2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
adrianjordan

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

dxpetrov wrote:
12 May 2021, 19:46
Unbelievable how a minor misspoke and wrong word usage ("bendy" vs "being bent / curved") by Lewis spinned all out of proportion! Can we please move on from all this nonsense that will soon be put to bed, as nothing but a BS, and concentrate on actuall racing instead.
Are you saying the flexing isn't happening, or that it isn't gaining the teams any time??

Because either of those things is demonstrably or logically wrong
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

nzjrs

dxpetrov wrote:
12 May 2021, 19:46
Unbelievable how a minor misspoke and wrong word usage ("bendy" vs "being bent / curved") by Lewis spinned all out of proportion! Can we please move on from all this nonsense that will soon be put to bed, as nothing but a BS, and concentrate on actuall racing instead.
Lewis doesn't mispeak like this - if it's something that Toto wanted in the court of public opinion so the FIA would be obliged to act on it, then he mentioned it intentionally.

Lewis, like Kimi, cultivate a certain public persona but that's because they know exactly how the game is played, not because they are not playing it.

f1rules

Great move by merc! And very nice job by rb to make the wing flex/rotate that much in a linear way, but still pass the deflec. Test
But offcourse merc needs to challenge or any other team, i think if it was football and VAR this falls under clear and obvious.
For sure a nice gain, the new test should be implemented faster though, but i quess they want give rb a little time to save it

McMika98 wrote:
12 May 2021, 18:21
mafeotul wrote:
12 May 2021, 10:41
Looks like Lewis’s comments on the flexi wings have generated enough stir as the FIA are now going to get involved. It’s either a clever move, or an evil one from the Mercs.

Its pretty clear there is a significant flexing of the rear element at low and high speed. Easily few tenths in this setup, Afraid this will now be banned with the new stipulation using the camera. Merc are going to dominate again if they have it their way.

dxpetrov

The video posted above shows the wing squatting backwards due to wind load, and the same would have happened regardless of the type of the main wing elements RB chose to use. Lewis' comment came after Saturday sessions when RB changed the RW from full DF to medium DF, which was curvy ("bendy"). This is ridiculously stupid, as ppl trying to find things that don't exist. Could we move on please?
Last edited by dxpetrov on 13 May 2021, 07:49, edited 1 time in total.

ispano6

MKlaus wrote:
12 May 2021, 11:52
Jambier wrote:
11 May 2021, 21:57

Mercedes Quick start improvement lol

But still Verstappen able to overtake him at starts!

Seriously, I’m finding 2021 RBR starts much much better now, it was clearly a weakness last year
this is weird. why was she being so secretive about it?
Performance enhancing drugs? Masi, look into this will ya?

e30ernest

dxpetrov wrote:
13 May 2021, 07:48
The video posted above shows the wing squatting backwards due to wind load, and the same would have happened regardless of the type of the main wing elements RB chose to use. Lewis' comment came after Saturday sessions when RB changed the RW from full DF to medium DF, which was curvy ("bendy"). This is ridiculously stupid, as ppl trying to find things that don't exist. Could we move on please?
Yes, new tests are coming so we can now move on. :D

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

e30ernest

That was brilliant. :D

Wouter

It is not the rear wing that flexes, but the suspension / rear suspension that collapses as the downforce increases.
Just look at the rear wheel compared to the engine cover in the video below.
Credit to @ Pistol-Pollie.

The Power of Dreams!

e30ernest

Wouter wrote:
13 May 2021, 10:48
It is not the rear wing that flexes, but the suspension / rear suspension that collapses as the downforce increases.

The suspension lowers, that is expected. However, the suspension lowering should not affect the level of the wing when compared to the rear engine cover fin. There was a better YT video there with the grid so you can clearly see the amount of flex the wing had.

Edit: Here it is:

NathanOlder

ispano6 wrote:
13 May 2021, 07:48
MKlaus wrote:
12 May 2021, 11:52
Jambier wrote:
11 May 2021, 21:57

Mercedes Quick start improvement lol

But still Verstappen able to overtake him at starts!

Seriously, I’m finding 2021 RBR starts much much better now, it was clearly a weakness last year
this is weird. why was she being so secretive about it?
Performance enhancing drugs? Masi, look into this will ya?
The second part on this video, Monza 2019, looks just like an asthma inhaler. The fumbling around in the pocket is taking the cap off the end.

GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Afterburner

I would like to see a camera pointing the diffuser, bending diffuser on high rake cars would fit like a glove!

djones

Afterburner wrote:
13 May 2021, 11:54
I would like to see a camera pointing the diffuser, bending diffuser on high rake cars would fit like a glove!
If Redbull is desperate enough to use a blatantly flexing rear wing, you can bet they are flexing other things.

To me it seems like the Ferrari engine thing all over again. People can seemingly only compete with Mercedes by 'cheating' but once they are caught they take an even bigger step backwards and regret it.

For example, why did Ferrari use the engine cheat to the extreme - they should have used it a little bit so it was never obvious.

Redbull - why not make it flex just a little bit so its not so obvious that the entire world can see it on the FOM footage.

Slo Poke

e30ernest wrote:
13 May 2021, 10:51
Wouter wrote:
13 May 2021, 10:48

The suspension lowers, that is expected. However, the suspension lowering should not affect the level of the wing when compared to the rear engine cover fin. There was a better YT video there with the grid so you can clearly see the amount of flex the wing had.

Edit: Here it is:

How on earth do they get the DRS opening mechanism to differentiate between normal enough induced atmospheric drag and bendy wing click bai... sorry, I meant syndrome, without opening the DRS at all?
It’s a mystery to me!

Sieper

The wing has been tested and is within current limits. That is not cheating. But, this rule has an addendum that states it can be revised at any time, should the teams engineer their way around it (deemed too much). That has now happened. So the rule is now being made more strict.

You are not allowed to have moving aero. For that reason I think the T wing from the Merc should be removed. It is fluttering all over the place, plus the (also outlawed) fin has grown to such lengths at the Mercedes that it also flutters like mad, it is also time for that to be outlawed. And those are only the parts we can see. If that much is moving who knows what else is flexing.