2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
etusch

Re: Red Bull RB16B

I think last race of last season is a hint for Honda and a warning for Mercedes. When mercedes lost some of their ers power, everything turned in favour of redbull Honda. Even Albon was almost there.
I don't deny that Mercedes may be found performance in both chassis and pu sides. Or just one of them. If redbull maturity, thanks to rules which brings lesser change on the chassis, will allow them to start the season very close to Mercedes, it is a season Hamilton will regret to sign one more year.
What is warning is we saw that Mercedes have only ers advantage over Honda pu and if they lose it for this season, it is an over of pu domination era.
What is hint for Honda is if they can get enough power from ers than their pu is already on par or maybe even better than Mercedes pu. As a Honda fan, I always expect from Honda to beat rivals but I think, this year this expectation is more logical compared to previous seasons. In fact it was logical last year too but mercedes made bigger gain than expected. We will see soon if they could do it again.

SiLo

etusch wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 13:45
I think last race of last season is a hint for Honda and a warning for Mercedes. When mercedes lost some of their ers power, everything turned in favour of redbull Honda. Even Albon was almost there.
I don't deny that Mercedes may be found performance in both chassis and pu sides. Or just one of them. If redbull maturity, thanks to rules which brings lesser change on the chassis, will allow them to start the season very close to Mercedes, it is a season Hamilton will regret to sign one more year.
What is warning is we saw that Mercedes have only ers advantage over Honda pu and if they lose it for this season, it is an over of pu domination era.
What is hint for Honda is if they can get enough power from ers than their pu is already on par or maybe even better than Mercedes pu. As a Honda fan, I always expect from Honda to beat rivals but I think, this year this expectation is more logical compared to previous seasons. In fact it was logical last year too but mercedes made bigger gain than expected. We will see soon if they could do it again.
The last race of last season where Merc ran a compromised cooling solution to test their 2021 engine ideas? The last race of the season was probably the least representative in terms of Mercedes performance.
Felipe Baby!

Juzh

SiLo wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 14:06
etusch wrote:
The last race of last season where Merc ran a compromised cooling solution to test their 2021 engine ideas? The last race of the season was probably the least representative in terms of Mercedes performance.
They ran suboptimal suspension setup as well so they could use that in young driver test to try out 2021 stuff. That last race really isn't representative and people should stop drawing any conclusions from it.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... t/4930906/

One and Only

Last time Honda announced F1 exit they built dominant car, which ironically won the championship with Mercedes engine. I wouldn't be surprised if they have very good PU in 2021. They made much more progress with RBR than they did with McLaren.
"Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk." Tom Waits

godlameroso

Juzh wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 14:13
SiLo wrote:
etusch wrote:
They ran suboptimal suspension setup as well so they could use that in young driver test to try out 2021 stuff. That last race really isn't representative and people should stop drawing any conclusions from it.

So those changes cost them over half a second of lap time?
Saishū kōnā

Juzh

godlameroso wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 15:15
Juzh wrote:
SiLo wrote:

It cost them time. How much exactly only mercedes know.

zibby43

godlameroso wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 15:15
Juzh wrote:
SiLo wrote:

They ran detuned, as well, to adjust for the experimental cooling architecture. Both Merc cars were dead last in the top speed trap during the race. Slower than the Ferrari-powered teams, even.

This is covered in the Motorsport article linked above.

Accordingly, I agree with the above posters that we shouldn’t draw any conclusions based upon Abu Dhabi.

That race aside, Red Bull still made good progress throughout the year in terms of understanding their car, and I can’t wait to see what Sergio can do with his seat this year. What a cool driver pairing, and what a job by Honda with their anticipated PU progress this year. :)

Wouter

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

It is a busy overall, but HONDA is clearly visible, even twice! :) =D>

The Power of Dreams!

holeindalip

etusch wrote:
Do you really think redbull came into Mercedes territory @abudhabi and beat them on outright pace?. It’s been known Mercedes were testing parts for this year since both titles were wrapped up and mercedes never updated the w11 after Belgium. If you believe that then you are going to be in for a rude awakening come the first race...

wesley123

etusch wrote:
This is like saying how much faster the Red Bull was at the end of the race in Silverstone while Hamilton ran a large part of the lap with three wheels.

You being quicker than a handicapped car is nothing good, and not really something you can rely on.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

wowgr8

Dee wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 10:14

Mudflap said the rumours going around about Honda upgrade is 40 HP
40hp no way. And in race conditions? I feel like if possible 40hp would be in peak power mode which is no longer used after he Monza rule change

Jolle

wowgr8 wrote:
06 Mar 2021, 07:50
Dee wrote:

40hp no way. And in race conditions? I feel like if possible 40hp would be in peak power mode which is no longer used after he Monza rule change
It’s also possible because of the qualifying mode is banned, race trim could be more optimised. With the importance of grid position, good chance the PU manufacturers compromised race mode for that slightly (same as they do with the rest of the car).

wowgr8

Jolle wrote:
06 Mar 2021, 10:57

It’s also possible because of the qualifying mode is banned, race trim could be more optimised. With the importance of grid position, good chance the PU manufacturers compromised race mode for that slightly (same as they do with the rest of the car).
People do say that but I think if there was any change last year maybe the PU manufacturers stepped their race mode power up by 1 level (if someone more educated on the steering wheels and radio communications knows they can correct me). Because I feel like 2 laps at power level 10 (for example) are way less harmful to the engine than 350km at power level 8

They couldn't just say "oh, no quali mode? Guess we'll run quali mode in the race then!" If this was possible I think it would require the PU manufacturers changing their engine design philosophy and aiming for as much reliability as possible at the expense of peak power, rather than just constantly develop the peak power which will never get used. I do wonder how this rule change has affected the manufacturers' thinking, and hope the Quali mode ban can be reversed next year if the competition is really tight

ispano6

wowgr8 wrote:
Dee wrote:

The quali mode ban was good for Honda as it led to better software. It's been said by Tanabe that the year over year power gain is the largest ever during the hybrid era. So one can say that the RA621H is better than the 620H was than the 619H etc, which is a pretty big step. The 619H's step over the 618H was thanks to the turbocharger size and help from Honda Jet. It does make me wonder where else in the company did they tap for this year's improvement.

etusch

wowgr8 wrote:
Dee wrote:

Why not possible? it is way more possible for race trim than peak power. For example, lets assume that honda can uses at straights 100 hp of electric power of 160 allowed power. Now they made it possible to use 130 for straights long. And a higher ice mode because of more reliable and efficient engine. Then it can be even more than 40 hp and it will be not peak power but at race trim.
Peak power mode not banned so you cannot say they dont use that power because of q mode ban. One mode can give a few different working character according to drivers throttle or brake inputs. Some of banned mode's job can be done by driver manuelly and finally it is almost same but not that much specific variation available. Because ofhuman factor not that much efficient as well