2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Phil

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Kingshark wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 06:19
wesley123 wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 23:04
wowgr8 wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 22:26
Mercedes would not hesitate to kill a Bottas race for Hamilton's sake early in the season. Red Bull should do the same, and I hope they're ruthless enough to make a big decision like that
I've clearly watched different F1 races than you in the past seasons, but when did Mercedes do such a thing?
Bottas was asked to move out of Hamilton’s way at Bahrain 2017, twice in the same race in fact. That was the third race of the season.

Mercedes are also responsible for one of the most embarrassing team orders in living memory, where they told Bottas to slow down in Singapore just so that he wouldn’t jump Hamilton with the undercut.

Mercedes would gladly kill Bottas’ race if it meant that Hamilton gets an extra point. Let’s see if Red Bull will act similarly ruthless.
The rules have always been very clear in that the team will always try to maximize its result and having one driver hold up the other will not suffice unless they are running in first and second. It’s a no brainer really. If Bottas or any driver doesnt want to be moved out of the way of his team mate... simply drive or be faster?

Anyway, regarding Perez/Max. I could see the situation as particularly bad, if they did do that and take a win away from Sergio and then Max missing for 3 race weekends on a tripple header due getting covid. Corona could shape this years championship.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

New motorhome for RBR.

The Power of Dreams!

Revs84

Wouter wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 13:20
New motorhome for RBR.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzAiDwCW8AI ... ame=medium
It looks considerably smaller than the new one for 2019. Do you know if it's because of the cost cap or other reasons?

_cerber1

Revs84 wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 15:15
It looks considerably smaller than the new one for 2019. Do you know if it's because of the cost cap or other reasons?
Probably this is due to staff cuts, they just don't need big houses now.

JordanMugen

_cerber1 wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 15:20
Revs84 wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 15:15
Probably this is due to staff cuts, they just don't need big houses now.
I though the old one was shared with AlphaTauri? What's this new one about!? :?: :wtf:

El Scorchio

This is not the hospitality/catering type one though, is it? That one would be across the 'road' in the paddock? This one looks like the 'techy' one (abominable terminology, I know) which is almost connected to the back of the garage.

Jolle

El Scorchio wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 15:49
This is not the hospitality/catering type one though, is it? That one would be across the 'road' in the paddock? This one looks like the 'techy' one (abominable terminology, I know) which is almost connected to the back of the garage.
I believe so indeed. This is the engineering hub, work stations, offices etc etc.

El Scorchio

Jolle wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 16:04
El Scorchio wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 15:49
I believe so indeed. This is the engineering hub, work stations, offices etc etc.
engineering hub- much better!

wesley123

Kingshark wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
I've clearly watched different F1 races than you in the past seasons, but when did Mercedes do such a thing?
Bottas was asked to move out of Hamilton’s way at Bahrain 2017, twice in the same race in fact. That was the third race of the season.
Probably has something to do with them being on different strategies
Mercedes are also responsible for one of the most embarrassing team orders in living memory, where they told Bottas to slow down in Singapore just so that he wouldn’t jump Hamilton with the undercut.
Singapore isn't really early in the season and the championship contenders are fairly settled at that point
Mercedes would gladly kill Bottas’ race if it meant that Hamilton gets an extra point. Let’s see if Red Bull will act similarly ruthless.
As was evident at Hungary in 2017, where Hamilton even gave his position back after an earlier decision to try and catch Raikkonen, or Bahrain 2018 where Bottas finished ahead of Hamilton. Silverstone 2019 also isn't really a sign of "gladly killing Bottas' race", considering how they were allowed to battle each other. Or how Bottas was allowed to slow down, which pushed Hamilton off the podium
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Kingshark

wesley123 wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 16:22
Only true for the second team order, untrue for the first team order when they were on tyres of the same age.
Singapore isn't really early in the season and the championship contenders are fairly settled at that point
The fact that the championship was settled by that point makes that team orders even more embarrassing tbh. Easily one of the dumbest team order I have ever seen.
As was evident at Hungary in 2017, where Hamilton even gave his position back after an earlier decision to try and catch Raikkonen, or Bahrain 2018 where Bottas finished ahead of Hamilton. Silverstone 2019 also isn't really a sign of "gladly killing Bottas' race", considering how they were allowed to battle each other. Or how Bottas was allowed to slow down, which pushed Hamilton off the podium
Looks like even on the Red Bull thread we cannot escape the Lewis Hamilton Reputation Protection Team ;)

Just because Mercedes doesn’t always use team orders doesn’t mean that they haven’t shown great willingness to use them when necessary.

It would help if you read the article though. Bottas slowing down on the final laps of Austria 2020 had nothing to do with pushing Hamilton into the pack, as he himself pointed out.

wowgr8

wesley123 wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 16:22
Kingshark wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
Singapore 2019 Hamilton's championship wasn't under any threat so why'd they feel the need to give him preferential treatment? To me that showed they don't care about Bottas when it comes to favouring Hamilton. And they'll be willing to sacrifice a Bottas race for the sake of getting Hamilton ahead of Max, even when Bottas is still in the hunt, and that's fair enough, no need for Hamilton/Mercedes fans to get defensive, I applaud how ruthless they are

dans79

wowgr8 wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 18:34
Singapore 2019 Hamilton's championship wasn't under any threat so why'd they feel the need to give him preferential treatment?
maximizing the team points scored.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bott ... e/4546373/
Just before Hamilton’s stop, Mercedes strategist James Vowles was heard over the radio instructing Bottas to back off by several seconds and hold up the pursuing Alex Albon to ensure that both cars did not leapfrog the British driver.
“This is why we held Valtteri back to keep Albon behind, because Lewis would've come out behind Albon. So overall the team result would've been worse than with Valtteri doing that. We owe him that place.”
“Always before the pitstop, the one who's qualified better, the one who's ahead still before the pitstops, always gets the priority. Obviously you can then choose to go short or long. He chose to go long and then it's me behind and that's how it goes. If I would have gone flat-out and undercut him, Albon also would have.

“So I completely see the point from the team on that and I know he will do the same if it's vice versa. I will make sure that it will be the same vice versa, and I trust it will be.”

He added: “Obviously from the outside it looks pretty bad and from my side being in that situation it's completely against your instincts to back off and not overtake your teammate – that doesn’t make any sense.

“But it’s been there, that kind of rule, since I don’t know how long in the team – at least since I joined. But it is both ways - it’s not for Lewis, it is both ways. So, it’s okay.”
197 104 103 7

wowgr8

They were leading the CC by 154 points so that maximising points argument holds no weight to me. No point in continuing this argument because my point stands, if crunch time came they'd sacrifice Bottas' race or use him as a blockade without hesitation. Time will tell whether I'm wrong or not

dans79

wowgr8 wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 19:18
They were leading the CC by 154 points so that maximising points argument holds no weight to me. No point in continuing this argument because my point stands,
I'm not arguing with you. You asked a question, and I gave you direct quotes from the parties involved as to why!
197 104 103 7