2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 20:44
PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 18:41
Reading between the lines, Ineos will be buying a bigger stake for 2022, lewis will buy a stake and Mercedes will be engine supplier.
No way Lewis will buy a stake in the team. No one makes money from owning racing teams.
The best teams are barely break-even so you do have a point. So no much more money goes to his pockets that's for sure. He will be able to make money of increasing stock value neverless. But it would not be about making money. It would be about using it as a platform somehow.

The first Black F1 Team owner perhaps would be worth Millions in long term visibility if not billions. Lewis may be trying to be the Michael Jordan of F1.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

e30ernest

A 1 year contract is a signal that his career is starting to wind down, and he may be retiring soon... Which makes me feel old now.... In my mind, he is still one of the "young" drivers out there hahahaha!

Fulcrum

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Reading between the lines, Ineos will be buying a bigger stake for 2022, lewis will buy a stake and Mercedes will be engine supplier.
I think Lewis is intelligent enough to recognize this would be a stupid idea.

Fulcrum

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 04:09
dans79 wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 18:51
PlatinumZealot wrote:

That seems like a stretch, Lewis have never given an inkling that he was interested in being a shareholder/owner. That's only ever been mentioned in gossip and media clickbait.
Heis practicing his team ownership skills with his X44 team tho. So it is within the realms of possibility.
Yes, the same realms of possibility where he was driving for Ferrari after receiving a big paycheck from Philip Morris.

Dreamland, in other words.

El Scorchio

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 04:15
Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 20:44
PlatinumZealot wrote:
No way Lewis will buy a stake in the team. No one makes money from owning racing teams.
The best teams are barely break-even so you do have a point. So no much more money goes to his pockets that's for sure. He will be able to make money of increasing stock value neverless. But it would not be about making money. It would be about using it as a platform somehow.

The first Black F1 Team owner perhaps would be worth Millions in long term visibility if not billions. Lewis may be trying to be the Michael Jordan of F1.
Nah, he'll be gone like a shot from the F1 paddock after retiring, to do all the other stuff he wants to do. I'd imagine the odd appearance at Silverstone, Austin, Monaco, Abu Dhabi and maybe Japan will be his lot. It wouldn't surprise me if Sky offer him an insane amount of money to be part of their coverage, but I can't see him wanting to do that at all.

Just_a_fan

El Scorchio wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 12:03
Nah, he'll be gone like a shot from the F1 paddock after retiring, to do all the other stuff he wants to do. I'd imagine the odd appearance at Silverstone, Austin, Monaco, Abu Dhabi and maybe Japan will be his lot. It wouldn't surprise me if Sky offer him an insane amount of money to be part of their coverage, but I can't see him wanting to do that at all.
I agree. He's in to his music and fashion and I would expect there to be a full "House of Hamilton" fashion label once he leaves F1.

I think he'll turn up at Silverstone now and then to enjoy being treated like a king by the media and crowd, but other than that, I'd say he'll just move on from F1.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

El Scorchio

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 12:18
El Scorchio wrote:
I agree. He's in to his music and fashion and I would expect there to be a full "House of Hamilton" fashion label once he leaves F1.

I think he'll turn up at Silverstone now and then to enjoy being treated like a king by the media and crowd, but other than that, I'd say he'll just move on from F1.
Exactly! I can see him more going down the route of trying to establish something akin to what Jay Z has done with Roc Nation. Probably more charitable based with a view to giving young people of colour opportunities in all sorts of industry. Possibly funded by some of his other ventures. I get the feeling he really wants to give back, more than anything else.

Big Tea

I am not a 'FAN' of any particular F1 driver, but Hamilton is always one close to the top of my list, but strangely I feel somewhat disappointed he has returned to the (apparent) exact same position as before. After weeks of meandering I expected something of interest or not driving the Merc this year. It feels like a damp .... after all this time and attention
( which may well be the whole point of it )
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Big Tea wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 12:33
I am not a 'FAN' of any particular F1 driver, but Hamilton is always one close to the top of my list, but strangely I feel somewhat disappointed he has returned to the (apparent) exact same position as before. After weeks of meandering I expected something of interest or not driving the Merc this year. It feels like a damp .... after all this time and attention
( which may well be the whole point of it )
Isn’t it just a way to circumnavigate the drivers salary cap. I believe ‘23 is when the cap comes into effect and anything signed before then is excluded. Therefore, a one year contract for now and sign the long, significant one next year; which is immune to all the cap nonsense?
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

I don't see how being part owner stops that though. Briatore was able to be principal which was more stressfulthan merely owning the team and he had his fashion line. You never know. Juat saying going by Hamilton's tendencies it is fair to say he is interested in business ownership.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 16:23
Just_a_fan wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

I don't see how being part owner stops that though. Briatore was able to be principal which was more stressfulthan merely owning the team and he had his fashion line. You never know. Juat saying going by Hamilton's tendencies it is fair to say he is interested in business ownership.
He's setting up a team to race in an "environmentally friendly" series. I think he's more likely to develop that side of things if team ownership/management is of interest to him. Perhaps a Formula E team.

F1 is ridiculously expensive - even if the budget cap works, it'll still be ridiculously expensive - and other than Brabham and McLaren which were both started in much simpler times, no driver owned team has done very much. Stewart and Prost come to mind and both were hardly paragons of title winning success, were they?

Much better to start such a venture in a new sport/formula where everyone is starting from the same place from day one.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

the EDGE

godlameroso

Pretty sure Hamilton only signed a one year deal because he's not confident that Mercedes is going to dominate the next era of F1 cars like they have so far.

Just keeping his options open. 8 years is loyal enough, after 7 years all the cells in your body are replaced with new ones, you are literally no longer the same person.
Saishū kōnā

Jolle

godlameroso wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 14:32
Pretty sure Hamilton only signed a one year deal because he's not confident that Mercedes is going to dominate the next era of F1 cars like they have so far.

Just keeping his options open. 8 years is loyal enough, after 7 years all the cells in your body are replaced with new ones, you are literally no longer the same person.
2021 is not going to make him any wiser about his chances in 2022. A two year deal would made more sense in that case.