2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

mkay wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 23:57
El Scorchio wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 10:58
zibby43 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 03:37

The Merc’s following ability this year is arguably the best it has ever been in the hybrid era.

Hamilton was within 1s of Verstappen in France and could stay tucked up there for several laps. They’ve also had zero PU cooling issues this season when following.
Exactly. They are suffering because either they’ve made a decision not to upgrade the 2021 car- in favour of the strongest car for 2022- and hang their chances on whether what they’ve got enough with what they already have (looks like not) OR they are just down a development dead end, given what they can achieve in terms of gain with the 2021 regs and development constraints.

It’s probably better to focus on 2022 and the long game rather than throw time and energy into what might be an unwinnable short term battle.
I’d be curious to know what Mario Thiessen thinks of Merc’s strategy to put all their eggs in 2022. It failed miserably for BMW in 2008-09, and cost them their only reliable shot at a title.

There is 0 guarantee that Merc’s focus on 2022 will help them. Besides RB has only sacrificed, what, 1 month of development on the 2022 car to devote resources to the 2021 car. RB sacrificing 2022 resources to secure both titles this year could also be interpreted that they’re extremely confident in their 2022 project.
This. exactly.

There is no guarantee for 2022. You had a good base to start this year, why give up on it.

My fears of a long summer for Merc only were confirmed today. RBR is clearly pulling away and it's only a matter of time until they start locking out front rows with regularity and it's bye bye 2021 championship.

2022 is suppposed to be a year where noone can dominate and I'm sure Liberty Media and all the others involved are going to make sure of that, so once again, I fail to see the logic in abandoning a championship capable project for the unknown.

LHamilton
LHamilton

Toto confirmed that Mercedes has stopped bringing upgrades (which they haven't really done all season) and also that they are focused on next year, which according to him is "really important". And I'm not suprised. I had my suspicion when Mercedes made these comments very early on in the season. I wouldn't necessarily say they "sack" this season in favour of getting on the front foot for next generation cars, but I don't think they would be all to mad if they lost this year, if it meant that they could start strong next year and keep that going for years to come. They obviously started strong in 2014 in the hybrid car era and has dominated that. So it isn't a stretch to say that they have similar things in mind.

siskue2005

LHamilton wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 17:17
Toto confirmed that Mercedes has stopped bringing upgrades (which they haven't really done all season) and also that they are focused on next year, which according to him is "really important". And I'm not suprised. I had my suspicion when Mercedes made these comments very early on in the season. I wouldn't necessarily say they "sack" this season in favour of getting on the front foot for next generation cars, but I don't think they would be all to mad if they lost this year, if it meant that they could start strong next year and keep that going for years to come. They obviously started strong in 2014 in the hybrid car era and has dominated that. So it isn't a stretch to say that they have similar things in mind.
Its also vice versa for Redbull
They know that this is the only year they could win the championship as they dont have Honda support from next year onwards, so they are throwing everything at it now.

mkay
mkay

siskue2005 wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 17:47
LHamilton wrote:
They know that this is the only year they could win the championship as they dont have Honda support from next year onwards, so they are throwing everything at it now.
And yet Max/RB leadership saying the contrary, that they are NOT throwing 2022 away for the sake of winning titles this year. We will only find out in 9 months time who was right and who was bluffing...

siskue2005

mkay wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 18:21
siskue2005 wrote:
LHamilton wrote:
And yet Max/RB leadership saying the contrary, that they are NOT throwing 2022 away for the sake of winning titles this year. We will only find out in 9 months time who was right and who was bluffing...
The reports say otherwise
Max and Hemut saying they would NOT throw away 2021 championship by concentrating more on the 2022

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/verst ... e/6554097/

https://www.planetf1.com/news/helmut-ma ... sider.com.

mkay
mkay

siskue2005 wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 18:32
mkay wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 18:21
siskue2005 wrote:

The reports say otherwise
Max and Hemut saying they would NOT throw away 2021 championship by concentrating more on the 2022

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/verst ... e/6554097/

https://www.planetf1.com/news/helmut-ma ... sider.com.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/horner-c ... 21-f1-car/

Horner doesn't seem concerned at all about 2022 development based on today's quotes.

El Scorchio

I think it’s only partly resource for this year vs next. I think they realised pretty early on there actually wasn’t that much they could do to claw back the loss enforced by the 2021 floor regs given the restriction on changes and the fundamental concept of the car vs what Red Bull were able to do with their concept.

mclaren113
mclaren113

I don't know why everybody is talking about giving up the season.
They've been in a worse situation in 2017. They just need to upgrade the car.

siskue2005

El Scorchio wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 20:05
I think it’s only partly resource for this year vs next. I think they realised pretty early on there actually wasn’t that much they could do to claw back the loss enforced by the 2021 floor regs given the restriction on changes and the fundamental concept of the car vs what Red Bull were able to do with their concept.
I guess Merc are now using all their 2021 CFD and aero development time and money to the 2022 car. And also read somewhere that they are using their tocken to change the car for 2022 rather than 2021. I dont know if this will help in 2022 or not, only time will tell.

siskue2005

mclaren113 wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 20:11
Sadly according to Toto they are not gonna do any updates... But i dont know if we should believe what toto says :lol:

El Scorchio

mclaren113 wrote:
That’s the point though. They’ve said they aren’t going to.

I don’t think anyone is in any doubt they could make some performance leaps with investing in development, but clearly they’ve decided against it because dep down, they probably know that whatever they can do this year isn’t going to be enough to win either title.

El Scorchio

siskue2005 wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 20:13
El Scorchio wrote:
I guess Merc are now using all their 2021 CFD and aero development time and money to the 2022 car. And also read somewhere that they are using their tocken to change the car for 2022 rather than 2021. I dont know if this will help in 2022 or not, only time will tell.
I would think so too. It does make a lot of sense. I am sure if they were ahead or really close in this year’s fight then they may have put more into it, but they are pragmatic and realistic, and know when to cut their losses.

Does it guarantee a class of the field car next year? Absolutely not. But the more time and resource that goes into it, the better it will be.

lh13
lh13

El Scorchio wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 20:17
siskue2005 wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 20:13
El Scorchio wrote:
I would think so too. It does make a lot of sense. I am sure if they were ahead or really close in this year’s fight then they may have put more into it, but they are pragmatic and realistic, and know when to cut their losses.

Does it guarantee a class of the field car next year? Absolutely not. But the more time and resource that goes into it, the better it will be.
Tokens for next year's car? This is the first time I am hearing about it. How does it work?

Jambier

Cars are also quite frozen so maybe there is no gain in dev.
Setup may be enough or more agressive engine mode.

And Pirelli will change tires on the next couple of race to have thougher one.

That can help Mercedes like 2018. So nothing is win or lost for now

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

siskue2005 wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 20:14
mclaren113 wrote:
Sadly according to Toto they are not gonna do any updates... But i dont know if we should believe what toto says :lol:
In which, the season is over. Max is going to walk away with the title and Red Bull will take the manufacturer title.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.