2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
zibby43

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

MKlaus wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 10:29
zibby43 wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 06:51
Here is an interesting article from F1 analyzing Max and Lewis' qualifying laps:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 0OnAd.html

Some informative excerpts:

2. Hamilton makes a mistake into Turn 10 which costs him approximately 0.3s to Verstappen. The balance of the Mercedes seems to be towards oversteer, as represented by Hamilton making several steering corrections.

3. Hamilton is using a different energy deployment strategy to Verstappen, stopping the deployment much earlier on the straights.

With the gap to pole ending up .388, the mistake made by Lewis suggests that the delta was potentially much closer because of the 3 tenths lost by Lewis.

On the subject of tire degradation, the Merc was very impressive in the final stint. Of course, it must be taken into account that Verstappen had a shorter final stint, and was able to push the tires harder.

https://www.formula1.com/content/dam/fo ... /image.png
one need to take into account the floor damage for max, which cost him a tenth.
on the tyre degradation part, as usual mercedes biases their setup towards harder compounds which means, a good tyre life in race and better strategic options for longer stints. but then it hurts qualifying as the car isn't optimized for softer compounds. it's hard to say where the differences are between rb and merc due to difference in compromises.
It’s just a flier, but I don’t think RBR have nearly as good tire deg as Merc. I think the RBR is slightly faster in every metric, but Merc are ahead on tire wear on the racing compounds.

Not only has Horner alluded to “impressive” deg by Merc, James Allison today insinuated that it looks like RBR are very keen to avoid longer stint lengths from what they’ve seen so far this year.

Shrieker

In the past, a lot of ppl were saying;

anyone can win in the merc
I hope this last race has reminded them why Mercedes was resigning with Lewis and paying him big bucks to race the car year after year :wink: We always maintained the best team signs the best driver, and it was interesting witnessing it crystal clear in action.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

cheeRS

zibby43 wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 19:56
MKlaus wrote:
zibby43 wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 06:51
Here is an interesting article from F1 analyzing Max and Lewis' qualifying laps:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 0OnAd.html

Some informative excerpts:

2. Hamilton makes a mistake into Turn 10 which costs him approximately 0.3s to Verstappen. The balance of the Mercedes seems to be towards oversteer, as represented by Hamilton making several steering corrections.

3. Hamilton is using a different energy deployment strategy to Verstappen, stopping the deployment much earlier on the straights.

With the gap to pole ending up .388, the mistake made by Lewis suggests that the delta was potentially much closer because of the 3 tenths lost by Lewis.

On the subject of tire degradation, the Merc was very impressive in the final stint. Of course, it must be taken into account that Verstappen had a shorter final stint, and was able to push the tires harder.

https://www.formula1.com/content/dam/fo ... /image.png
on the tyre degradation part, as usual mercedes biases their setup towards harder compounds which means, a good tyre life in race and better strategic options for longer stints. but then it hurts qualifying as the car isn't optimized for softer compounds. it's hard to say where the differences are between rb and merc due to difference in compromises.
It’s just a flier, but I don’t think RBR have nearly as good tire deg as Merc. I think the RBR is slightly faster in every metric, but Merc are ahead on tire wear on the racing compounds.

Not only has Horner alluded to “impressive” deg by Merc, James Allison today insinuated that it looks like RBR are very keen to avoid longer stint lengths from what they’ve seen so far this year.
Seems to be true on all points. RB16B was faster in Q3 and Max close an 8-10 sec gap super quickly (albeit on Fresher tires), but it seemed Max burned through his tires quickly and had to back off a big after he had quite a big moment in T13 (i think).
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

El Scorchio

cheeRS wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 07:53
zibby43 wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 19:56
MKlaus wrote:

Seems to be true on all points. RB16B was faster in Q3 and Max close an 8-10 sec gap super quickly (albeit on Fresher tires), but it seemed Max burned through his tires quickly and had to back off a big after he had quite a big moment in T13 (i think).
The pace differential between the RB and Merc after the strategies diverged was fascinating. A much bigger swing in both directions than I was expecting. Could have just been specific to the track but if that is a trend that continues there could be some really exciting races. Real hare vs tortoise stuff.

