2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Marty_Y

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 20:50
siskue2005 wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 20:14
mclaren113 wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 20:11
I don't know why everybody is talking about giving up the season.
They've been in a worse situation in 2017. They just need to upgrade the car.
Sadly according to Toto they are not gonna do any updates... But i dont know if we should believe what toto says :lol:
In which, the season is over. Max is going to walk away with the title and Red Bull will take the manufacturer title.
According to Toto they've stopped development, so it looks like Mercedes have no chance this season.

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff, speaking to Sky Sports: "The next day is scratching heads and trying to look at the race and seeing if there was anything we could do better: set-up direction, could we optimise on race pace? I'm looking forward to sitting down and looking at the data and seeing what we can do.

"It's been the first race in eight years where we were lacking pace. We have stopped developing for this year and we have to put our heads together and get the best out of that power unit.

"We are totally fired up. We were lacking pace but we will be doing the best we can and fighting back. We just didn't have the tools today to win - but the fight is not over."

ismail1991

Marty_Y wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 21:55
Just_a_fan wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 20:14

Sadly according to Toto they are not gonna do any updates... But i dont know if we should believe what toto says :lol:
In which, the season is over. Max is going to walk away with the title and Red Bull will take the manufacturer title.
According to Toto they've stopped development, so it looks like Mercedes have no chance this season.

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff, speaking to Sky Sports: "The next day is scratching heads and trying to look at the race and seeing if there was anything we could do better: set-up direction, could we optimise on race pace? I'm looking forward to sitting down and looking at the data and seeing what we can do.

"It's been the first race in eight years where we were lacking pace. We have stopped developing for this year and we have to put our heads together and get the best out of that power unit.

"We are totally fired up. We were lacking pace but we will be doing the best we can and fighting back. We just didn't have the tools today to win - but the fight is not over."
Did he mean power unit or full car?

Marty_Y

ismail1991 wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 22:00
Marty_Y wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 21:55
Just_a_fan wrote:

Did he mean power unit or full car?
They've completely stopped development of the W12, switched all focus on next year.

From Lewis,

'They're just faster'
More from Lewis Hamilton, who finished second: "They're faster, they're just faster. There's not a lot I can do in that respect. I've just got to keep trying to do the best I can do each weekend.

"We need to find some performance, we need an upgrade of some sort, we need to push. I don't know whether it's just the rear wing or whether it's the upgrade in the engine, but we've got to find some performance from somewhere."

zibby43

Some upgrades are, in fact, on the way:

I’ll fully believe it when they’re on the car, but I did see some flow-viz on the front wing this past weekend. Which makes me wonder if it’s for future correlation purposes.

And at least the source of this information is the Merc engineers. First time we’ve had them confirm upgrade information this year.

Full article: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... lung-2022/

“As can be heard from the Mercedes factory engineers, until the summer break, only small things will be attached to the car, which already made the last wind tunnel loop a few weeks ago. Team boss Toto Wolff confirmed that all engineers in the factory are already working at full speed on the 2022 car. ‘That is of course not an easy decision. Next year there will be a completely new car concept. You have to find the right balance.’”

mkay

Not getting my hopes up, especially since Horner confirmed they are not done developing their car.

Merc’s only hope is that whatever developments are coming will help widen the car’s setup window because it’s really hurting the team at the moment.

Also, Merc should put pressure on Petronas to do something on the lubricant/fuel side of things. Honda/Esso are pushing hard on that front, reportedly.

This year’s championship isn’t done per se, but it feels as much given RB doesn’t seem to have any weaknesses and is marginally doing everything better than Mercedes.

Given today’s race pace, it’s fair to say next race will be another damage limitation, unless Merc does the rain dance all week.

Marty_Y

I'm probably clutching at straws, but hopefully all of this "we've stopped development of the W12" talk is just part of the elaborate mind games the teams play with each other, in order to make the other team switch their focus.

That or Mercedes have more up their sleeves in the engine department, that they know they can unleash more power from the engine in future. I know it sounds like wishful thinking but they've already done something similar this year when they started using the bigger rear wing to solve the balance/instability issue, which created more drag so they deployed more power to counter the drag.

Source for comment above, https://www.formu1a.uno/dallimportanza- ... in-spagna/

"The engineers of the Anglo-German team reassembled the puzzle piece by piece. One of these is the increase in performance of the German power unit released at Imola, which made it possible to use a high-load rear wing in Barcelona to stabilize the rear and "cure" the tires of that axle from deleterious overheating"

"The W12 has instead found the right “balance” , as the engineers of the Anglo-German team call it; the 'optimal' set-ups, due to the obvious adaptations to the different circuits, are now easier to search for. Up to Portimao the W12 excelled over the RB16B in the slow. In Barcelona, ​​due to a particularly loaded set-up and useful for protecting the rear tires, in medium and high speed corners. All thanks to the performance and efficiency of the PU"

ringo

They can also take an approach to sprint in the races. That is to do multiple stops.
They can start on the faster red marked tyres and figure out how to make their car like them.
For years they have avoided starting on the softer compounds. It may be time they face the music and use them.
Setup the car for more pace, start on the softer compound and sprint through multiple stints.

