2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
wowgr8

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

Ferrari need to stop being so wasteful with points, yesterday wasn't Charles fault but Styria and Monaco were, Sainz has been wasteful as well and so has the team. Carlos actually said it himself he hasn't yet had a full clean weekend with Ferrari despite the speed being there

If the drivers and team clean up their acts then P3 should be no problem considering Ricciardo's struggles, but easier said than done

JPower

wowgr8 wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 19:09
Ferrari need to stop being so wasteful with points, yesterday wasn't Charles fault but Styria and Monaco were, Sainz has been wasteful as well and so has the team. Carlos actually said it himself he hasn't yet had a full clean weekend with Ferrari despite the speed being there

If the drivers and team clean up their acts then P3 should be no problem considering Ricciardo's struggles, but easier said than done
True, they should probably have 35-45 more points right now if certain mistakes were cleaned up.

They've been nowhere near as consistent at McLaren but I think that has as much to do with the car as the team itself. Higher highs and lower lows so far this season. But, they're headed in the right direction and are on track to more than double last year's point total.

codetower

wowgr8 wrote:

I don't see how Monaco was Leclerc's fault. The team failed to identify a fault with one of the parts and he had a DNS. What happened in Styria? Lec qualified 7th, finished 7th (unless I'm remembering the wrong race).

I do think they need to keep doing what they are doing, and take advantage when an opportunity presents itself. This weekend was a good example. Sainz got good points while Mclaren had their best driver out. It's a long season... need to keep chipping away.

Andres125sx

codetower wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 20:54
wowgr8 wrote:

I don't see how Monaco was Leclerc's fault.
Crashing hard in Q3 might be considered a fault by some :mrgreen:

Anycase all of them make mistakes and Lecrerc is far from the top of the list, but he make some mistakes like that one in Monaco. Sainz is higher in the list if you ask me, but Charles did some too

codetower

Andres125sx wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 22:17
codetower wrote:
wowgr8 wrote:

Anycase all of them make mistakes and Lecrerc is far from the top of the list, but he make some mistakes like that one in Monaco. Sainz is higher in the list if you ask me, but Charles did some too
Yes, the Q3 crash was definitely his fault, and I suppose if you really want to get technical, at the end of the day, yes it was ultimately on him that he failed to start the race. But if I remember correctly it was the team who missed the left-rear driveshaft hub. Honest mistake since it was on the other side of the crash, but the car was given a green light to race.

JPower

Andres125sx wrote:
codetower wrote:
wowgr8 wrote:

Definitely a fault to me, just like Sainz crashing in Q2 this past race.

Andres125sx

codetower wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 22:53
Andres125sx wrote:
codetower wrote:

Yes, the Q3 crash was definitely his fault, and I suppose if you really want to get technical, at the end of the day, yes it was ultimately on him that he failed to start the race. But if I remember correctly it was the team who missed the left-rear driveshaft hub. Honest mistake since it was on the other side of the crash, but the car was given a green light to race.
True but not sure if that can be considered a mistake by the team. I guess they can´t X-ray each part of the car to be 100% sure and with current cost cap they can´t replace the whole car to be on the safe side, so this can happen easily, specially if the damaged part is in the opposite side of the crash

I´d say this is the box version of a racing incident with none at fault :mrgreen: but that´s the reason in the end it was only Lecrerc who could have avoided the DNS

JPower

Not good, but that's racing...

ryaan2904

I think it'd be personal between Charles and stroll now; lance crashed into him way back in 2015 when Charles was leading the european f3 championship. Got huge damage to his chassis. He somehow finished 4th in the championship with that chassis, but that was likely a huge blow to his career start.
And now this.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

LM10

Unbelievable that you as a team and driver have zero fault in such an accident and fully pay for it on all levels.

aral

Please note that Lance Stroll does not, as yet, drive for the Ferrari team. Further, discussing penalties awarded by the FIA at Hungaroring belong on the race thread. Please try to stay on topic.

jumpingfish

Did Ferrari have more tyre tests for 2022 than any other team? Previous test was instead of Mercedes when they reached budget limits. I hope it will help Ferrari in future.

codetower

jumpingfish wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 16:25
Did Ferrari have more tyre tests for 2022 than any other team? Previous test was instead of Mercedes when they reached budget limits. I hope it will help Ferrari in future.
Do these tyre tests help the teams at all, or simply for Pirelli's help? Does Ferrari get have financial incentive to run the tests for Pirelli? The data the teams get from the testing is based on a car that will likely be MUCH different than next years. It's not even the SF21 as I understand (the tests are on the SF90?).

jumpingfish

codetower wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 19:07
jumpingfish wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 16:25
Do these tyre tests help the teams at all, or simply for Pirelli's help? Does Ferrari get have financial incentive to run the tests for Pirelli? The data the teams get from the testing is based on a car that will likely be MUCH different than next years. It's not even the SF21 as I understand (the tests are on the SF90?).
I'm not sure but if those tests bring no benefits, Ferrari wouldn't spend time and money for this instead of Mercedes :-k

wowgr8

codetower wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 19:07
They help both but supposedly these tyres aren't final yet, they will still need to be tweaked and may still end up being different. All data is useful though and I do hope Ferrari are putting it to good use. Must be really tough when the 2022 car will have totally different aero, suspension and balance

I'm surprised at how "stock" these mule cars look when the 2022 car is meant to be up to 4 seconds slower than the current cars. I would expect the front and rear wings to be heavily trimmed on top of other changes but the cars look untouched