2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
flexbrah
flexbrah

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

teemah wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 01:18
GhostF1 wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 00:39
teemah wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 22:18
I like the fact that Red Bull are revealing very little, if nothing of the RB16B......all very hush hush! Checo sounded very positive after the shakedown

Yeah they have glued their cards to their chest. Although the engine note around 1:12... is that a little different than we are used to???
Yep, engine sounds so tight and sweeter than honey :wink:

Still rough but more sophisticated sound. Difference between the older engine in the STR14 and the AT02 noticable on downshifts

godlameroso

Checo says there's an improvement in overall grip and top speed over the RB15, so it's at least no worse than last year's car. Given last year's car started more or less where the RB15 finished, at least over a qualifying lap. Would the mid season level RB16 be the B's starting point, more or less? If Mercedes has last year's mid spec more or less, RBR would start the season closer than ever.
Saishū kōnā

MiddleKerb
MiddleKerb

RB16B video clip in the first 8 seconds (the square mirror stalks mount indicate it's)
Honda engine sound different from last year

teemah
teemah

MiddleKerb wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 05:26
RB16B video clip in the first 8 seconds (the square mirror stalks mount indicate it's)
Honda engine sound different from last year

Thank you!....and well spotted =D>

N21
N21

Hi all. Been reading threads on this forum for a while now, mainly relating to RBR and Honda. This is my first post because I want to share some insights from the Peter Windsor yt video on the rb16b filming day:

I am a forum noob so I don’t know how to share pictures / stills from the video. The video has led me to believe that Red Bull did in fact run the RB16B yesterday.

If you’re interested, take a look at the video and note my observations at the listed timestamps.

Video timestamps and findings:
2:27 - 2:30: clearly forward angled pushrod in the rear suspension. This is the RB15

2:53 - 2:54: again the visible pushrod of the RB15. Visible from the side, protruding well beyond the rear wheel.

2:58 - 3:00: this appears to be the RB16B with the inward sloped floor and the absence of the forward angled push rod

3:01 - 3:04: rear view of the RB16B. You can clearly see the pushrods angled inwards near the driveshafts. Much like the Mercedes W11 suspension from last year. The layout of this suspension was posted in this thread a couple of pages back. It appears to me that RBR are running a same sort of suspension as Merc.

What is also worth noting is that the press release photos of the RB16B do actually show the forward angled pushrods, which has led me to believe that the press release photos do not actually show the real RB16B.

I don’t claim to know anything, just wanted to share my observations

Jaisonas
Jaisonas

flexbrah wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 02:54
teemah wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 01:18
GhostF1 wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 00:39

Yeah they have glued their cards to their chest. Although the engine note around 1:12... is that a little different than we are used to???
Yep, engine sounds so tight and sweeter than honey :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZrgseolR2I

Still rough but more sophisticated sound. Difference between the older engine in the STR14 and the AT02 noticable on downshifts
Pretty interesting, at 0:36 the first car that shifts down is the str14 and then at02. New honda sounds noticeably louder

etusch

can we say that more loud means more diesel like working in the combustion area ?

RGAEDA
RGAEDA

For all those saying the honda engine sounds different, i think it does.

A tweet from AT's twitter feed.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

etusch wrote:can we say that more loud means more diesel like working in the combustion area ?
More loud could also mean different type of mic used, different placement, post editing... Reading a bit too much into a very “subjective” (sounds more loud) analysis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nzjrs

SmallSoldier wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 16:42
etusch wrote:can we say that more loud means more diesel like working in the combustion area ?
More loud could also mean different type of mic used, different placement, post editing... Reading a bit too much into a very “subjective” (sounds more loud) analysis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
At least in the clip posted it was from the same microphone in the same shot, at the same distance. Somewhat more controlled experiment at least.

godlameroso

Think about when combustion happens on a diesel engine? When does the fuel charge ignite? Since you're not using a spark plug, you have to rely on the heat from compression to ignite the charge. Meaning the charge will always fire after TDC, this is why diesels don't like fast piston speeds, the slower the piston speed the easier it is for the diesel engine to achieve full combustion by ~14-20 degrees ATDC. The faster the piston speed, the faster the piston moves away from it's mechanically ideal point during combustion, and since you don't have a spark plug to help time the combustion, the faster then piston speed, the less power the diesel engine makes. But when it is in its sweet spot, it makes tremendous torque, because of the very high compression, and cylinder pressures.

