2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
DarthPlagueisTheVise

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Toto on the balance of 2021 and 2022 after two tough races
https://racingnews365.com/wolff-no-pani ... oach-to-21
Technical Noob

Pyrone89

dans79 wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 01:39
Everything I have read, has said the homogenized parts had to be on the car from Bahrain onwards.

I only see 2 possibilities at this point.

One, they changed a homogenized component (like the front or back monocoque), in a subtle way (that isn't readily apparent) so they could update/change a non homogenized component later in the season.

Two, they changed a homogenized component (like the front or back monocoque), in a subtle way in preparation for 2022, thats gives them some form of advantage next year.

NathanOlder wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 23:22
https://www.planetf1.com/news/surprise- ... cedes-w12/
Wolff, though, has now revealed that the engine innovation is not the end of Mercedes’ surprises

“You haven’t even seen what we’re going to put on the car yet,” Racingnews365 quotes the Austrian as having told Canal+ ahead of the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix.

“Of course, there is room for innovation and that always made me happy. Every year we try to do something that is a little bit boxy.

“I’m not sure it makes a big difference in terms of the performance of the car. It’s beautiful if it works.”
This last bit is what makes me think they spent their tokens on something unique but just haven't put it on the car yet as they are still trying to perfect it maybe?
2022 are completely new cars with no homologation as far as I know. You can make a completely new design of every single component on the car. Then at the first race of 2022 the power units get homologated and further development is locked (so expect Honda to go backwards compared to their rivals as the are surely not going to invest 100% until that point and will not develop between end of 2021 and first race of 2022 anyway).
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Marty_Y

b2bL44 wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 05:29
Yes 100% this was a tongue in cheek comment from Toto when asked about what innovations Mercedes have for the W12.
I considered that and since we haven't seen anything on the car it probably was just a tongue in cheek comment he gave to add some interest or excitement to the interview.

But one thing I've noticed over the years is that Toto often answers questions he's asked with what appears to be humourous comments and the people doing the interview laugh and think he's giving a non answer or avoiding the question by joking,, but then it turns out the joke is closer to the truth than not.

I think Toto is a very interesting character, and imo he's very honest and forthright.

Pyrone89

Marty_Y wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 16:15
b2bL44 wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 05:29
Yes 100% this was a tongue in cheek comment from Toto when asked about what innovations Mercedes have for the W12.
I think Toto is a very interesting character, and imo he's very honest and forthright.
Not words I would associate with Wolff

Mr. ‘we are not favorite’ at almost every GP in 2020
Last edited by Pyrone89 on 09 Jun 2021, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.

Mchamilton

SiLo wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 00:05
I'm guessing the sudden steering input he had to make to get around Perez potentially had him catch the button. It's on the back of the steering wheel right where the end of your fingertips would be (unless they have moved it recently).
Exactly, not sure how everybody hasn't fathomed that out yet.

Pyrone89

Mchamilton wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 18:14
SiLo wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 00:05
I'm guessing the sudden steering input he had to make to get around Perez potentially had him catch the button. It's on the back of the steering wheel right where the end of your fingertips would be (unless they have moved it recently).
Exactly, not sure how everybody hasn't fathomed that out yet.
Well,

1. Bad design but unless they changed it recently it went fine until now

2. It doesn’t really detract from the fact that he still shouldn’t have pressed it. Just as you shouldn’t for example press radio instead of DRS (looking at you Stroll). It is not like it was an external influence such as reliability or tyre failure.

