2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
wowgr8
wowgr8

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

JPower wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 03:46

Nope. I thought it went about as expected for them. If I'm Binotto, I'm happy with the drivers, cars, and strategy. It's a good start coming from 2020.
Binotto was happy today, he praised the drivers, specifically how they pushed. He also said he expects this car to bring them some satisfaction this year (not sure exactly what that means but sounds positive). And said some updates will be coming to Imola. His and Sainz's interviews were very good yesterday. I think Sainz is going to raise this team up a level, and we need him because McLaren also have 2 great drivers, this 3rd place championship battle will be fun to watch

PhillipM
PhillipM

JPBD1990 wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 04:42
I have to say, I never wanted to admit it when he was with Ferrari - but Vettel is done. He should have bowed out last year.
He should have walked long before that. He's just shown year after year since RB that it was the preferential treatments, car and the fact he had a #1 clause in his contracts that kept him going. He's getting blown away by Stroll, someone that Perez left in the dust. And Sainz has come in and is matching Leclerc almost immediately.

Looking forward to the Sainz/Leclerc battle to be honest, should be fun.

JPower
JPower

Ringleheim wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 05:53
JPower wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 03:46
Schippke wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 02:31

Can anybody actually tell me or anybody what Ferrari did WRONG in the race? Because as far as I can tell, unless I'm blind... all I'm seeing is a bunch of positives to take away compared to what we all endured last year.
Nope. I thought it went about as expected for them. If I'm Binotto, I'm happy with the drivers, cars, and strategy. It's a good start coming from 2020.
Finishing 6th and 8th a minute off the pace is a total disaster for Ferrari. I suppose in the wake of last year, it's a minor improvement.

The thing is, this was known and practically planned for.

All the energy is going into next year's car, as it should be. This is a total throwaway season. The only development work that will be done is that which will be relevant to and help next year's car.

As a huge Ferrari fan, I'm glad they are going about it this way.
Disaster? Hardly. Its right where they deserve to be.

Last year was a disaster. This is the recovery. And the improvement isn’t minor either. Its significant in comparison to last year.

Big Tea

I think Ferrari will improve as the season goes on. After last years farce of hardly being powerful enough to drag that aero around, I think they erred on the cautious side.
Now they know where they are it can be cranked up bit by bit until they are getting the best out of the package.
Having 2 consistent drivers will also be a points bonus. At the end of the year even consistent 4ths and 5ths ad up to a tidy sum, and a few lucky podiums would make it look far better than recent seasons
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Sevach
Sevach

Charles lacked a bit of pace, but nothing horrible, tire management still his weak spot.
With Carlos, personally i thought going long on stint 1 was a bad call, will have to take a second look.

Partymood
Partymood

Big Tea wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 14:43
Partymood wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 13:42
Schippke wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 13:17

... or you could look at it as them playing it safe and getting themselves into Q3, whilst chanced it on the Mediums and failed to make it through?

After last year, without knowing what to expect for the first qualifying session of 2021, I'd call that a rather sensible decision.
Look what happened to RedBull and Alpha Tauri...but i guess they have been inflexible too :lol:
But they will probably get over it when the Ferraris are behind them after first pit stop
Come again?

JPower
JPower

Race pace analysis.

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

Mclaren and Ferrari are fairly even aren't they? Tho Charles could've extracted more from the car..
CFD Eyes of Sauron

wowgr8
wowgr8

Norris clearly ahead of the rest of the midfield. Wonder whether we'll see this with both McLarens at other power tracks once Ricciardo is up to speed

Sainz was fantastic, he was faster than Leclerc in 2 out of 3 stints

Herr_Koos

wowgr8 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 10:13

Norris clearly ahead of the rest of the midfield. Wonder whether we'll see this with both McLarens at other power tracks once Ricciardo is up to speed
On that, McLaren have revealed that Danny Ric apparently suffered floor damage when Gasly ran into the back of him, which cost a lot of downforce and thus blunted his race pace.

JPower
JPower

wowgr8 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 10:13

Sainz was fantastic, he was faster than Leclerc in 2 out of 3 stints
Yes, I expect the McLarens to be quicker at power tracks. I think its a given at this point.

I don’t think the Ferrari PU is quite there yet and the McLarens were very quick at power tracks last year as well.

Holm86

F1NAC

Big Tea wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 13:36
I think Ferrari will improve as the season goes on. After last years farce of hardly being powerful enough to drag that aero around, I think they erred on the cautious side.
Now they know where they are it can be cranked up bit by bit until they are getting the best out of the package.
Having 2 consistent drivers will also be a points bonus. At the end of the year even consistent 4ths and 5ths ad up to a tidy sum, and a few lucky podiums would make it look far better than recent seasons
will see. Didn't they tell that they will see if it's worth developing car after May?

wowgr8
wowgr8

It's odd and maybe nonsensical but it always worried me that it's an SF90 that's going to be doing the testing for the new tyres, the SF90 that had notoriously bad tyre management. For contrast Mercedes used a modified W10 last I saw, that car had class leading tyre management, what if Mercedes are collecting better more representative data that will be crucial when it comes to birthing the 2022 cars? Maybe it's completely unrepresentative as the suspension and tyres on the new cars will be different but it's something that bothered me nonetheless

Emag
Emag

Is Ferrari bringing upgrades in Imola? I think Alpine confirmed they will. Logistically it makes sense for Ferrari as well, because the track is a couple of hours away on a truck from Maranello, but it depends on whether they got anything scheduled or not.