Otherwise nothing they can do in the body of the car. The RB16 is a masterpiece of a chassis.
Only options for merc is engine power and maximizing the softer compounds. That will allow them to stick to conpromise a little on the wing and getting the grip from sarting on the softer tyre as we have seen with ferrari who usually go well on the red marked tyres.

It's really a tricky challenged. They cant even turn up the engine too much. Honda is able to do it because of the upgraded coatings and internals inspired by the motorcycle and aeronautical divisions.
For Sure!!

ringo

18 points gap in the drivers and 40 in. constructors.
Merc can still win the WDC...
It will take a humungous effort. Lewis just need to keep getting podiums and pray for rain and safety cars and a honda blow up or 2.
For Sure!!

PhillipM

ringo wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 02:41
Honda is able to do it because of the upgraded coatings and internals inspired by the motorcycle and aeronautical divisions.
You think the Merc doesn't have cutting edge coatings? :wink:

I mean a lot of people keep making noise about coatings but surface coatings has been a part of engines and race engines for half a century or more

restless

as I had written in RB thread a month ago - 2021 is RedBull's chance of winning - IF they sacrifice start of 2022, they can develop and develop current car - and perhaps win.
2022 is a big change and with budget cap one HAS to stop working on '21 for proper start in '22.
It makes sense for Mercedes to go long root and fight for title from the start of '22-25 period.
It makes sense for RB to go "short" and throw everything at winning in '21 - because that first time in 9 years when they have a real chance of winning and running for '22 gives no guarantee for a win.

mclaren113

Do you guys think that Mercedes strategy is focusing only on the 2022 car , at the same time being as close as possible to red bull in the first half of the season in terms of points. Then after putting a good base to the 2022 car, bring some updates to the 2021 car in the second half? 🤔

Just_a_fan

mclaren113 wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 08:25
Do you guys think that Mercedes strategy is focusing only on the 2022 car , at the same time being as close as possible to red bull in the first half of the season in terms of points. Then after putting a good base to the 2022 car, bring some updates to the 2021 car in the second half? 🤔
No, it would make little sense doing that. The lead in time to develop parts for the car means that any parts they bolt on this week will have been in the pipeline for several weeks or even longer. If they were going to bring a big package in the second half of the season, they would have been working on that package for much of the early part of the season. So they would have already been using 2022 resources.

The car isn't going to be developed. Maybe they'll stick a vortex generator on here or there but it appears they're not even doing that.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zibby43

Shovlin said that Mercedes explored a radical set-up change leading up to the GP, developed by Hamilton in the simulator, and that it may have hurt their race pace and neutralized their rear degradation advantage.

“It is a difficult and quite peculiar circuit and Red Bull are normally strong here. But we’re also exploring a fairly wacky direction with the set-up as a radical approach, which I think was maybe a bit better on the single lap. The question that remains is whether we’ve hurt our degradation and we need to look at that in the next day or two.”

Full article:

https://www.racefans.net/2021/06/28/wac ... race-pace/

Pyrone89

You realize HAM is only 18 points behind. 1 DNF (while I can't remember the last DNF of HAM) and the WDC looks completely different again. Also, they apparently used a radical different set-up this weekend which they feel caused more tyre deg and less race pace. Hamilton could stick within 3 seconds until tyre deg started to set-in. Adding that this is an RB track anyway the last 4 years, and the world looks completely different (as in, they are close on a track that suits RB). Now when we come to Silverstone I am sure all of this panic will be forgotten as it will be Mercedes 1-3 again. Just remember one week ago, the race pace advantage of Mercedes, only beaten by a 2-stop strategy which turned out to be better due to unexpected higher tyre degradation (else it would have been a Merc victory on race pace). And don't forget the variable of the new tyres from Silverstone, that could totally change the competitive picture.

Waaaaaaay too soon to be so defeatist after only 7 races, 3 of which were won by Mercedes.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Bill

in 2008 Bmw had a very good car but they abandoned it to focus on next year big regulation change .when new season started the double diffuser cars came alone and tore them apart by the year end bmw left f1 never to be seen again now they sell overpriced M cars without any meaningful participation in Motorsport same fate may befall merc without leaving f1 .just because u focusing on next year car does guarantee gains. the should also focus on these year car it is good at low altitude.