2021 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Juzh

Re: 2021 Alpine F1 Team

diffuser wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 01:39
Once upon a time it was a big advantage having a Newey. You could pay Newey and still have double the personnel working at RBR than Alpine. Today his salary counts towards the CAP, not having a salary of $10M a year
Unless he's in top 3 salaried employees, then he's exempt from it, and I'm pretty sure he is, along with Horner and one other person.

diffuser

Juzh wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 10:02
diffuser wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 01:39
Once upon a time it was a big advantage having a Newey. You could pay Newey and still have double the personnel working at RBR than Alpine. Today his salary counts towards the CAP, not having a salary of $10M a year
Unless he's in top 3 salaried employees, then he's exempt from it, and I'm pretty sure he is, along with Horner and one other person.
Well that sucks. I didn't know that.

Andres125sx

diffuser wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 18:35
selvam_e2002 wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 14:21
Renault aka Alpine cannot abandon this year for next year success. It won't happen like that. You need to fix your existing issue else it will follow you for next year. Don't know where they are heading for.

Normally that's true. In this case, next year's car will be completely new. Everything from the front wing to the rear wing. Nothing on this year's car will carry over with the exception of the Halo.
And wind tunnel correlation. That´s key no matter what are the rules and that can be tested and improved this season even if the rules will be completely different. I think that´s their target this season

Tooooom

I was wondering if we were not seeing the first signs of a behind-the-scenes battle for power between Brivio and Budkowski.

As Budkowski is constantly giving excuses about the behavior of the car, the fact that they had a bad winter, how much work it is to organize the factory, etc. Brivio is staying pretty calm giving the usual good PR talk "we're making progress,we're getting there, the mood is good".

It feels more and more like Brivio is the steady captain, like he is getting in the driver's seat (maybe for the better).

diffuser

Tooooom wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 17:10
I was wondering if we were not seeing the first signs of a behind-the-scenes battle for power between Brivio and Budkowski.

As Budkowski is constantly giving excuses about the behavior of the car, the fact that they had a bad winter, how much work it is to organize the factory, etc. Brivio is staying pretty calm giving the usual good PR talk "we're making progress,we're getting there, the mood is good".

It feels more and more like Brivio is the steady captain, like he is getting in the driver's seat (maybe for the better).

Brivio is Racing director No factory responcibility, all track side Management.
Budkowski is EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, the factory falls under him...

The way I see it anyways.

Tooooom

diffuser wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 19:56
Tooooom wrote:

Sure, but you'd agree that this structure with no team boss is pretty particular (knowing that Brivio has that experience) and leaves a power vacuum. It certainly doesn't mean that the structure isn't bound to change.

diffuser

Tooooom wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 20:59
diffuser wrote:
Tooooom wrote:

Sure, but you'd agree that this structure with no team boss is pretty particular (knowing that Brivio has that experience) and leaves a power vacuum. It certainly doesn't mean that the structure isn't bound to change.
The way I see it, there should be 2 people reporting to Bud. It should be Brevio and the team principle. Instead there are 3, Brevio, Fry and Taffin.

Don't kid yourself Bud has technical chops, not that he needs them doing what he's doing, he was head of Aero at McLaren back in the day.

Tooooom

diffuser wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 00:26
Tooooom wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 20:59
diffuser wrote:

The way I see it, there should be 2 people reporting to Bud. It should be Brevio and the team principle. Instead there are 3, Brevio, Fry and Taffin.

Don't kid yourself Bud has technical chops, not that he needs them doing what he's doing, he was head of Aero at McLaren back in the day.
I thought brivio and bud were both reporting to Rossi, hence the dual head management structure.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/alpine-te ... planation/

I know about bud being an aero genius but since he’s more visible he doesn’t really exude confidence...

selvam_e2002

any new update for Alpine?

diffuser

Tooooom wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 03:30

I thought brivio and bud were both reporting to Rossi, hence the dual head management stru

https://www.planetf1.com/news/alpine-te ... planation/

I know about bud being an aero genius but since he’s more visible he doesn’t really exude confidence...
Looks like you're right,. Regardless, their jobs don't cross over anyways. One is in charge of the factories, the other the track.

RedNEO

Andres125sx wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 09:56
Renault aka Alpine cannot abandon this year for next year success. It won't happen like that. You need to fix your existing issue else it will follow you for next year. Don't know where they are heading for.
Yeah it’s unfortunate.. this all stems back to 2019 under different leadership when we first started hearing about “focusing on 2021” which was the wrong idea.

That’s a solid year they lost right there not working on improving there simulations and correlation by proving out real updates on track. They could have done that with a new chassis which would have had the new split turbo a year ahead of time in 2020 and then they could have been working in one direction on the engine front going into 2021 with packaging and a more relevant car ect..

RedNEO

selvam_e2002 wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 03:48
any new update for Alpine?
You’d hope so they need them thick and fast but even more important they need to make sure correlation is working.

RedNEO

Alonso P5
Ocon P6

Strong performance in FP2. But the weekend is still young hope they can carry this through into tomorrow and Sunday

Hoffman900

RedNEO wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 10:53
Andres125sx wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 09:56
Yeah it’s unfortunate.. this all stems back to 2019 under different leadership when we first started hearing about “focusing on 2021” which was the wrong idea.

That’s a solid year they lost right there not working on improving there simulations and correlation by proving out real updates on track. They could have done that with a new chassis which would have had the new split turbo a year ahead of time in 2020 and then they could have been working in one direction on the engine front going into 2021 with packaging and a more relevant car ect..
Exactly. The teams that will have more CFD time will spend more of that time on correlation issues and not having the talent to fix it.

Teams like Redbull and Mercedes have been fixing these issues so they’ll be able to utilize more of their CFD time constructively, not fixing issues.

I’d argue the field will be more spread out next year than the last two. Stable rules tend to bunch the field up, and change is where teams with top talent can make the biggest gains over mid / back marker teams.

draghixa

Alonso like fast in long run doesn't he?