2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bosyber

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Juzh wrote:
12 May 2021, 08:43
dans79 wrote:
11 May 2021, 17:03
looks like someone at racefans. net is a member of the forum, and read some of us lamenting about them not having transcripts like they used to.

They released this today, and it looks to be every message to and from both Lewis and Max.
https://www.racefans.net/2021/05/11/wel ... -analysis/
They probably stopped doing them with arrival of all team radio being available on F1TV. Doing just a few drivers per race the way it's been done in this article is very time consuming and probably doesn't make sense most of the time.
Yep. I love this kind of thing and would like them to do more of it, but it is probably time consuming and not for everyone so can't blame them for not doing the full field every race :)

PhillipM

zibby43 wrote:
11 May 2021, 17:25

“The set-up that I made I just had so much understeer. The car was very lazy and wouldn't turn around the corners in the way I wanted.”
I mean he would have been talking about his soft tyre lap there, which would have more understeer than the race run on the mediums.

adrianjordan

PhillipM wrote:
12 May 2021, 14:07
zibby43 wrote:
11 May 2021, 17:25

“The set-up that I made I just had so much understeer. The car was very lazy and wouldn't turn around the corners in the way I wanted.”
I mean he would have been talking about his soft tyre lap there, which would have more understeer than the race run on the mediums.
Why would the soft tyre give more understeer? Surely it would have more grip so less understeer, no?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

PhillipM

You gain more mechanical grip at the rear than the front from the softer compound and the aero balance doesn't change.

It's why you see Merc but also such as Mclaren struggle a little on the softs, comparatively.

SiLo

PhillipM wrote:
12 May 2021, 15:05
You gain more mechanical grip at the rear than the front from the softer compound and the aero balance doesn't change.

It's why you see Merc but also such as Mclaren struggle a little on the softs, comparatively.
It's actually better for the racing if the softs see a setup compromise because it means cars may be out of position depending on what route they go down.
Felipe Baby!

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

zibby43

Michael Schmidt from AMuS, sharing tidbits from his discussion with Merc engineers about Hamilton's tire management and a paddock insider on who has the fastest car.

"Yeah, I think he is the only driver in the field [who isn't ruining his tyres in dirty air]. One of the Mercedes engineers told me after the race again what's so special about him. Lewis is simply capable to feel every tyre, every single one of them. And to stress them as much as they need to. He is saving the tyre that in his opinion is more stressed at the moment. And then he is stressing the other tyre instead. The engineers told me that his tyre data is pretty weird in Barcelona: he is putting a lot more load on the right tyres which normally arent really stressed than any other driver does. So that means he understands that his left tyres need to be saved a bit, so he drives in a way that the right tyres are more punished instead.

Paddock insider said that RBR should've been on pole, and although Red Bull "is faster", Mercedes "is smarter."

credit u/Marklar for the translation of this video interview

Marty_Y

Morteza wrote:
12 May 2021, 20:07
https://youtu.be/vZrsUnX4rVs
Thanks for posting that, I forgot it was debrief day.

The last Q & A about the improvement of the W12 was interesting.

The end was funny, why didn't the producer like him saying "so" :lol: .

El Scorchio

zibby43 wrote:
12 May 2021, 20:15
Paddock insider said that RBR should've been on pole, and although Red Bull "is faster", Mercedes "is smarter."
Well THAT is going to upset quite a few people...

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

zibby43

El Scorchio wrote:
12 May 2021, 21:21
zibby43 wrote:
12 May 2021, 20:15
Well THAT is going to upset quite a few people...
I was able to find another interesting nugget - this time from Shovlin.

In past years, we (the fans) and the teams have been able to look at the first few races, cars’ relative performances in different types of corners, etc., and try to guess which circuit will suit who going towards.

Shovlin said that this year, at least between the top 2, there really hasn’t been a trend one way or the other after Merc recovered from their Bahrain deficit.

”Red Bull are actually never that different to us. That’s one of the key things this year is that in qualifying it has been anyone’s pole every race so far, apart from Bahrain where we weren’t competitive. Whereas in previous years you could say ‘we’ll be quick at these tracks, they’ll be quicker at the others’, we’re just not seeing that.”

atanatizante

Interesting review from Mark Hughes for why Red Bull were always likely to lose to Mercedes in Spain: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... Mq0sY.html

I quote: "...there seemed to be no window in which the Red Bull could protect itself against the Mercedes. Either it would be devoured by them on the straight or lose to them through tyre degradation."
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

El Scorchio

It's a shame PZ's thread about the 2021 rule changes is locked actually. I just heard something that would have been relevant to that.

Was listening to the Beyond the Grid with Grosjean (very good and worth a listen anyway) where they talk about 2021 and he states (verbatim) "...it's been a bit open so I can say it, but the rules were made to slow down Mercedes."

So there you have it.

MKlaus

El Scorchio wrote:
17 May 2021, 18:19
It's a shame PZ's thread about the 2021 rule changes is locked actually. I just heard something that would have been relevant to that.

Was listening to the Beyond the Grid with Grosjean (very good and worth a listen anyway) where they talk about 2021 and he states (verbatim) "...it's been a bit open so I can say it, but the rules were made to slow down Mercedes."

So there you have it.
this article is from 2018. if someone thinks it was conceived to slow down mercedes, it's just a personal opinion.
Ross Brawn wrote:One of biggest criticisms of the current generation of F1 cars is that they can’t get close enough to each other, which obviously makes overtaking difficult. So when F1 started looking at designs for 2021, making the cars more raceable was at the core of the plans. The first phase of achieving this aim will come in 2019, with the move to bigger, wider, simpler front wings, which several squads tested iterations of during in-season testing this year.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 00A4G.html

El Scorchio

MKlaus wrote:
17 May 2021, 18:46
El Scorchio wrote:
17 May 2021, 18:19

So there you have it.
this article is from 2018. if someone thinks it was conceived to slow down mercedes, it's just a personal opinion.
Ross Brawn wrote:One of biggest criticisms of the current generation of F1 cars is that they can’t get close enough to each other, which obviously makes overtaking difficult. So when F1 started looking at designs for 2021, making the cars more raceable was at the core of the plans. The first phase of achieving this aim will come in 2019, with the move to bigger, wider, simpler front wings, which several squads tested iterations of during in-season testing this year.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 00A4G.html
I'll take Romain Grosjean's opinion as a pretty informed one.