2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
wowgr8

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

It says Sainz at Fiorano to learn procedures but what procedures will he learn here that he hadn't already learned through 2 full race weekends and testing? I don't buy that

JPower

wowgr8 wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 19:26
It says Sainz at Fiorano to learn procedures but what procedures will he learn here that he hadn't already learned through 2 full race weekends and testing? I don't buy that
I watched a good bit of Carlos' onboards from Imola and he still can't get to the adjustments quickly. :lol:

Ferrari's wheel has the worst ergonomics of any car on the grid IMO. Too many small knobs.

Andres125sx

Sainz said himself he made a mistake in qualifying as he didn´t adjust brake balance in some corner so he couldn´t brake as hard as possible, so I guess some practice with this new wheel is a good idea

ryaan2904

I don't get it. Why so much extensive testing of the 2018 car?
CFD Eyes of Sauron

JPower

After 2 races, I'm starting to think Ferrari is becoming underrated now. The Race posted a video today proclaiming the McLaren to be on the same level as Merc/RB when Ferrari had the 3rd fastest car Sunday. :lol:

Anyway here's some cool comparisons I found.

They must've been in a mind sync during that second stint. :o

SmallSoldier

Andres125sx wrote:Sainz said himself he made a mistake in qualifying as he didn´t adjust brake balance in some corner so he couldn´t brake as hard as possible, so I guess some practice with this new wheel is a good idea
Drivers can customized their steering wheels, don’t understand why Sainz would use a very different layout to the one he was used to at Mclaren

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier

JPower wrote:After 2 races, I'm starting to think Ferrari is becoming underrated now. The Race posted a video today proclaiming the McLaren to be on the same level as Merc/RB when Ferrari had the 3rd fastest car Sunday. :lol:

They were both hold up Lando, who was nursing his tires... If you place the times of the 3 of them, they will match every lap (except for the laps were they are overtaken by Hamilton)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ryaan2904

JPower wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 03:51
After 2 races, I'm starting to think Ferrari is becoming underrated now. The Race posted a video today proclaiming the McLaren to be on the same level as Merc/RB when Ferrari had the 3rd fastest car Sunday. :lol:

Not surprising. I always believed the cause for Lando podium to be the strategy (with the softs) and Ferrari's lack of straight line speed
CFD Eyes of Sauron

f1316

Right, also though, we have to take into account Ferrari ran a setup with more downforce than was optimal for the dry in order to be quicker in the wet. So it’s understandable that they quicker on inters than McLaren but slower in quali in the dry. The tactic would have worked if not for the red flag and if Leclerc had come away with 2nd place (given he had a 26 sec gap to Norris) then the press might be singing a different tune, but lap times are also not an apples with apples comparison given the conditions and resulting setup/tyre choices.

Ultimately it’s still a bit unclear which car is faster - as Sainz himself said this week, it may be pretty track dependant. I personally don’t care that much if they’re able to beat McLaren - I’m much more interested in whether a) the correlation is right b) the power of the engine (and how that influences next year’s PU), as these things will probably influence whether or not they can produce a winning car next year.

tpe
tpe

I find it very interesting that Ferrari used the 2018 car in their private test in Fiorano. Provably the 2021 car has similar behaviour.

JPower

tpe wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 20:35
I find it very interesting that Ferrari used the 2018 car in their private test in Fiorano. Provably the 2021 car has similar behaviour.
I think they probably have more spare parts or its just cheaper to run than the SF90, although they did use that car during their tire test at Jerez.

wowgr8

They have no reason to switch to the SF90, the 2018 car is more reliable and they've been using it for nearly a year now so clearly it's doing what they ask of it. It's also the best Ferrari of the hybrid era so it may be a pride/feel good thing in addition to everything else

f1316

What are the rules about running these old cars? Like, can they, for example, fit a new diffuser and see what it does? Or is there some kind of scrutinneering that ensures it’s run in the exact spec as was previously raced?

Just seems weird that they’re doing so much of these runs this year and you wonder if it’s a complete coincidence that it coincides with budget caps, limited wind tunnel/CFD use and new regs

tpe
tpe

The most logical explanation is their preparation for the new simulator.
They gather data as much they can.

Or, as I said, the 2 cars have similar behaviour and they train Sainz

Jambier

f1316 wrote:
24 Apr 2021, 12:26
What are the rules about running these old cars? Like, can they, for example, fit a new diffuser and see what it does? Or is there some kind of scrutinneering that ensures it’s run in the exact spec as was previously raced?

Just seems weird that they’re doing so much of these runs this year and you wonder if it’s a complete coincidence that it coincides with budget caps, limited wind tunnel/CFD use and new regs
Does it count under the budget cap those testing? Or is it free to do as much as needed