 wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 09:33
It seems like they forgot 2021 and preparing 2022 with this year car.
They are still struggling to understand the car.. it would be unwise to switch focus completely without making sure you have a good understanding how to make a car go fast.

Jambier

RedNEO wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 07:37
Despite the update AMUS think we will be battling AR/AM and even Williams..

They need to find bigger steps.
It is really the end of the road for this 2019 car to be honest.
Why spend too much time on this? Let’s work on 2022