2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LM10

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

F1NAC wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 15:46
Big Tea wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 13:36
I think Ferrari will improve as the season goes on. After last years farce of hardly being powerful enough to drag that aero around, I think they erred on the cautious side.
Now they know where they are it can be cranked up bit by bit until they are getting the best out of the package.
Having 2 consistent drivers will also be a points bonus. At the end of the year even consistent 4ths and 5ths ad up to a tidy sum, and a few lucky podiums would make it look far better than recent seasons
will see. Didn't they tell that they will see if it's worth developing car after May?
There was a user in this forum claiming that Binotto told they might develop the car until Spanish GP (which is in May). But I couldn’t find anything. The only thing I’ve read until now is Binotto saying they’ll not invest much in this year’s car.

ryaan2904

wowgr8 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 16:08
It's odd and maybe nonsensical but it always worried me that it's an SF90 that's going to be doing the testing for the new tyres, the SF90 that had notoriously bad tyre management. For contrast Mercedes used a modified W10 last I saw, that car had class leading tyre management, what if Mercedes are collecting better more representative data that will be crucial when it comes to birthing the 2022 cars? Maybe it's completely unrepresentative as the suspension and tyres on the new cars will be different but it's something that bothered me nonetheless
The mechanical part on all the cars testing for 2022 tires will be modified. So all teams won't be getting the 'perfect' data anyways (atleast mechanically).
As for aero, imo the car's aero efficiency doesn't affect testing data in anyway. They don't want to win a race there, they just want to find the way the tires behave at different df levels. So they can keep slapping brute downforce with huge wings (both FW and RW) and record the corresponding tire behavior. You don't want speed/lap time atm, you want the downforce points needed to keep those tires in their sweet spot.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

wowgr8

LM10 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 17:01

There was a user in this forum claiming that Binotto told they might develop the car until Spanish GP (which is in May). But I couldn’t find anything. The only thing I’ve read until now is Binotto saying they’ll not invest much in this year’s car.
Until the Spanish GP wasn't from Binotto, it was insider info from Formu1a uno

LM10

wowgr8 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 18:26
LM10 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 17:01

Until the Spanish GP wasn't from Binotto, it was insider info from Formu1a uno
I see. Well, I guess that they will only do some minor tweaks here and there for the first 1-2 GPs and then completely stop the development for this year's car, unless it's helpful for next year's car. I don't think they will make the level of development dependent of the performance of this year's car.

wowgr8

LM10 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 18:49

I see. Well, I guess that they will only do some minor tweaks here and there for the first 1-2 GPs and then completely stop the development for this year's car, unless it's helpful for next year's car. I don't think they will make the level of development dependent of the performance of this year's car.
If this car was "born badly" as they say in Italy I think they'd have committed to developing it more. But seizing it by Barcelona tells me they're happy with how the car turned out

f1316

Emag wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 16:25
Is Ferrari bringing upgrades in Imola? I think Alpine confirmed they will. Logistically it makes sense for Ferrari as well, because the track is a couple of hours away on a truck from Maranello, but it depends on whether they got anything scheduled or not.
I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that they would bring something to Imola - that said, it may have been a rumour/something someone said on here.

ryaan2904

No Binotto himself said in an interview with sky italy i think, that they're bringing upgrades in the next race. Probably the floor, since that Ferrari floor looks a little underdeveloped compared to the top teams
CFD Eyes of Sauron

f1316

Some more info: https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... e/6006270/
The first updates to the SF21 will arrive for Imola: these are changes that had already been planned, while others are coming, the result of the experiences that emerged from collective tests.

In the wind tunnel, for example, the two vertical bulkheads were tested that McLaren has cleverly introduced under the central part of the diffuser where there is no restriction of the height of 50 mm from the reference plane. It is not certain that the same solution works properly under the Ferrari diffuser. The attention of the aerodynamics is focused on the search for the load and there is talk of modifications to the bottom: the Aston Martin and Mercedes indentation on the trailing edge could be introduced, also introducing other vortex generators in front of the rear wheels.

Even a muzzle with a different integration of the cape that has the task of directing the flow towards the bottom is not excluded. And on the approved 065/6 engine it is not excluded that small updates may arrive on the unconstrained parts to find a few more horsepower.

All seems a bit speculative but let’s see. I honestly hope they don’t spend too many resources fighting for 3rd in the championship - nice if they can do the low-hanging fruit to optimise the package they already have but otherwise focus on 2022. If you don’t get third, so be it - more time in the wind tunnel/CFD for next year.

wowgr8

f1316 wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 12:02
The first updates to the SF21 will arrive for Imola: these are changes that had already been planned, while others are coming, the result of the experiences that emerged from collective tests.

In the wind tunnel, for example, the two vertical bulkheads were tested that McLaren has cleverly introduced under the central part of the diffuser where there is no restriction of the height of 50 mm from the reference plane. It is not certain that the same solution works properly under the Ferrari diffuser. The attention of the aerodynamics is focused on the search for the load and there is talk of modifications to the bottom: the Aston Martin and Mercedes indentation on the trailing edge could be introduced, also introducing other vortex generators in front of the rear wheels.

Even a muzzle with a different integration of the cape that has the task of directing the flow towards the bottom is not excluded. And on the approved 065/6 engine it is not excluded that small updates may arrive on the unconstrained parts to find a few more horsepower.

All seems a bit speculative but let’s see. I honestly hope they don’t spend too many resources fighting for 3rd in the championship - nice if they can do the low-hanging fruit to optimise the package they already have but otherwise focus on 2022. If you don’t get third, so be it - more time in the wind tunnel/CFD for next year.
Sounds very very detailed. I'll hold Nugnes to this. He missed with a lot of news last year but I gave him a pass because the SF1000 was problematic, if he turns out to be wrong about these upgrades then I'll forever take his words with a large cup of salt

F1NAC

They can always focus more on correlation this year. To allign data from track and from windtunnel. It can be beneficial for next year for sure.

Xwang

IMHO they should:
1) optimize the engine (which will be evolved and used next year)
2) improve their understanding of tyres so that to be sure that their methods and tools are working correctly (tires are new this year and they will be new next year too so IMHO this aspect is like a year long testing on how to understand tyres quickly and efficiently)
3) improve their ability to extract the maximum from the car with the correct set-up
4) modify their tools, processes and whatever is needed to be sure to have a valid technical platform without correlation issue to use for next year design and development
If needed what I've said before could also be done at the expense of this year's car performance meaning that if they need to use practice time to do correlation studies for 2022 onwards and doing that they will be less ready for the specific GP it is OK to me (maybe they should just say that at the beginning of the weekend like "We are going to do work which we think is useful for nex year ..." so expectations are lowered)

ryaan2904

f1316 wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 12:02

Theres lots of details in there. Im sure they'll find better setup configurations in the next few races. Hope the stuff about engine, floor and diffuser are true, cuz imo mclaren doesnt hold a candle to the ferrari bargeboards this year. If they can pair it with a solid floor-diffuser combo, the fight for third will be lit.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

f1316

It’s detailed but also includes the word ‘could’ several times - well lots of things could happen. I suppose it’s a Google translate to be fair, so may be a translation point.

Last we were told by the same writer that a new radiator layout would be introduced to solve for drag/aero blockage and that never materialised, so I’ll take it with a pinch of salt.

ryaan2904

Speculations that Ferrari was holding back on engine performance in Bahrain
CFD Eyes of Sauron