2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

NathanOlder wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 11:09
Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 00:14
NL_Fer wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 22:18
Any thoughts on how Lewis drove two full laps, with magic switched on and had to ask Bono if it was on? It would be visible/obvious for Lewis there was something wrong after the first second corner? Almost no brakes on the rear axle.

He must have noticed on the second corner and instinctive adjust bbal on the back straight?
He used it as he was supposed to in the lead up to the restart. Turned it off. Then accidentally turned it back on. He recognised that he must have done so by the behaviour of the car. And thus he asked the question.

Action. Expected response from car. Action followed by inadvertent action in error. Unexpected response from car. Query.

It's not difficult.
What NL_Fer meant was how did Lewis manage 2 laps behind the Haas cars with the brake magic on. The way Lewis asked after the race sounded like he was asking "was it on?" like he wasn't sure. So if he wasn't sure, he must have driven 2 full racing laps with it on.
He did not know at that time that it was on. He thought he had a brakes fault, so did not even try to pass or gain places.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NathanOlder

Big Tea wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 11:36
NathanOlder wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 00:14

He used it as he was supposed to in the lead up to the restart. Turned it off. Then accidentally turned it back on. He recognised that he must have done so by the behaviour of the car. And thus he asked the question.

Action. Expected response from car. Action followed by inadvertent action in error. Unexpected response from car. Query.

It's not difficult.
What NL_Fer meant was how did Lewis manage 2 laps behind the Haas cars with the brake magic on. The way Lewis asked after the race sounded like he was asking "was it on?" like he wasn't sure. So if he wasn't sure, he must have driven 2 full racing laps with it on.
He did not know at that time that it was on. He thought he had a brakes fault, so did not even try to pass or gain places.
Ah ok, cheers. So there was absolutely nothing on the dash to say it was on, thats crazy!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 11:56
Big Tea wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

Ah ok, cheers. So there was absolutely nothing on the dash to say it was on, thats crazy!
Forget a dash notification, it looks like the team didn’t even notify him until the end of the race lol; dunno why that wasn’t immediately relayed to him.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

e30ernest

214270 wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 12:06
NathanOlder wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Forget a dash notification, it looks like the team didn’t even notify him until the end of the race lol; dunno why that wasn’t immediately relayed to him.
I haven't heard the team radio apart from what was shown on TV, but from what I understand is the team probably told him after the first corner. His question at the end of the race was in the lines of whether he left it on, meaning he knew at that point it was on. I don't think he would have been able to drive that car with it on for the entire 2 laps.

e30ernest wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 12:09
214270 wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

I haven't heard the team radio apart from what was shown on TV, but from what I understand is the team probably told him after the first corner. His question at the end of the race was in the lines of whether he left it on, meaning he knew at that point it was on. I don't think he would have been able to drive that car with it on for the entire 2 laps.
👍 Yeah you could be right; there might’ve been an intermediary exchange which wasn’t played out for TV.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

NL_Fer

I wish we could have a full radio transcript of those last 2 laps...

dans79

NL_Fer wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 18:00
I wish we could have a full radio transcript of those last 2 laps...
if you have an F1 TV subscription, you can go back and watch a drivers onboard, and here all radio communication between him and the team.
Last edited by dans79 on 11 Jun 2021, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
197 104 103 7

zibby43

Perspective indeed.

mkay

zibby43 wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 21:20
Biggest positive development shared in the video seems to be that they think they’ve figured out their front tire warmup issues going forward, and just need another FP session to confirm.
I'll believe it when I'll see it. Disappointing that it took them this long to figure it out.

They'll probably have to wait until Austria to test that out as they technically shouldn't have a problem with warmup at Paul Ricard.
zibby43 wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 19:21
Perspective indeed.

https://twitter.com/somersf1/status/140 ... 16419?s=21
Fair enough re: Monaco, but Baku has always been a good hunting ground for Merc, even when they had issues with tyres in 2017-18.

Nobody really knows what the pecking order will look like once we return to conventional tracks. That said, I think it's very clear teams like Ferrari and RB have made huge steps forward which makes sense as they have been more aggressive in introducing new bits. RB in particular seems to have cured its tyre woes.

zibby43

mkay wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 19:47
zibby43 wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 21:20
Biggest positive development shared in the video seems to be that they think they’ve figured out their front tire warmup issues going forward, and just need another FP session to confirm.
I'll believe it when I'll see it. Disappointing that it took them this long to figure it out.

They'll probably have to wait until Austria to test that out as they technically shouldn't have a problem with warmup at Paul Ricard.
zibby43 wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 19:21
Perspective indeed.

https://twitter.com/somersf1/status/140 ... 16419?s=21
Fair enough re: Monaco, but Baku has always been a good hunting ground for Merc, even when they had issues with tyres in 2017-18.

Nobody really knows what the pecking order will look like once we return to conventional tracks. That said, I think it's very clear teams like Ferrari and RB have made huge steps forward which makes sense as they have been more aggressive in introducing new bits. RB in particular seems to have cured its tyre woes.
As Somers pointed out, major reg. change this year though, and Baku was never going to suit the W12 this year.

I think Merc would’ve been out-qualified in Baku in 2019 (no race there in ‘20) if LEC hadn’t crashed.

Ferrari will fall down the order at traditional circuits, and we’ll see if RB’s tire-eating behavior is really gone when harder compounds and longer duration, higher-energy corners are back.

Juzh

214270 wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 12:16
e30ernest wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 12:09
214270 wrote:

👍 Yeah you could be right; there might’ve been an intermediary exchange which wasn’t played out for TV.
There wasn't any exchange regarding brake magic until he came back to pits after the race. Hamilton took it extra easy in all braking zones until turn 16 where he made a routine adjustment to brake balance at 54% forward for that corner, and this probably overrode any brake magic settings. From that point it seemed like his brakes were working fine, but he just wasn't pushing anymore.

e30ernest

Thanks for the clarification there. So it took until Turn 16 before he made his first adjustment? I thought they made adjustments more often but I guess since this is a street circuit they don't make as much adjustments.

Stu

Is ‘Brake Magic’ a new thing for this year?
Are they using it to perform the same function as DAS last year.
Presumably it is a very simple system that switches off BBW, therefore rendering brakes to 100% front?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

F1NAC

Stu wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 14:25
Is ‘Brake Magic’ a new thing for this year?
Are they using it to perform the same function as DAS last year.
Presumably it is a very simple system that switches off BBW, therefore rendering brakes to 100% front?
Brake magic is at least from the start of the hybrid era.

2015 monaco GP 1:20

e30ernest

Yeah even Jolyon said they had it in Renault too when he drove there. The teams just call it different things.