2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Juzh

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Wouter wrote:
04 May 2021, 12:26
This may explain why Max and Sergio felt they had less power on the straight than Mercedes.

"The car was strong on Saturday and that is a very positive development. I found it difficult to estimate Sunday, but I think both teams are on the same level. First and third place and the point for the fastest lap should be cherished" Wolff reports to Sky Sports.

Max Verstappen was in the DRS of Valtteri Bottas for a lap, but could not pass him. Wolff explains why this came about: "We opted for a set-up with slightly less downforce and more top speed.
That worked out well on Sunday because we had good speed on the straights."
The different rear wing approach that helped Hamilton win

Mercedes has two different rear wing set-ups available to its drivers and we will often see them trying out both during the free practice sessions to establish which one offers them the performance level they're after at that specific track.

The changes might not seem drastic from the outside, but they do offer up subtle differences that allow them to run different downforce levels, whilst offsetting this against the drag penalty and the DRS effect.

It's unclear if Mercedes actively opted to split its drivers, given the threat posed by Verstappen, or whether it was a conscious set-up decision by each.

But Hamilton's set-up on the rear wing arrangement, with two pillars, had significantly less wing than the rear wing installed on Bottas' car, which would potentially give the Brit a straightline speed boost but make life a little more difficult in the corners.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/the- ... n/6502259/
Ah yes, back to "draggy" red bulls. The usual excuse for anyone not willing to accept renaults and hondas of past (and present) simply didn't have the grunt. If anything red bull almost always run with less rear wing than mercedes. Even compared to hamilton verstappen has just as shallow AOE in portimao and certainly had much less than bottas.

hasika
hasika

I just watched some onboard videos of Perze and Bottas,Perze’s lap41 to lap46,Bottas lap55 to lap65,both without DRS.I find its really interesting to compared their speed during the whold lap.
Just like all we think,Perze was slow in the main straight, especially acceleration from 280km/h to 300km/h,bottas's top speed was higher too.But Perze didnt had the chipping problems in this five laps that his top speed was not reduced much before braking zone,while bottas's car seems to be into De-rating significantly earlier in the end of the staright.Bottas's top speed started to decrease maybe like 200mile before braking zone which was really early i think.Perze was also very quick in the second DRS zone from turn4 to turn5,he could consistly hit 290km/h before turn5 without DRS while bottas was only around 280km/h.Perze also had more speed before turn11.Then again bottas's mercede car seems also had De-rating-like appearance just before turn11 while i didnt see it in Perze's RB15.I dont know why,maybe Bottas was recharging?But did he need so many laps to recharge?Bottas's fastest lap was ok,but his acceleration in the main straight suddenly became slower than previous laps and he only hit 297km/h before braking,of course he was not into De-rating anymore because the battery was full,then he hit 289km/h before turn5 and 283km/h before turn11.
I also watched a onboard lap of Verstappen,lap 54.His car seems a lot faster than Perze in the main straight,with 302km/h top speed in the main straight and yeah no chipping iusse either,he kept the speed to 299km/h before braking.He did 285km/h before turn5 and 278km/h before turn 11,which i think is ok too.
I know its hard to compared with this laps directly because teams always ran different modes in the race,but its really interesting to see the difference of them.I wont draw any conclusion but maybe we can suggest how the teams use their ERS energy from this datas.I can only watch this few laps of them so if someone can upload more videos,will be good.

Revs84
Revs84

Honda are pretty much on par with Mercedes. Any difference is negligible. The real reason for Red Bull struggling to overtake Mercedes in the main straight is outlined in this article: https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-and ... so-easily/

This has been discussed several times in the past, so I'm not sure why people keep on jumping on the simplest conclusions they can think of.

Slo Poke
Slo Poke

Anyone recall the Bono, Russell radio exchange Bahrain? (Switch magic on, switch magic off).
If so, Portimao result is relative to that. Car forty-four was switching magic off in order to arrive at corner one with hot and therefore sticky rear tyres.
Bottas, I suspect it to be announced, will leave the team at year’s end, which adequately explains his performances to date. His car is likely barren of the aforementioned ability.
If I’m wrong about Bottas, he’s one hell of a Stupendous catch for any future team!

godlameroso

Slo Poke wrote:
04 May 2021, 16:57
Anyone recall the Bono, Russell radio exchange Bahrain? (Switch magic on, switch magic off).
If so, Portimao result is relative to that. Car forty-four was switching magic off in order to arrive at corner one with hot and therefore sticky rear tyres.
Bottas, I suspect it to be announced, will leave the team at year’s end, which adequately explains his performances to date. His car is likely barren of the aforementioned ability.
If I’m wrong about Bottas, he’s one hell of a Stupendous catch for any future team!
So diff magic on(actually on) keeps the tires from overheating, and diff magic off lets the suspension and engine power roast the rears?

It's easier to get tire temperature in Barcelona, teams have a lot of data and adapting the cars is straightforward. Last year Verstappen burned up his tires trying to keep pace with Sir Hamilton. Was Perez's lengthy C2 stint a "test" as much as it was race strategy?

The same tires are in play this weekend.
Saishū kōnā

Revs84
Revs84

Juzh wrote:
04 May 2021, 14:41
Wouter wrote:
04 May 2021, 12:26
This may explain why Max and Sergio felt they had less power on the straight than Mercedes.

"The car was strong on Saturday and that is a very positive development. I found it difficult to estimate Sunday, but I think both teams are on the same level. First and third place and the point for the fastest lap should be cherished" Wolff reports to Sky Sports.

