2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SiLo

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

astracrazy wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 13:58
I'm trying to decide if this is a sort of promotion for James Allison to overseeing greater things, or a polite demotion.

It feels a bit like those times when boards have too much respect to sack the chairman, but they feel it's time for them to move on so they create a new honouree role for them instead. Out the way but around.
Last time I checked, CTO is a pretty important role!
Felipe Baby!

MKlaus

SiLo wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 17:30
astracrazy wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 13:58
I'm trying to decide if this is a sort of promotion for James Allison to overseeing greater things, or a polite demotion.

It feels a bit like those times when boards have too much respect to sack the chairman, but they feel it's time for them to move on so they create a new honouree role for them instead. Out the way but around.
Last time I checked, CTO is a pretty important role!
adrian newey is cto at red bull. the most authoritative technical figure and present at every race.

e30ernest

I wonder if that's a cost-cutting measure. If James is promoted to CTO, they can therefore keep him in the payroll without going overbudget because his role is not restricted to the F1 team anymore?

ispano6

e30ernest wrote:
10 Apr 2021, 03:41
I wonder if that's a cost-cutting measure. If James is promoted to CTO, they can therefore keep him in the payroll without going overbudget because his role is not restricted to the F1 team anymore?
That sounds like a plausible reason. FIA would wouldn't be able to enforce any involvement on his part, and Mercedes, particularly Allison, has been voicing the challenge of the budget cap since last year. It would be interesting if other teams bring this possible tactic to the FIA's attention but even then how would they possibly enforce it.

e30ernest

ispano6 wrote:
10 Apr 2021, 05:24
e30ernest wrote:
10 Apr 2021, 03:41
That sounds like a plausible reason. FIA would wouldn't be able to enforce any involvement on his part, and Mercedes, particularly Allison, has been voicing the challenge of the budget cap since last year. It would be interesting if other teams bring this possible tactic to the FIA's attention but even then how would they possibly enforce it.
I'm sure every other team that can do the same is going to be doing it too. RBR with Newey for example. It's hard to think of a way this can be policed especially if his salary is not tied exclusively to the F1 team anymore.

astracrazy

Allison said: “I firmly believe that people have a shelf life in senior roles in this sport, and I have chosen to step away from my role as technical director in order to pass on the baton at the right time for the organisation and myself.
Seems like it was his choice.

Unc1eM0nty

They also mentioned that his tenature was up which sound like he joined them on a fixed term contract. So they either carry on as before, or, as is mentioned above change the roll to avoid getting stale.

MKlaus

zibby43 wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 18:10
Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/jQpyacdVyUs
quite some interesting things from the "brackley boys".

it's amazing to hear the kind of impression schumacher left on brackley.

zibby43

MKlaus wrote:
10 Apr 2021, 10:44
zibby43 wrote:
Enjoy!

They all just seem like good chaps to work with on a daily basis, which sometimes is one of the most overlooked factors in successful team-building.

ispano6

zibby43 wrote:
10 Apr 2021, 21:43
MKlaus wrote:
10 Apr 2021, 10:44
zibby43 wrote:
Enjoy!

They all just seem like good chaps to work with on a daily basis, which sometimes is one of the most overlooked factors in successful team-building.
I remember reading that they've been together for quite some time. They were the Honda team after all, a good set of personnel they put together.

MKlaus

not sure if this was posted.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/04/08/202 ... edes-deal/

2021 F1 driver salaries: Top earner Hamilton takes pay cut in one-year Mercedes deal
Hamilton was thought to be on around $40 million (£29.08m) per year under his previous deal – well over $2 million per race last year when the pandemic shortened the schedule from 22 races to 17. Reports elsewhere he was seeking as much as $50 million for 2021 prompted a dismissive response from Hamilton on social media.

Hamilton’s new deal was finally announced in February, having been held up as first he and then Mercedes CEO Toto Wolff contracted Covid-19. Given the limited time left to agree a deal, he only agreed a one-year extension, and RaceFans understands he accepted a reduction in his fee to $30 million. This cut of around $1 million per race is contrary to reports elsewhere, though as in the case of all drivers there will be a bonus package associated with it.

PlatinumZealot

Reasonable. He can make up the rest in endorsements. At the same time he should have a strong point in negotiating to reduce non-racing commitments to the team.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

zibby43

Nothing better than formation:

SiLo

Always love how they do that in Italy and rarely anywhere else.
Felipe Baby!

dans79

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/russe ... r/6275591/
Asked directly ahead of this weekend’s Emilia Romagna Grand Prix about the rumour, Russell made clear that his relationship with Hamilton remained unchanged, and that nothing should be read into them not speaking specifically about the Sakhir race.

“I think the question towards me was did you speak to Lewis after Bahrain, and no, we didn’t speak, as we wouldn’t speak after any other race,” Russell said.

“We are racing against each other. If we see each other in the paddock, we would speak. We’ve seen each other this year, a little fist bump along the way, and that’s the same as it’s been since 2019 and last year before the Bahrain Grand Prix.

“My relationship towards Lewis is the same as it is with a lot of the drivers up and down the paddock, which is completely fine.

“So there’s no hard feelings and no issues between myself and Lewis.”
So the previous fake news was just that.
197 104 103 7