2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Shrieker

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Another team induced error, putting ham in the danger zone, and costing them dearly smh
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

rickybobbyf1
rickybobbyf1

Man, that freaking pit stop, smh. 33 will probably go for the new PU at next race. I think Ham should too. I have a feeling the AMG will be superior to the Honda.

ringo

Sochi i think Redbull can be on pole.
I would love to see mercedes and mclaren have an advantage over Redbull though. Im just hoping the honda has not improved enough to make redbull top dog there.
Lewis will need a health dose of points before the redbull tracks come into play.
For Sure!!

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

ringo wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 19:29
I would love to see mercedes and mclaren have an advantage over Redbull though. Im just hoping the honda has not improved enough to make redbull top dog there.
Lewis will need a health dose of points before the redbull tracks come into play.
Yeah I’m still confused why Sochi this year should be a Merc track. As soon as we leave the very low DF tracks, RBs downforce is the package to beat everywhere, unless they are off with the setup as in Budapest. Merc will need one more upgrade, as was rumoured to come in Zandvoort, but I did not see anything. Might still be to come.

zibby43
zibby43

Tvetovnato wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 20:14
ringo wrote:
Yeah I’m still confused why Sochi this year should be a Merc track. As soon as we leave the very low DF tracks, RBs downforce is the package to beat everywhere, unless they are off with the setup as in Budapest. Merc will need one more upgrade, as was rumoured to come in Zandvoort, but I did not see anything. Might still be to come.
Sochi is fairly low downforce as well.

And Merc are undefeated there in the hybrid era.

InsaneX_Badger

Tbh Merc have been fortuitous to still be undefeated at Sochi.

rickybobbyf1
rickybobbyf1

Tvetovnato wrote:
ringo wrote:
We need that upgrade to come! I hope they deliver…

zibby43
zibby43

Without the halo, Lewis may not be with us still.

ringo

Looks like they edited the wheel pressing his head into the dashboard.
They should not censor this. Especially against the backdrop from Redbull and their driver's comments.
Not even an apology from redbull for what could have been a fatal accident. Not a precautionary check by the FIA of LH. Tough being Lewis I guess. :-|

Merdeces need to give Lewis an upgrade. It makes no sense having the cars close in terms of speed. The other team just wont fight cleanly and their driver doesn't seem to learn from these accidents.
For Sure!!

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

zibby43 wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 20:39
Tvetovnato wrote:
ringo wrote:

Indeed they are, but my main point is that what’s happened in the past isn’t a good indicator of what’s to come this year. Baku and France have been good hunting grounds in the hybrid era, but this year less so. The inherent rear stability of the bull is a strength everwhere this year, and will be key in Sochi too. It’s gonna be close I’m sure, but it’s not a given that Merc will be the pace setters.

ringo

Bottas also goes well in Sochi, and with the new engine he will surely challenge for pole.
That puts Lewis back into Max's hands.
For Sure!!

zibby43
zibby43

Tvetovnato wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 21:39
zibby43 wrote:
Tvetovnato wrote:

Indeed they are, but my main point is that what’s happened in the past isn’t a good indicator of what’s to come this year. Baku and France have been good hunting grounds in the hybrid era, but this year less so. The inherent rear stability of the bull is a strength everwhere this year, and will be key in Sochi too. It’s gonna be close I’m sure, but it’s not a given that Merc will be the pace setters.
I’d say there’s some truth to your statement re: past success and correlation with this year, but we have to acknowledge that Hungary and Monza were 2 of Merc’s most dominant tracks last year, and Merc had 4+ tenths margins this year at both.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

zibby43 wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 23:18
Tvetovnato wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 21:39
zibby43 wrote:

I’d say there’s some truth to your statement re: past success and correlation with this year, but we have to acknowledge that Hungary and Monza were 2 of Merc’s most dominant tracks last year, and Merc had 4+ tenths margins this year at both.
Budapest was mainly RB underperforming than Merc having a better car. Monza racepace looked like Merc had a slight edge, but not by a big margin. To add further to this, take Silverstone as an example. Last year they were crushing the opposition, this year not. Yes, Friday pole, but RB engineers confirmed it was temp related, and we saw in the sprint race that they had a slight edge again.

It feels like Merc is 100 % engine-wise and 95 % aero-wise this year, while RB is 98 % engine-wise and 100 % aero-wise, to use some simplified reasoning. And it’s a shame that we are pretty much locked into this scenario because of the balancing of resources for next year. Would love to see what they can REALLY do with the W12, since it feels like RB is throwing way more into this season than Merc are.

Would love to be proven wrong though in two weeks! Best thing would be to have the power balance shift from race to race now, but I just can’t see it happening if Merc does not bring something more to the car.

Shrieker

ringo wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 21:29
Merdeces need to give Lewis an upgrade. It makes no sense having the cars close in terms of speed. The other team just wont fight cleanly and their driver doesn't seem to learn from these accidents.
He thrives of off these. With this mentality, he'll not only never win a wdc, but also be a huge liability on track.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

ringo

Yep.
I had enough of trying to race with Max.
I think it's boring now. Time for merc to move on and get dominant again.
Max is a very quick driver, steely nerves, always fast, and good reflexes. But that's about it. We have seen all that he has to give. He isn't all that impressive when it comes to racing and adapting to the race and doesnt have the alonso type of race pace to make a battle against the clock exciting.
Mercedes needs to avoid redbull on track at all costs and just run their own race and try keep their head down and get those 2 championships. They need to put more resources into 2021
For Sure!!