2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BSchelbergen

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

selvam_e2002 wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 17:26
zibby43 wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 05:15
dans79 wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 03:39

Yep, i will be interested to se how they do in spa, with 2 weeks to think about tweaks, and 2 weeks to implement them.
After seeing such strong qualifying performances at 2 very different circuits, I’m very optimistic about Spa. There’s no temperature range they can’t work the tires in now, and the car is back to utilizing less rear wing than RB, which will be a huge advantage at Spa. They’ll keep understanding the upgrades better until the next package goes on in Zandvoort.

Thankfully Bottas can make up places there.
confused... will they have another update in Zandvoort? Please confirm and if feasible share the article.
More like optimisations but yes, some more performance should be coming to the W12 at Zandvoort. Very important imo because a good quali will be key to challenge for the win at this track.

The article: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... onnerstag/

zibby43

selvam_e2002 wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 17:26
zibby43 wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 05:15
dans79 wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 03:39

Yep, i will be interested to se how they do in spa, with 2 weeks to think about tweaks, and 2 weeks to implement them.
After seeing such strong qualifying performances at 2 very different circuits, I’m very optimistic about Spa. There’s no temperature range they can’t work the tires in now, and the car is back to utilizing less rear wing than RB, which will be a huge advantage at Spa. They’ll keep understanding the upgrades better until the next package goes on in Zandvoort.

Thankfully Bottas can make up places there.
confused... will they have another update in Zandvoort? Please confirm and if feasible share the article.
See the above post. Also it was confirmed by Allison that there will continue to be a few more tweaks.

Shrieker

Anyone else think Hamilton could've done better, if he had taken it a bit easier after the final stop, and not start catching up to Alonso too quickly ?

One, it potentially would've given him better tires when he caught up to Alonso, and two, Alonso was chasing Sainz, so he would've used his tires more to attack.

Hamilton stood a better chance to immediately pass Alonso, after having caught up to him that way. I don't think the team + driver nailed the strategy for this part of the race.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Tvetovnato

Shrieker wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 21:56
Anyone else think Hamilton could've done better, if he had taken it a bit easier after the final stop, and not start catching up to Alonso too quickly ?

One, it potentially would've given him better tires when he caught up to Alonso, and two, Alonso was chasing Sainz, so he would've used his tires more to attack.

Hamilton stood a better chance to immediately pass Alonso, after having caught up to him that way. I don't think the team + driver nailed the strategy for this part of the race.
Then Alonso would get the DRS behind Sainz, which would have made it even harder to pass, given how he only just caught up with Alonso by the very end of the straight without Alonso using DRS.

Hammerfist

LaplacesDemon wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 18:00
Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 09:02
Marty_Y wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 05:39

The bit about Mercedes saying they have not added any more power intrigues me because James Allison said that there's a bit more to come from the power unit, so if they are telling the truth and they haven't added more power yet and it's not just that the car is more aerodynamically efficient is the performance coming from better deployment?
I think it's driveability and improved deployment rather than additional headline horsepower.
I agree - driveability and deployment were their main PU issues in pre season and early races. It is reasonable to expect this is where they made the biggest progress as these problems were addressed.

There are other ways of improving the PU that do not involve hardware changes and do not result in an increase in power such as increasing the fluid temps and running smaller rads and closing up the bodywork.
Yeah. But when we go back to Mexico and Brazil aka the altitude tracks Redbull will be stronger there still imo. It’s not just the merc updates that have helped them the last 2 races. It’s also the fact they went back to sea level tracks.

dans79

Hammerfist wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 22:08
LaplacesDemon wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 09:02

I think it's driveability and improved deployment rather than additional headline horsepower.
I agree - driveability and deployment were their main PU issues in pre season and early races. It is reasonable to expect this is where they made the biggest progress as these problems were addressed.

There are other ways of improving the PU that do not involve hardware changes and do not result in an increase in power such as increasing the fluid temps and running smaller rads and closing up the bodywork.
Yeah. But when we go back to Mexico and Brazil aka the altitude tracks Redbull will be stronger there still imo. It’s not just the merc updates that have helped them the last 2 races. It’s also the fact they went back to sea level tracks.
France isn't a high altitude track, and they didn't show the amount of pace there against Red Bull that they did the last two races.
197 104 103 7

Shrieker

Tvetovnato wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 22:06
Shrieker wrote:

Then Alonso would get the DRS behind Sainz, which would have made it even harder to pass, given how he only just caught up with Alonso by the very end of the straight without Alonso using DRS.
IIRC, Alonso did get DRS of off Sainz for a lap (maybe two, with a few laps in between), but looked like he found it really hard to hang in there in Sainz's dirty air. If he could, he definitely wouldn't have let his DRS go. Hamilton would never have overtaken him.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

NathanOlder

dans79 wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 22:13
Hammerfist wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 22:08
LaplacesDemon wrote:

France isn't a high altitude track, and they didn't show the amount of pace there against Red Bull that they did the last two races.
Plus Baku is lower than sea level and RedBull had that in the bag.

I think Merc have gone forward, and now on a high downforce track, we have seen RedBulls new rear wing has handicapped them a little.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

LaplacesDemon

Last stage of the interview

ringo

Haha. They need to get his seat and the chassis lenght just right.
Looks like they're done with Bottas. Maybe they cannot understand why he has no race pace in the middle of the race. I think that's hurting him more than anything else.
For Sure!!

Marty_Y

I saw this earlier today and apart from the nostalgia of remembering that epic ending to the race it interested me because they say that they have preserved the moment by keeping the car as it finished the race. If that is the case what did Lewis drive the next week at the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix, did he have a new chassis? or am I not understanding it correctly.

Big Tea

Shrieker wrote:

My thoughts while watching were 'hang back and let them squabble'. It would allow Ham a clear run with full charge and tyres and brakes in the best condition with the two infront with depleted energy and probably not the best tyre state.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Shrieker

Big Tea wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 10:02
Shrieker wrote:

My thoughts while watching were 'hang back and let them squabble'. It would allow Ham a clear run with full charge and tyres and brakes in the best condition with the two infront with depleted energy and probably not the best tyre state.
Yeah, exactly. Hamilton looked to be in too much of a rush, which caused him to trip over Alonso again and again.
-Atatürk

Just_a_fan

Shrieker wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 10:47
Big Tea wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 10:02
Shrieker wrote:

Yeah, exactly. Hamilton looked to be in too much of a rush, which caused him to trip over Alonso again and again.
He had to use the tyres when they had their maximum performance. Hanging back just takes life out of the tyres.

He attacked quickly because he didn't expect to have Alonso be such a road block - excellent work from Alonso, by the way - and would have wanted to have as many laps as possible attacking the front three. His approach was definitely the correct one it's just that Fernando had other ideas.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.