The harder you blow into a saxophone, the louder the sound, therefore the more combusted air fuel mixture the engine is pumping, the louder it will be. Staying with the saxophone analogy, increasing the compression ratio increases the pitch, much like a saxophone has higher pitched notes where the tube is thinner, where the compression ratio of the air passing through is greater.
Saishū kōnā

BigSexyBeast

N21 wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 13:49

2:58 - 3:00: this appears to be the RB16B with the inward sloped floor and the absence of the forward angled push rod

3:01 - 3:04: rear view of the RB16B. You can clearly see the pushrods angled inwards near the driveshafts.
Sorry mate, both of these are the RB15, the exhaust and wastegate layout give it away as well as the rear wing endplate, the only footage you see of the 16b is the footage of Checo driving and his helmet, you can tell by the mirror mounts
Kill your masters.

Sieper

Yes, so we can confirm they weren’t lying as some were stating in this thread and they did ran the 16B, both drivers, as per what they said. Anything else, we don’t know yet.

cheeRS
cheeRS

BigSexyBeast wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 22:02
N21 wrote:

3:01 - 3:04: rear view of the RB16B. You can clearly see the pushrods angled inwards near the driveshafts.
Sorry mate, both of these are the RB15, the exhaust and wastegate layout give it away as well as the rear wing endplate, the only footage you see of the 16b is the footage of Checo driving and his helmet, you can tell by the mirror mounts
Correct. Red Bull didn't release a single media photo from it's test/filming day of the RB16B. They certainly wouldn't show video of the floor and rear like in the quoted video from N21
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

GhostF1
GhostF1

N21 wrote:
Hi all. Been reading threads on this forum for a while now, mainly relating to RBR and Honda. This is my first post because I want to share some insights from the Peter Windsor yt video on the rb16b filming day:

I am a forum noob so I don’t know how to share pictures / stills from the video. The video has led me to believe that Red Bull did in fact run the RB16B yesterday.

If you’re interested, take a look at the video and note my observations at the listed timestamps.

Video timestamps and findings:
2:27 - 2:30: clearly forward angled pushrod in the rear suspension. This is the RB15

2:53 - 2:54: again the visible pushrod of the RB15. Visible from the side, protruding well beyond the rear wheel.

3:01 - 3:04: rear view of the RB16B. You can clearly see the pushrods angled inwards near the driveshafts. Much like the Mercedes W11 suspension from last year. The layout of this suspension was posted in this thread a couple of pages back. It appears to me that RBR are running a same sort of suspension as Merc.

What is also worth noting is that the press release photos of the RB16B do actually show the forward angled pushrods, which has led me to believe that the press release photos do not actually show the real RB16B.

I don’t claim to know anything, just wanted to share my observations
See to me, that's definitely the RB15 from 2:58-3:04 not the RB16B.

- Trick of the camera angle, the floor isn't sloped inwards, it's lifted from a fin or similar, same is occurring further forward on the floor where it isn't sloped in, but you can see it looks as thought it is.

- Old bargeboards, the RB16B has significantly changed bargeboards to the 2019 car, these are still the old design, they aren't even the form used on last years car.

- The engine cover is still the old one, the new car with the new PU packaging has a pretty defined step around the Honda logo as if they pulled everything they could higher up and really tightened the bodywork to expose more of the floor to regain what was lost. See example attached. The Honda logo is contorted on the new car, the old car its just sloped downwards as normal as it looks in the vid as well.