2021 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2021 Alpine F1 Team

Hoffman900 wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 18:21
RedNEO wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 18:15
Hoffman900 wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 17:01

Exactly. The teams that will have more CFD time will spend more of that time on correlation issues and not having the talent to fix it.

Teams like Redbull and Mercedes have been fixing these issues so they’ll be able to utilize more of their CFD time constructively, not fixing issues.

I’d argue the field will be more spread out next year than the last two. Stable rules tend to bunch the field up, and change is where teams with top talent can make the biggest gains over mid / back marker teams.
Yeah I’m worried about the field spread next year. How many times have we seen Mercedes or Red Bull bring upgrades that they need to test extensively and then take them off because they don’t work yet? It’s rare isn’t it!

Alpine had to basically throw away testing and pretty much all the practice sessions of the last two races trying to figure out there correlation on some floor parts. They have no choice now because it’s all work that should’ve been happening 2019/20.. and they have some serious catching up to do.
Exactly. The CFD limits make sense (to shrink the gap) if all the teams could use same the % of their time constructively. It doesn't fix it if teams with the most CFD time are chasing correlation issues which causes them to miss the mark from the get-go. Then what, just hang out and wait for the rules to change again before trying, again? #-o

My experience in racing is the same people who win, win regardless of rule changes. They just know how to do it (as long as they keep the talent on board). We could go from racing F1 cars to lawnmowers, and the same people would still be winning.
Especially when they have double the money and double the people.

Think you're experience doesn't lend itself well to what's happening next year. We have rule changes and the top 3 will have half the budget. They will lose a good part of the talent.

I don't think the computer CDF is limited. Just wind tunnel.

GoranF1

1.18.735 The deleted FA time from Fp3 would put him P3 in Quali.
The time could have actualy be faster If he had not oversteer in that Corner.
I dont know WTF happend in q
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

hecan

radosav wrote:
01 May 2021, 17:54
https://youtu.be/bHbKnZJzRS0
Poor guy. He's clearly frustrated with his performance today. I really hope he can get up to speed before the end of the season. If he's not able... sadly I can see him retiring from F1 and focusing on the triple crown.

Joker

I thought he looked quite good until Q2. The sudden change in grip levels at the end didn't do him any favor, but still Alpine looking not too bad with the overall performance, so points for both drivers should be achievable.

radosav

Joker wrote:
01 May 2021, 20:49
I thought he looked quite good until Q2. The sudden change in grip levels at the end didn't do him any favor, but still Alpine looking not too bad with the overall performance, so points for both drivers should be achievable.
same thing happened to ricciardo, car has potential, when will alonso unlock his, we have to wait and see

radosav

is it me or alonso uses lower gears more than ocon

selvam_e2002

diffuser wrote:
01 May 2021, 17:50
radosav wrote:
01 May 2021, 17:37
diffuser wrote:
01 May 2021, 17:31

What makes you think he's finished ?

Very varied qualifying, a gust a wind at a different time made a big difference in time. Luck had alot to do with times.

You think Ricardo's finished too ?
plus it took up to two preparation laps to heat up tyres, anything can happen, one mistake and you are out big time

Ocon didn't win his 2nd quali against Ric until the last race last year.

It took about 10 races for Ocon to start getting close to Ric.
the time difference between Ocon and Alonso tooooo big. 9thent. I don't remember Ocon defeated by Ric with this much of Margin.
what the hell Alpine doing? can they send Alonso for multiple runs in Q2? He/Alpine are not aiming/fighting with Mec and Ferrari. then why they keep him and send him with 1 time run at end of the Q2. If it is wind issue, can he run 2 runs in second try? As Alonso new to F1 after 2 year break, Alpine should give him multiple run in Qualy to gain some confidence and gain some places. I would blame Alpine for poor qualy strategy for Alonso.

diffuser

selvam_e2002 wrote:
02 May 2021, 02:46
diffuser wrote:
01 May 2021, 17:50
radosav wrote:
01 May 2021, 17:37

plus it took up to two preparation laps to heat up tyres, anything can happen, one mistake and you are out big time

Ocon didn't win his 2nd quali against Ric until the last race last year.

It took about 10 races for Ocon to start getting close to Ric.
the time difference between Ocon and Alonso tooooo big. 9thent. I don't remember Ocon defeated by Ric with this much of Margin.
what the hell Alpine doing? can they send Alonso for multiple runs in Q2? He/Alpine are not aiming/fighting with Mec and Ferrari. then why they keep him and send him with 1 time run at end of the Q2. If it is wind issue, can he run 2 runs in second try? As Alonso new to F1 after 2 year break, Alpine should give him multiple run in Qualy to gain some confidence and gain some places. I would blame Alpine for poor qualy strategy for Alonso.
Think you're the only problem. You're over thinking it. It will come.

max_speed

Alonso was on 🔥 in last 10-15 laps was actually on par with lewis in terms of speed. just finished 1.1 second behind Ocon. i guess if he would have qualified where ocon did may be he would have taken a shot at lecrec. very happy :)

diffuser

So we've now finished the cycle of upgrades that started with race 2. New Front wing, bardgeboard upgrade and floor in front of rear tires, rear brake wiglets in Imola. New Diffuser and rear brake ducts screen for Portugal. Lets hope that's made the car faster and we'll keeping extracting more from the upgraded parts.

diffuser

max_speed wrote:
02 May 2021, 17:49
Alonso was on 🔥 in last 10-15 laps was actually on par with lewis in terms of speed. just finished 1.1 second behind Ocon. i guess if he would have qualified where ocon did may be he would have taken a shot at lecrec. very happy :)

I agree but I have my doubts that Ocon was flat out at the end. looked like he gave up on catching LeClerc and was cruzing to the end of the race. On the other hand Alonzo needs to keep pushing to get more familiar with the feeling of the edge. So yeah, solid race from Fernando and Ocon.

JPower

3rd quickest car on the day IMO. Alonso's second stint pace was extremely impressive.

ALO_Power

max_speed wrote:
01 May 2021, 17:09
looks like Alonso is finished 😞. i had very high hopes from him and looking at ocon performance i guess my expectations were valid. older alonso would have qualified 5th.
You sure about that now? In 1 more lap he would even pass Ocon today :mrgreen:
diffuser wrote:
02 May 2021, 18:03
max_speed wrote:
02 May 2021, 17:49

I agree but I have my doubts that Ocon was flat out at the end. looked like he gave up on catching LeClerc and was cruzing to the end of the race. On the other hand Alonzo needs to keep pushing to get more familiar with the feeling of the edge. So yeah, solid race from Fernando and Ocon.
Even if he wasn't, Alonso was closing the gap to other cars like nothing. Obviously he's getting closer to his standards. Killer race.

RedNEO

Alonso could have been P5 easily with a better qualifying. Soon he will master every aspect again I can’t wait until he does. At one point he was the fastest man out there.. and when he started overtaking with that classic Alonso style I got goosebumps. Great showing from both drivers hope we can really maximise the weekend next week from start to finish.

JRindt

Yup, that final stint was more like the Alonso we were used to seeing. I’d wager my left pinkie that he'll beat Ocon in Barcelona