2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
cooken

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Sieper wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 17:05
It doesn’t have to be an issue, I think, if I remember correctly, racing point had something similar last year?
How did the season end for racing point? Two PU related DNFs in the closing races to lose them P3 in constructors. I don't think they're a great example...

Given the electrical/software gremlins last year there is cause for concern. That said, I think they'll have learned and improved enough to be on top of it. Seems RB and Honda have done a stellar job with performance so let's hope the season isn't mired with reliability issues.

Marti_EF3

IMHO until Barcelona we won't know for sure which car is better. Barcelona will be a good benchmark for everyone. Plus new turn 10 and no testing there this year...

Wouter

Wouter wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 09:57
21.2 Race
a) The track limits at the exit of Turn 4 will not be monitored with regard to setting a lap time, as
the defining limits are the artificial grass and the gravel trap in that location.

>>>> b)In all cases during the race, Drivers are reminded of the provisions of Article 27.3 of the Sporting Regulations.

>>>> 27.3 Drivers must make every reasonable effort to use the track at all times and may not deliberately leave the track without a justifiable reason.Drivers will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with it and, for the avoidance of doubt, any white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not.
Should a car leave the track the driver may re-join, however, this may only be done when it is safe to do so
and without gaining any lasting advantage. At the absolute discretion of the Race Director a driver may be given the opportunity to give back the whole of any advantage he gained by leaving the track.

Max and Lewis inT4.
Max drives how it should be and Lewis does it deliberately not, because that gives him a 0.2 sec time gain advantage each round = gaining any lasting advantage.
And I'm only talking about the gain by driving the ideal line, not even the lesser deterioration of the tire because it wears less because of the wider curve.

Downvote: "Irrelevant considering the directive from Masi regarding this specific corner and how it would be monitored during the race."

It would be mature if this argument were just given in response to my post on the forum, rather than as a downvote. Now I can't comment on it, but hey, that's not what a forum is meant for, right? :roll:
The Power of Dreams!

godlameroso

Talking about track limits changes nothing, the result sticks. Verstappen did the right thing, there are honestly more productive and interesting things to discuss. Like the reliability issues, how they can improve the car, the strategy. Why are we dwelling on this and not simply looking forward to the next race and see who comes out on top in a hotly contested race. With stronger tires, Verstappen will be able to mount a strong charge in Imola, a fantastic circuit. It's going to look fantastic, dueling with Hamilton through the high speed track.

Backmarkers are still an issue and should be considered in the strategy calls.

Mercedes has some pace to gain and so does Red Bull so the development battle will also be incredibly interesting. Just getting on top of the tires is worth a nice chunk of time. Verstappen on his last stint was putting in times comparable to last year.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Analyzing the pace difference, might it have been a good strategy to just stay out until Hamilton catches up? Verstappen's pace was in the 36's and Hamilton's pace dropped to 35's. When Verstappen pitted Hamilton was only able to do mid to high 35's. Had Verstappen been able to maintain a low 36 pace, Hamilton would only have been able to gain half a second per lap. It would have taken Hamilton running to lap 25 to catch Verstappen, a few more laps and Hamilton would have pitted for his final stint anyway, or he would have extended the stint and duel on track for position. If Verstappen could have pushed the stint length they would have pitted together.

The only other option for Hamilton would be to re-undercut and make the final stint even longer.

I don't know, just thinking.

It'll be critical to see how the medium and hards perform over long runs in Imola because that will make a difference in how long the stint can be extended. The softs will likely only last 14-17 laps so maybe they'd be good for a late race push? I believe, like last year, the hards and mediums won't have massive pace difference, and the mediums and hards will last roughly the same. The only difference is the hards will require a more abusive driving technique to get the temperature in the fronts, while the mediums will require more management.

A two stop will have the medium/hard stint ~24 laps. Extending the stint will not be possible with the hards because they will drop off their temperature window in the front if they're not pushed. The mediums will have more pace than the hards but will drop off faster if you push them as hard.
Saishū kōnā

ispano6

It goes to show the sportsmanship of Max but also that the team needs to do better with the tools they have. Max will learn from it and will right the wrong.