The slower but more consistent pace vs ultimately faster but more erratic pace. It could be a running theme that the Mercedes can put itself out there in the lead for the last stint, always being chased by a faster Red Bull, but with the question of whether they can catch and pass before either the tyres die or the chequered flag appears.

Hamilton's tyre whisperer skills could be absolutely invaluable this season.

NL_Fer

Any comment on Lewis’ defensive moves? He hardly needed them past years, but he has shown, he did not forget how to defend and in a very clever way. Maybe he has been practicing on the PlayStation driving Williams or Haas.

Jambier

Last years when defending he crashed in opponents /made them crash

PlatinumZealot

proteus wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 18:45

I have absolutely no problem seeing any of the drivers to retire or lose a big chunk of time if they make a mistake. Like i said, modern tracks are cutting the slack too much for drivers and they reward them instead of punishing a mistake. In case of Lewis, i just pointed out that his drive was not as flawless as many are trying to present it. That is all.
The way I saw it, Lewis was pushing on the limit on ten laps older tyres, he made a mistake, went too deep but managed to bring it back on track without any major consequence. Max having the superior car, tyres and track position still could not pass Lewis even with Lewis' mistake. So it think it bodes well for the season when the Mercedes sorts out it's problems. Lewis should be return to domination again.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

NathanOlder

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 23:54
proteus wrote:

I have absolutely no problem seeing any of the drivers to retire or lose a big chunk of time if they make a mistake. Like i said, modern tracks are cutting the slack too much for drivers and they reward them instead of punishing a mistake. In case of Lewis, i just pointed out that his drive was not as flawless as many are trying to present it. That is all.
The way I saw it, Lewis was pushing on the limit on ten laps older tyres, he made a mistake, went too deep but managed to bring it back on track without any major consequence. Max having the superior car, tyres and track position still could not pass Lewis even with Lewis' mistake. So it think it bodes well for the season when the Mercedes sorts out it's problems. Lewis should be return to domination again.
Finger's crossed buddy. [-o<
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

PlatinumZealot

A nice article in Wired magazine on the life of Sir Hamilton. Very interesting.

What I find intriguing is that Lewis has focused on his decision making skills both behind the wheel and in the public eye. In the times when I started watching F1, I always said of Michael that he is so alone at the front of the race that he uses the time to develop his philosophy about his racing and life. The same thing is repeating again now.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lewis-hamilton
“I think the thing that stands out most is his ability to adapt, to adjust and to find the edge of performance in whatever challenges he has,” says Phil Prew, who was Hamilton’s race engineer in his first three seasons in F1 with McLaren. “It’s no surprise that when the conditions are unpredictable, that’s when he really shines.”
I think the above applies to racing and life too. Not many drivers dare to brave these waters. Sticking their neck out, for what they believe in.

It's a good read.
It was, Hamilton says, one of the points of negotiation in his new contract with Mercedes – a one-year deal which he finally signed in early February, and which also includes a commitment from Mercedes to support greater diversity and inclusion in motorsport through a joint charitable foundation.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

selvam_e2002

It seems most of team bringing huge update for Next F1 race at Imola. Is Mercedes plan to bring anything? any news? Thanks.

proteus

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 23:54
proteus wrote:

Drivers in the past were losing wins and positions with mistakes like this. His overall tally would be a bit lower as it is, if tracks would enforce punishment for going off.

Numbers will go up for sure in months to come, but quantity and quality are two different things.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

selvam_e2002

RB drivers never learn about their mistakes. Look at Vettel now he is keep on doing same mistake again and again. I doubt Max will learn from that... if he do , he will be a next thing in F1

_cerber1

restless

How will they upgrade the engine when we have a freeze ?!