2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
wowgr8

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

I read the article, he says high speed corners are the car's weakness yet the car did great in Spain? I think he means performance will drop relative to Mercedes and Red Bull and that we won't be close to pole like at the last 2 rounds. The gap from P1 to midfield should revert to around 6 tenths like at every other track

f1316

codetower wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 20:47
wowgr8 wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 17:54
JPower wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 16:41

They'll use the previous one for FP to keep miles off the new one.
I get that but 5 races for PU 1 & 2 then 12 for PU 3? Makes more sense to give each PU 7 races like in 2019
I think the reason they are doing this is because they want to test certain "theories" for next years PU. If they wait too late in the season, they may not be able to adjust if they need to.
It may stretch past the 5 races for PU2 though. But lets say they stick to 5-5-5... that would give 3 slightly used PU's to use for the final 7-8 races. It's not like they'll be competing for the constructors championship.

Lets say they go this route, and they want to ad a 4th PU. is that possible with a grid penalty for one race?
As far as I know, no change in rules to bringing additional components, so yeah, additional ones over the allocation would incur grid penalties.

IMHO I don’t see any real reason not to treat introducing PUs as a kind of a test. They’ll ultimately get more wind tunnel and CFD time for next year if they finish behind mclaren and they’d likely both a) learn more b) have more possibility of potentially winning the race, which I think means more on its own than finishing 3rd in the constructors.

Sevach

wowgr8

f1316 wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 23:40
As far as I know, no change in rules to bringing additional components, so yeah, additional ones over the allocation would incur grid penalties.

IMHO I don’t see any real reason not to treat introducing PUs as a kind of a test. They’ll ultimately get more wind tunnel and CFD time for next year if they finish behind mclaren and they’d likely both a) learn more b) have more possibility of potentially winning the race, which I think means more on its own than finishing 3rd in the constructors.
People keep saying this and it's very unsubstantiated. Ferrari care about 3rd in the constructors more than they do taking a win, Binotto made this clear when the gearbox dilemma came up in Monaco. He also said the wind tunnel time gain from finishing lower is negligible and will barely make any difference

JPBD1990

I feel a sense of momentum again with Ferrari. It doesn’t feel as though they’re lumbering what one half baked solution to the next. There’s no news of them planning ‘b spec’ cars or anything silly as became customary between 2009-1015. They’ve been working on both the car and engine for a long time - surely at an absolute minimum throughout last year given they would have understood very quickly just how hamstrung the engine was. They’ve made some good decisions with respect to team personnel and positions. It seems they are steadily building a great solid foundation which is exactly the thing missing all these years. I’m full of hope, and now also expectation. Forza Ferrari

f1316

wowgr8 wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 04:12
f1316 wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 23:40

People keep saying this and it's very unsubstantiated. Ferrari care about 3rd in the constructors more than they do taking a win, Binotto made this clear when the gearbox dilemma came up in Monaco. He also said the wind tunnel time gain from finishing lower is negligible and will barely make any difference
I didn’t say they value a win more than 3rd in the WCC - or that they don’t care about 3rd (as you say, they’ve stated many times that 3rd is their target) - I’m saying that *I* think it’s unnecessary to worry about 3rd and would prefer to optimise for next year (both by introducing new PUs at the expense of grid positions - if indeed that does provide any learnings - or by finishing lower, eg 4th, in the WCC in order to gain mote development time). Especially if doing those things also gives us a win - I personally would happily trade, say, 1x win and 2x non-points finishes for 3x 4th places, even though you would score fewer points.

Ultimately it may even be that people in the team - including possibly Binotto - have performance related targets to finish 3rd, so they’re probably incentivised to hit those targets. I’m just saying that I don’t think that doing so is necessarily the right thing in the medium term.

wowgr8

f1316 wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 09:57
I didn’t say they value a win more than 3rd in the WCC - or that they don’t care about 3rd (as you say, they’ve stated many times that 3rd is their target) - I’m saying that *I* think it’s unnecessary to worry about 3rd and would prefer to optimise for next year (both by introducing new PUs at the expense of grid positions - if indeed that does provide any learnings - or by finishing lower, eg 4th, in the WCC in order to gain mote development time). Especially if doing those things also gives us a win - I personally would happily trade, say, 1x win and 2x non-points finishes for 3x 4th places, even though you would score fewer points.

Ultimately it may even be that people in the team - including possibly Binotto - have performance related targets to finish 3rd, so they’re probably incentivised to hit those targets. I’m just saying that I don’t think that doing so is necessarily the right thing in the medium term.

We've heard next year's PU is experimental so lots of time and money will be going into it to perfect it, I don't think they'll have time to trial stuff on track. I think they'll be working day and night for these 8 months to ensure its reliable. It probably wouldn't be usable this year and if it was it would be extremely unreliable. Not to mention it would require changes to the cooling on the current car etc, not worth it

Andres125sx

Hopefully I´m wrong, but introducing an experimental PU the season when the cost cap will be applied for first time in F1 history, wich adds to the whole new car with the new aero rules, looks extremelly risky in my eyes.

Even if they´ve been working on it for years, with the lack of real world testing I´m afraid both new chasis and new PU in a season with limited money might be a complete disaster. But as I said, hopefully I´m wrong, they did surprise me this season after all

codetower

Andres125sx wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 17:43
Hopefully I´m wrong, but introducing an experimental PU the season when the cost cap will be applied for first time in F1 history, wich adds to the whole new car with the new aero rules, looks extremelly risky in my eyes.

Even if they´ve been working on it for years, with the lack of real world testing I´m afraid both new chasis and new PU in a season with limited money might be a complete disaster. But as I said, hopefully I´m wrong, they did surprise me this season after all
I think they NEED to take this risk. They need to try a different approach... What do they have to lose? I think an unwise risk would be for Mercedes or Red Bull to go a different direction. Right now Ferrari are at BEST a 3rd or 4th constructor. The only risk would be to stay in the middle of the pack. If they don't try this new approach, I think they risk falling further behind. The upside is they can then compete with the top 2.

LM10

Andres125sx wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 17:43

I would not call it experimental at all when they run it 24/7 on the dyno. Of course real life is different, but that’s why you have simulations. Some have more efficient simulations, others less. Ferrari at least for now seems to be on the right path with their tools and operations.

Also, am I the only one not seeing the problem in bringing a completely new PU and going flat out for performance gains as performance upgrades will be frozen, but reliability upgrades not?
Last edited by LM10 on 16 Jun 2021, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.

Andres125sx

I can agree with you two :)

JPBD1990

I would be more scared if they were going for the ‘experimental’/innovative solution in year-1 of these engine regulations - but they now have 8 years of research and development behind them. Of course they can’t guarantee reliability will be perfect, but they’re not going in blind. It may be different but it doesn’t undo everything they’ve learned in that period. I think(/hope) they’ll crush this and I’m encouraged that they’re going for it! Remember in 2014 the approach was ‘to finish first, first you must finish’ and we all know how terrible Ferrari’s first hybrid was

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

JPower

That last paragraph is a literal pile of bullshit. It's incredible. :lol: =D>

JPower

The car looked OK out there. The long runs seemed to be good. The midfield is a crapshoot so who knows how qualifying will turn out.