2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JPower

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

Apparently Ferrari is running one engine for every session until the end of the season. Won’t be seeing much speed during practice sessions from here on out.

JPower

Good quali session. P4 and P5 to start and ahead of both McLarens.

These results wouldn't have happened without the new PU IMO. It's clear they can run with McLaren even on unfavorable tracks now, at least over one lap.

Gillian

Very good, best possible result. Red Bull and Merc too fast.

wowgr8

It shows how important the new PU was. Before the summer break we were trading blows with McLaren on a track by track basis but after Mercedes upped the engine modes McLaren (and even AlphaTauri) began to pull ahead. If we hadn't had brought the upgrade P3 would've been completely out of reach

aleks_ader

Well Sainz of Soft is quite brainfart. I guess Ferrari cant have perfect weekend. McLaren manage one. Both teams are really neck to neck and i m loving it. So consistently inconsistent. :D
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

search

yeah, starting on Soft probably isn't perfect, but if it turns out to be a two stop race, he could still be alright. Going by the tyres still available, both Ferrari probably plan to run H-H for the remaining stints anyway.

Big Tea

search wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 11:10
yeah, starting on Soft probably isn't perfect, but if it turns out to be a two stop race, he could still be alright. Going by the tyres still available, both Ferrari probably plan to run H-H for the remaining stints anyway.
Starting on soft--- baring safety car, rain, or other 'problem'. It may fall into his lap to get them used and on to meds in the first couple of laps.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Gillian

Is there a reason Sainz went out on softs first and mediums for his second run? I listened to the team radio but nothing was said about it. Sainz complained about having no grip on the mediums and it sounded like he was surprised that he could not go faster than on the softs... I don't get it.

search

"We were confident the track was going to improve and that I could beat the time I set on the soft but the wind picked up in the second part of Q2, the track was slower and we all struggled to go faster", is what he said himself

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... y90pY.html

Ferrari had only one set of Mediums left for each driver, so that's probably why they splitted the strategy for Q2. Leclerc ended up with the better choice

Gillian

search wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 13:48
"We were confident the track was going to improve and that I could beat the time I set on the soft but the wind picked up in the second part of Q2, the track was slower and we all struggled to go faster", is what he said himself

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... y90pY.html

Ferrari had only one set of Mediums left for each driver, so that's probably why they splitted the strategy for Q2. Leclerc ended up with the better choice
Thank you, now I understand it. Still a bit dumb, could have been better to stick to one run on the M. But hindsight is easy ofcourse.

JPower

Sainz will be OK if can manage to extend that second stint.

He's usually pretty good at pulling off unusual strategies so I'm optimistic.

JPower

JPower wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 18:07
Sainz will be OK if can manage to extend that second stint.

He's usually pretty good at pulling off unusual strategies so I'm optimistic.
So he managed to pull off the first stint but the slow pit stop(again!) really ruined his day. He should've come out in front of Daniel. That's the second time(Silverstone) where he's had the chance to undercut Ricciardo and got let down.

The good thing is that it kept Leclerc free and he ran a pretty much flawless race.

All in all, points gained on McLaren. Mexico should be good for the car and I'd be surprised if Lando didn't take another engine there(they might wait until Brazil though).

LM10

Was Sainz’ car damaged after the touch with Ricciardo? I saw some sparkles, but missed the slow mo of what exactly it was.

JPower

LM10 wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 23:00
Was Sainz’ car damaged after the touch with Ricciardo? I saw some sparkles, but missed the slow mo of what exactly it was.
Yes, he had damage to his front wing. That he managed to keep Bottas and Norris behind for most of the time was impressive.

Also should note, Leclerc finished 25 seconds ahead of Ricciardo and Binotto says Sainz would've been right there if not for the slow pitstop. That is seriously impressive. No way that happens earlier this season.

Manfer

JPower wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 23:03
LM10 wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 23:00
Yes, he had damage to his front wing. That he managed to keep Bottas and Norris behind for most of the time was impressive.
He probably also has floor damage. You could see mclarens rear tire touch the floor.