2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
etusch

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Holm86 wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 14:28
Jambier wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 14:21
So Red Bull will become an engine supplier in F1 ?
Or are they keeping this year Honda and pray for a 2025 solution ?

Meaning, do they hire the manpower needed to develop this engine and the next generation ?
As far as I understand the engines will be frozen from 2022, meaning they will only have to produce the engines, not develop them ...
I think Honda will help/give consultancy during building new Redbull power trains factory to them to establish a sufficient one for producing engines. Maybe some help during engine production too in 23-24 years. Redbull can hire engineers during this time and start to develop their own things. I think it will keep as V6 hybrid with different fuel after 2025. So Redbull will have a good base to develop. I think Redbull can built their own pu if they keep investing.

Big Tea

etusch wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 14:42
Holm86 wrote:
Jambier wrote:

Meaning, do they hire the manpower needed to develop this engine and the next generation ?
As far as I understand the engines will be frozen from 2022, meaning they will only have to produce the engines, not develop them ...
I think Honda will help them to establish their factory for producing engines. Maybe some help during production too during 23-24 years. Redbull can hire engineers during this time and start to develop their own things. I think it will keep as V6 hybrid with different fuel. So Redbull will have a good base to develop. I think Redbull can built their own pu if they keep investing.
If it ends up with Honda departing completely, I would imagine there are several likely candidates to step in and get their name on the engine in exchange for some facilities and assistance if not hard cash
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Ground Effect

Call me crazy, but I’ve got a feeling this project will be a success. Honda have done a great job with the progress of their engine and Red Bull are highly efficient. This doesn’t seem like a whim or the result of a tantrum, this is logically, the next step for a team that wants to control its destiny. From the article, Horner sounds like they made contact with Andy Cowell, even though it doesn’t seem like he’ll come on board. Approaching him shows serious ambition. Good luck to Red Bull.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red- ... =widget-22
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

etusch

Big Tea wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 14:45
etusch wrote:
Holm86 wrote:

I think Honda will help them to establish their factory for producing engines. Maybe some help during production too during 23-24 years. Redbull can hire engineers during this time and start to develop their own things. I think it will keep as V6 hybrid with different fuel. So Redbull will have a good base to develop. I think Redbull can built their own pu if they keep investing.
If it ends up with Honda departing completely, I would imagine there are several likely candidates to step in and get their name on the engine in exchange for some facilities and assistance if not hard cash
if Honda accept it, they must have deal to keep ip/know how in Redbull

JordanMugen

etusch wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 15:23
Big Tea wrote:
etusch wrote:

Horner confirms the power units will be "Red Bull" and not "Honda" or "TAG Heuer".

It will be a Red Bull engine. So it will be, as Mercedes is a Mercedes, it will be an incorporated part of the car. So it will be a Red Bull.
- Christian Horner

https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-b ... t-trending

Jambier wrote:

Yes, this appears to be the plan.

One presumes Honda have placed contractual provisions to prevent the existing units being badged as a rival vehicle manufacturer, but the name Porsche (or even Honda again) could certainly appear on a power unit manufactured by Red Bull Powertrains in 2025 perhaps? Red Bull would be well placed to manufacture the units in-house, and then offer the naming rights to a vehicle manufacturer.

Just_a_fan

Ground Effect wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 15:11
Call me crazy, but I’ve got a feeling this project will be a success. Honda have done a great job with the progress of their engine and Red Bull are highly efficient. This doesn’t seem like a whim or the result of a tantrum, this is logically, the next step for a team that wants to control its destiny. From the article, Horner sounds like they made contact with Andy Cowell, even though it doesn’t seem like he’ll come on board. Approaching him shows serious ambition. Good luck to Red Bull.

RedBull's one failing has been their lack of an in-house engine. Once they are up to speed on the in-house production and then development, there will be no excuses at the end of the engine freeze period in 2025. It will be all RedBull win or lose, and I think that will be a healthy thing for them. With nowhere to place the blame, they will, I think, develop internally as a team too. I can see them "doing a Mercedes" and having a period of domination.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

etusch

JordanMugen wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 15:32
etusch wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Horner confirms the power units will be "Red Bull" and not "Honda" or "TAG Heuer".

It will be a Red Bull engine. So it will be, as Mercedes is a Mercedes, it will be an incorporated part of the car. So it will be a Red Bull.
- Christian Horner

https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-b ... t-trending

Jambier wrote:

Yes, this appears to be the plan.