Wouter

https://f1-insider.com/formel-1-red-bul ... n-hamilton

Marko reveals Red Bull's update plan

Helmut Marko on F1-Insider.com: “With Max and the car we had the strongest package in Bahrain, but unlike Mercedes we did not operate at our top level. We made small mistakes, for example in the choice of racing tires. The fact that Max had problems with the differential at the beginning didn't help either. So he couldn't get the lead we expected. In the end we have to accept that our performance was not enough to beat an outstanding Lewis Hamilton in a Mercedes. "

Ralf Schumacher on F1-Insider.com: “Before the next race in Imola, Mercedes has two weeks to remedy its weaknesses and to further improve the car significantly. We know from the past that Mercedes is capable of this. "

Marko sees it similarly: “The question is who has more room for improvement. As for us, in Imola we will more or less drive the car that started in Bahrain. There we have to put an end to the mistakes we made in Bahrain. Then we are very well positioned.
The first major update will come with us at the third race in Portugal. "
https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/3115 ... -round-one

Red Bull will not be standing still and will be keen to make up for its mistakes in Bahrain by hammering home its performance advantage.

"What we take away from Bahrain is that we have a quick car and 22 races left," Paul Monaghan, Chief Engineer, Car Engineering RBR said. "It's not won and lost here. "

"We have some developments in the pipeline for Imola, more for subsequent races. It's now a two-pronged fight.

"We need to put this car down on the ground and run so that it gives us no hiccups.
We will put as much performance onto the car as we possibly can by Imola.

"Our destiny is in our control and we can't influence what Mercedes and everybody else wants to do. We've got to remain focused.

"We've identified some areas where the car can be improved and we will concentrate on those.
The Power of Dreams!

Xero

Marti_EF3 wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 07:57
IMHO until Barcelona we won't know for sure which car is better. Barcelona will be a good benchmark for everyone. Plus new turn 10 and no testing there this year...
This year we have Imola before Barcelona, might give us an early peak at that benchmark with it's high speed corners.

etusch

Pany

So you think this strange exception solely for turn 4 during half the race was not done in purpose to help some cars, who have little balance problems and maybe ensure more battles in this important first race after last disastrous covid hit season? mmmmmm, seems you are living on mars
Wouter wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 10:44
Wouter wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 09:57
21.2 Race
a) The track limits at the exit of Turn 4 will not be monitored with regard to setting a lap time, as
the defining limits are the artificial grass and the gravel trap in that location.

>>>> b)In all cases during the race, Drivers are reminded of the provisions of Article 27.3 of the Sporting Regulations.

>>>> 27.3 Drivers must make every reasonable effort to use the track at all times and may not deliberately leave the track without a justifiable reason.Drivers will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with it and, for the avoidance of doubt, any white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not.
Should a car leave the track the driver may re-join, however, this may only be done when it is safe to do so
and without gaining any lasting advantage. At the absolute discretion of the Race Director a driver may be given the opportunity to give back the whole of any advantage he gained by leaving the track.

Max and Lewis inT4.
Max drives how it should be and Lewis does it deliberately not, because that gives him a 0.2 sec time gain advantage each round = gaining any lasting advantage.
And I'm only talking about the gain by driving the ideal line, not even the lesser deterioration of the tire because it wears less because of the wider curve.

Downvote: "Irrelevant considering the directive from Masi regarding this specific corner and how it would be monitored during the race."

It would be mature if this argument were just given in response to my post on the forum, rather than as a downvote. Now I can't comment on it, but hey, that's not what a forum is meant for, right? :roll:

NL_Fer

Yeah excelent recovery. Albon didn’t get passed the midfield once an unfaithful event dropped him behind.

etusch

NL_Fer wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 19:39
Yeah excelent recovery. Albon didn’t get passed the midfield once an unfaithful event dropped him behind.
I think Albon also would perform better with this car. It is better for sure.

Sieper

Albon did also have a point when Gasly totally wasted his own tires on defending against him “these guys fight me so hard”. He was ridiculed for it but it was counter productive for Gasly. Maybe Albon should have left it unsaid but he is not a political guy.

MKlaus

NL_Fer wrote:
how often did max and perez complain of unstable balance in the car like max and albon used to complain last year? if it's not like for like, it's better to stop comparing.

ispano6

etusch wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 19:46
NL_Fer wrote:
I think Albon also would perform better with this car. It is better for sure.
Yep I agree. Albon had good natural speed, but suffered when he didn't have confidence in the RB16. In the RB15 he did rather well against Verstappen. RB16 was really just a car that only Max could drive.