2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ispano6

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Perez's engine cover obliterated..

etusch

That was very interesting moment. Are they made it so thinner or a production issue?

Sieper

Marko said they had engine issues today. Apparently no biggy (so he says, but I am always afraid when I hear things like that) but they must have forgotten to tighten 1 or 2 screws after the check up. Then such a large piece Like an engine cover can easily blow off.

godlameroso

It can't be too much of a biggie if they're putting in 110+ laps. Long runs look good for Perez.
Saishū kōnā

Kingshark
Kingshark

Does anyone know what the speed traps are for Honda powered cars compared to Mercedes?

lio007

Sieper wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 18:54
Marko said they had engine issues today. Apparently no biggy (so he says, but I am always afraid when I hear things like that) but they must have forgotten to tighten 1 or 2 screws after the check up. Then such a large piece Like an engine cover can easily blow off.
Do you mean the interview with Sky Germany today?
He confirmed they had issues in the morning session.
# Then he got asked if this was mechanical or software
# he answered: mechanical
# then the Interviewer asked where exactly
# and then he became very vague and said, well there is not much you can choose from, there is an engine and a gearbox
# the Interviewer asked if it was serious and if it can be sorted out for afternoon
# he then assured they can, and that they know the root cause

So it was 39 laps in the morning and 78 in the afternoon.

After the lunch break Checo aborted the race-sim early (only 46 instead oft the required 57)
If this was also related to the "mechanical issue" ( or on purpose ) and if they even had to change components is at anyones guess.

Juzh

Kingshark wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 19:51
Does anyone know what the speed traps are for Honda powered cars compared to Mercedes?
Today everyone was either saving engines or sandbagging with top speeds on hot laps in ~310 range. On first day everyone had a much higher engine mode immediately out the gate for whatever strange reason, probably trying to find out if PUs are reliable. Anyway honda,renault and ferrari were somehwere in 324-327 range, and mclaren 329-332. This happened on multiple laps. I'd say on average mclaren definitely had a bit higher top speed. Those are only numbers of course, can't possibly take it on face value (yet).

some screenshots
https://imgur.com/a/T2JPZ3C,

yesterday verstappen on his best lap had a top speed of 323 kmh on main straight. Today Bottas on his best lap had 312 kmh, and gasly on his best 310 kmh.

Sieper

Could just as well be aero differences.

Cassius
Cassius

Or the wind. It changed direction vs yesterday and on the start/finish straight they had headwind.

Wouter

Chief engineer Guillaume Rocquelin says in a press release from Red Bull Racing that he is satisfied. "Sergio drove a full race simulation today, including pit stops. That was very helpful for him as he finds his place in the team and learns our procedures."

He continues: "We had some minor problems, but nothing serious. It didn't affect our program, so these are things you want to encounter during testing. Other than that, it was another good day."

"We weren't doing fast lap times and only drove on a hard compound, so we can't really draw any conclusions from the time lists.
All in all, we've had two good days, and hopefully we can finish the test tomorrow with another one. productive day",
The Power of Dreams!

Zynerji

Cassius wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 21:57
Or the wind. It changed direction vs yesterday and on the start/finish straight they had headwind.
Bingo

Sieper

Yes, that will make a big difference. Feels like a very likely candidate, or more aptly put, bingo!

Juzh

no way does wind reduce top speeds by up to 20 kmh. 320-330 is normal speed range in bahrain in qualifying. Engines were simply running in lesser modes, possibly just using continuous race mode. For example perez was ~13 kmh slower over start finish line compared to max 2020 Q3 run.

Sieper

I made a stupid mistake today, going out on my racing bicycle in what I later learned were up to 90kmh gusts. But from riding my bike years I can tell you that wind makes a enormous difference. Even slight wind.

I still remember Baku collision and that was head wind all straight long, allowing Ricciardo back on Max tail lap after lap. When Max finally dropped him he got stuck behind Lewis and back Ricci was. We know the result.

I am not sure you can simply sweep wind aside.

PlatinumZealot

Juzh wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 00:24
no way does wind reduce top speeds by up to 20 kmh. 320-330 is normal speed range in bahrain in qualifying. Engines were simply running in lesser modes, possibly just using continuous race mode. For example perez was ~13 kmh slower over start finish line compared to max 2020 Q3 run.
Wind effect is huge in sports. In sprinting a 2.0m/s wind is the legal limit for a time to count as a PB or record. Reason is that amount of wind can shave a tenth or two off the end of straight time. And that's just for a tiny human body. Imagine a car with what is essentially a barn door on its back and travelling at 300km/hr. It could be a half a second on the straight in time lost. Easily 20km/hr or more.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