Big Tea

Surly every button or switch on the wheel falls into the 'do not accidently use' category? We quite often hear of this sort of thing happening, back to Mansell and probably earlier where they let it be known that this was the problem. There is only so much that can be done to a switch that (obviously?) needs to be easy to access and operate. If it was a different switch we would be saying the same thing about that switch, and this one would remain in the same position and continue to be used without problem. I am sure Hamilton and Merc will not do this again, so is it worth them doing anything about it? At least until the controls need altering for some other thing
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Big Tea wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 22:08
Surly every button or switch on the wheel falls into the 'do not accidently use' category? We quite often hear of this sort of thing happening, back to Mansell and probably earlier where they let it be known that this was the problem. There is only so much that can be done to a switch that (obviously?) needs to be easy to access and operate. If it was a different switch we would be saying the same thing about that switch, and this one would remain in the same position and continue to be used without problem. I am sure Hamilton and Merc will not do this again, so is it worth them doing anything about it? At least until the controls need altering for some other thing
It isn’t so much a case of - not doing it again, more a recognition/understanding that there’s a significant hand grip change that happens during starts/restarts because of how HAM positions his hand over the steering wheel. Given that this is known and the button is placed where it is, a countermeasure of sorts would be prudent. Job done
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Big Tea

214270 wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 22:40
Big Tea wrote:
It isn’t so much a case of - not doing it again, more a recognition/understanding that there’s a significant hand grip change that happens during starts/restarts because of how HAM positions his hand over the steering wheel. Given that this is known and the button is placed where it is, a countermeasure of sorts would be prudent. Job done
But it still has to be easily usable. Don't know how many races it has been there and how many other cars have it, but is a once off accident worth too much effort when we consider where it will be moved to etc as it is obviously in an appropriate place which he is no doubt used to. Maybe a warning light that stays on? but the wheel is already a very buzzy place. Obviously if there is a ready option then a fix should be done, but a one in 10 thousand (or what ever) can not usually be designed around easily and could just being another hazard like missing it during a race.

Not saying it should not be 'fixed', but is it a kneejerk again

Big Tea wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 23:04
214270 wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
But it still has to be easily usable. Don't know how many races it has been there and how many other cars have it, but is a once off accident worth too much effort when we consider where it will be moved to etc as it is obviously in an appropriate place which he is no doubt used to. Maybe a warning light that stays on? but the wheel is already a very buzzy place. Obviously if there is a ready option then a fix should be done, but a one in 10 thousand (or what ever) can not usually be designed around easily and could just being another hazard like missing it during a race.

Not saying it should not be 'fixed', but is it a kneejerk again
We’ll if HAMs start procedure was conventional I’d probably agree with you, it isn’t. It’s hard to know exactly when he started resting his hand on the steering wheel, but I think it’s the 19/20 season. The ratio is therefore something like 1 accidental press in maybe 30ish starts (at a guess). That’s a pretty poor strike rate. And as for a fix, a double tap to activate or similar sorts the problem out.

nzjrs

214270 wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
Any idea why he does this half hand on-top thing? It's very interesting

Marty_Y

nzjrs wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 23:24
214270 wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
AFAIK it's because he gets a better feel of the clutch for the start, I maybe wrong.

e30ernest

Big Tea wrote:
But it still has to be easily usable.
Does "brake magic" have to be easily usable though? From my understanding, it's a tire warm-up tool and isn't used during the normal course of a race. IMO it could be set behind multiple button presses with little to no impact to its usability for its intended use while preventing it from being accidentally activated.

Marty_Y wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 23:32
nzjrs wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 23:24
214270 wrote:

AFAIK it's because he gets a better feel of the clutch for the start, I maybe wrong.
👍 Thats how I understand it too.

Truth be told his launches have been pretty good since adopting this technique, on the odd occasion of a poor start it’s the reaction time that tends to be at fault.

Big Tea

e30ernest wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 02:30
Big Tea wrote:
But it still has to be easily usable.
Does "brake magic" have to be easily usable though? From my understanding, it's a tire warm-up tool and isn't used during the normal course of a race. IMO it could be set behind multiple button presses with little to no impact to its usability for its intended use while preventing it from being accidentally activated.
There may even be multiple settings of it selected via a switch or switches? Merc or Hamilton do not seem to be panicking about it, we may or may not ever hear more