One presumes Honda have placed contractual provisions to prevent the existing units being badged as a rival vehicle manufacturer, but the name Porsche (or even Honda again) could certainly appear on a power unit manufactured by Red Bull Powertrains in 2025 perhaps? Red Bull would be well placed to manufacture the units in-house, and then offer the naming rights to a vehicle manufacturer.
Of course they can name engine how they wanted but sharing Honda's tech with another car maker will not be fair. Redbull and Honda relations looks good and I think they will keep respecting each other.
Hiring engineers for this project is inevitable. It is not against the fairness. But I am sure Redbull will not bring another manufacturer into this project without Honda's approval. And it is also weird to try bringing another manufacturer when you are insisting to keep going with Honda engine.

El Scorchio

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 15:56
Ground Effect wrote:

RedBull's one failing has been their lack of an in-house engine. Once they are up to speed on the in-house production and then development, there will be no excuses at the end of the engine freeze period in 2025. It will be all RedBull win or lose, and I think that will be a healthy thing for them. With nowhere to place the blame, they will, I think, develop internally as a team too. I can see them "doing a Mercedes" and having a period of domination.
Exactly. It can put an end to the blame culture which has existed in the last 7 years at the team. It has to, unless Horner wants the chew out his own engine department every race meet, in the way he has done with suppliers. That won't go well, though.

Sieper

look at it from the positive side, you won't have to come here months and years after said events and complain about it again. and again, and... ....again. Do you think the people here haven't gotten the message after the Xth time you posted the same.

Jambier

I agree with some of you.

RB needs to hire massively and make evolve this engine through 2022-2024

It will be minor tweaks to ERS and « reliability » upgrade.

But most importantly work on 2025 engine

godlameroso

etusch wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
etusch wrote:

There is a nice exchange, something McLaren was never willing to do. The collaboration between Red Bull and Honda has overall been a good one, it's made sense from multiple sides. Commercial, sporting, branding, and to an extent technical as well.
Saishū kōnā

nzjrs

godlameroso wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 21:48
etusch wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

There is a nice exchange, something McLaren was never willing to do. The collaboration between Red Bull and Honda has overall been a good one, it's made sense from multiple sides. Commercial, sporting, branding, and to an extent technical as well.
How much would I love if they dropped a 'Red Bull Honda powered Honda NSX' using the F1 PU in 2025. =P~

El Scorchio

Sieper wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 17:19
look at it from the positive side, you won't have to come here months and years after said events and complain about it again. and again, and... ....again. Do you think the people here haven't gotten the message after the Xth time you posted the same.
You need to be able to accept critical opinion. It is allowed. There is plenty on all the team threads.

godlameroso

El Scorchio wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 17:06
Just_a_fan wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

Exactly. It can put an end to the blame culture which has existed in the last 7 years at the team. It has to, unless Horner wants the chew out his own engine department every race meet, in the way he has done with suppliers. That won't go well, though.
When have they said anything about Honda? I think Red Bull and Honda have been as transparent as possible and they admit exactly where they were lacking. It was through that honesty that they were able to turn the situation around. Red Bull and Honda both want to win, Red Bull was right to be pissed at Renault for having not only a substandard product, but also their philosophy of cutting corners and being cheap. Red Bull is here throwing money trying to move mountains to win the championship and Renault is simply trying to be mediocre.

Know why Red Bull doesn't blame Honda? Because Honda is on board with the same mentality as Red Bull. In turn the power train and the chassis has been so thoroughly integrated that it wouldn't make sense for them to use another power unit. You don't achieve this type of synergy if both parties aren't invested in the same result. Red Bull felt Renault was not giving that same desire to win, they felt they were being treated as a customer after winning them 4 titles.
Saishū kōnā

Slo Poke

godlameroso wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 00:35
El Scorchio wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 17:06
Just_a_fan wrote:

When have they said anything about Honda? I think Red Bull and Honda have been as transparent as possible and they admit exactly where they were lacking. It was through that honesty that they were able to turn the situation around. Red Bull and Honda both want to win, Red Bull was right to be pissed at Renault for having not only a substandard product, but also their philosophy of cutting corners and being cheap. Red Bull is here throwing money trying to move mountains to win the championship and Renault is simply trying to be mediocre.

Know why Red Bull doesn't blame Honda? Because Honda is on board with the same mentality as Red Bull. In turn the power train and the chassis has been so thoroughly integrated that it wouldn't make sense for them to use another power unit. You don't achieve this type of synergy if both parties aren't invested in the same result. Red Bull felt Renault was not giving that same desire to win, they felt they were being treated as a customer after winning them 4 titles.
That is a profound and well authored comment.