Max Verstappen was in the DRS of Valtteri Bottas for a lap, but could not pass him. Wolff explains why this came about: "We opted for a set-up with slightly less downforce and more top speed.
That worked out well on Sunday because we had good speed on the straights."
The different rear wing approach that helped Hamilton win

Mercedes has two different rear wing set-ups available to its drivers and we will often see them trying out both during the free practice sessions to establish which one offers them the performance level they're after at that specific track.

The changes might not seem drastic from the outside, but they do offer up subtle differences that allow them to run different downforce levels, whilst offsetting this against the drag penalty and the DRS effect.

It's unclear if Mercedes actively opted to split its drivers, given the threat posed by Verstappen, or whether it was a conscious set-up decision by each.

But Hamilton's set-up on the rear wing arrangement, with two pillars, had significantly less wing than the rear wing installed on Bottas' car, which would potentially give the Brit a straightline speed boost but make life a little more difficult in the corners.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/the- ... n/6502259/
Ah yes, back to "draggy" red bulls. The usual excuse for anyone not willing to accept renaults and hondas of past (and present) simply didn't have the grunt. If anything red bull almost always run with less rear wing than mercedes. Even compared to hamilton verstappen has just as shallow AOE in portimao and certainly had much less than bottas.

btw, it wasnt me with the -1
The Red Bull chassis is not draggy in the sense of inefficient downforce. It's just a fact that high rake cars are inherently more draggy than low rake cars.

Don't trust my word on it though. There are plenty of articles you can read that outline this.

And that's why team always talk about the tracks that suit their cars. High rake / short(er) wheelbase cars are better suited for narrow and technical tracks, whereas low rake / longer wheelbase cars are more suited for wider and high speed track.

Then there are of course the in-between tracks, which tend to highlight each car's strength in different sectors.

It's just the way it goes.

marcush
marcush

Sieper wrote:
04 May 2021, 13:34
well. Bottas had an exhaust sensor issue and lost 3.5 seconds or so in like 2 3 laps until they found the cause and switched the sensor off. PU power is so important. who knows what causes what.
AT was less competitive also. I do agree that it is not impossible Honda was slightly conservative this weekend.

in fact, would that be a trick, have a sensor restrict your power and sometimes switch that sensor off (qualy, overtake etc.) multiple drivers have been on radio asking for full power this year. I don't think drivers are unaware you have to race in one power mode this year.
filing a different map as a “limp home“ option and triggering it by switching off that sensor is a smart workaround .
This could of course be an automatic trigger , e.g. hitting the rev limiter deliberately 3times to activate a qualy modus....

etusch

I missed some of race and just saw how max get second. I watched highlight but I missed there too :lol:

etusch

Revs84 wrote:
04 May 2021, 16:48
Honda are pretty much on par with Mercedes. Any difference is negligible. The real reason for Red Bull struggling to overtake Mercedes in the main straight is outlined in this article: https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-and ... so-easily/

This has been discussed several times in the past, so I'm not sure why people keep on jumping on the simplest conclusions they can think of.
Redbull overtook Ferrari while the car equipped with the illegal engine at A1 Ring. It is obvious that there is more variable at overtaking.

Revs84
Revs84

etusch wrote:
04 May 2021, 18:20
Revs84 wrote:
04 May 2021, 16:48

Redbull overtook Ferrari while the car equipped with the illegal engine at A1 Ring. It is obvious that there is more variable at overtaking.
Back then changing modes was still allowed though, and if I recall correctly, Honda had turned up the engine.

From what I can see in Portimao, Red Bull and Mercedes had more or less the same top speed in clean air. The difference comes mainly in the strength of the tow provided by each car, as explained by Gary Anderson.

Given the similar top speeds in clean air and the inherent additional drag of the high rake cars, one could even argue that the Honda engine had slightly more power down the straight than the Mercedes to reach the same top speeds.

For me personally, it doesn't really matter who has more power. While running the strongest PU helps, it's the overall package that wins you races. So far, the Red Bull has proved to be quite a quick car, so here's hoping that the upcoming tracks will suit their package better.

wowgr8
wowgr8

Federico Albano mentioned that Mercedes deploy their ERS aggressively and early on the straight also as a way of keeping the rear tyres in temperature, and explains why the Mercedes is so strong on the straight as well as the clipping

The engine does matter because when the teams are as close as they are, if Verstappen is leading Hamilton won't be left in the dust, he'll push to try and attack Max. And on the straight it's almost no contest

Wouter

https://www.skysports.com/f1/story-tell ... verstappen

The evolution of Max Verstappen

Red Bull's big decision

May 5, 2016. Five years to the day, Red Bull made a bold decision that changed Verstappen’s life forever; one that has shaped Formula 1 ever since.

Aged just 18 and with only 23 races under his belt, Verstappen was promoted from junior team Toro Rosso to take Daniil Kvyat’s place with the former world champions.

In 2016, Max Verstappen broke Formula 1 records by pulling off a remarkable Spanish GP win on his teenage Red Bull debut. As Max returns to the very same Barcelona venue this weekend looking to hit back at Lewis Hamilton in the 2021 title race, we look at what has happened since and how Max has become one of F1’s greatest drivers – and a potential champion.
The Power of Dreams!

godlameroso

We'll see, I know for a fact RBR will be very strong in Barcelona. The emphasis on downforce is higher than the last three races, and as it stands the RB16B carries the most speed through the corners. If Verstappen has a clean race I expect him to finish ~10 seconds ahead of Hamilton if there's no safety cars.
Saishū kōnā

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

To me it looked like most gain was already made in the final corner. The Redbull could be little bit less efficient in those fast corners or they needed a more draggy setup, to compensate for those heavy windsheers.

Marti_EF3

There is a 50% chance of rain at Sunday...