2021 Haas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: 2021 Haas F1 Team

The Power of Dreams!

Manoah2u

I assume this is the first car Haas will ever build themselves? They have been using previous-season models from Ferrari in the past, i can't imagine that they can do something like that for 22 right?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

the EDGE

Manoah2u wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 21:59
I assume this is the first car Haas will ever build themselves? They have been using previous-season models from Ferrari in the past, i can't imagine that they can do something like that for 22 right?
No, Haas will continue to buy all non-listed parts from Ferrari (like AM will from Mercedes).

And now, instead of using Dallara to build their listed parts for them, this will be carried out by the new Ferrari customer unit based at Maranello & headed by Simone Resta

2022’s regs provide for closer cooperation, not less

Radley

Are Haas allowed to use their wind tunnel "Windshear"?

Zynerji

Radley wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 21:02
I think WindShear tunnel is outlawed as it's full sized, not 60%.

I'm interested in the 2022 HAAS as well. They have more tunnel time than other teams, so they may actually hit something and be ahead of the big teams.

FW17

Windshear is not outlawed, it is similar to Sauber.

Windshear is not used as it has not been adapted for 60% scale testing. Haas does not use it as they are better off using the Ferrari tunnel which is closer to their designers.

Rodak

To be absolutely clear, it's the size of the model being tested that is limited, not the 'size' of the wind tunnel. 60% scale models are the maximum size allowed for wind tunnel testing.

Zynerji

FW17 wrote:
30 Oct 2021, 13:33
Windshear is not outlawed, it is similar to Sauber.

Windshear is not used as it has not been adapted for 60% scale testing. Haas does not use it as they are better off using the Ferrari tunnel which is closer to their designers.
And calibrated.

diffuser

Zynerji wrote:
30 Oct 2021, 01:27
Radley wrote:

I'm interested in the 2022 HAAS as well. They have more tunnel time than other teams, so they may actually hit something and be ahead of the big teams.

Wouldn't you be able to use the full size tunnel as long as the model is 60% ?

The purchase of parts thing is really complicated. They'll definitely need to make SOME of their own parts called LTC(listed team components) which are now defined as “components whose design, manufacture and intellectual property is owned and/or controlled by a single competitor or its agents on an exclusive basis”. Think Haas used Dallara, not sure if they're gonna continue to do that or bring it in house... Those are parts that include the survival cell, front impact structure, roll structures, brake ducts and the bodywork.

Parts you can buy are called TRCs [transferable components, those whose design, manufacture and intellectual property resides with a single supplier]. Aside from the PU we have only suspension Parts.
- Inboard Rear Suspension
- Rear Suspension Members
- Rear Upright Assembly (Excluding Axles, bearings, nuts & retention system)
- Inboard Front Suspension
- Front Suspension Members
- Front Upright Assembly(Excluding Axles, bearings, nuts & retention system)
Last edited by diffuser on 02 Nov 2021, 22:26, edited 2 times in total.

Zynerji

diffuser wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 21:55
Zynerji wrote:
30 Oct 2021, 01:27
Radley wrote:

Wouldn't you be able to use the full size tunnel as long as the model is 60% ?
I believe the entire tunnel has to be scaled, but I defer to the professionals for final say.

I do know that the were able to trade a straight-line test day for a day in a full-sized tunnel, but I'm unaware if that is still a thing or not.

f1rules

interesting bit for the Haas fans, Kevin in this weekends danish F1 coverage talked about the decline of Haas. He said until 18 or 19 the Haas cars where heavily inspired by ferrari in all aspects. They share the same design office apparently, he mentioned. But onwards, some of the Haas designers with egos, his exact words, choose to follow their own path more, instead of reverse engineering ferraris stuff and it was all downhill from there...
He also mentioned that ferrari had interest in the cars being similar, for obvious reasons.. but still the ego's won and the team lost
Last edited by f1rules on 09 Nov 2021, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.

jumpingfish

f1rules wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 09:49
interesting bit for the Haas fans, Kevin in this weekends danish F1 coverage talked about the decline of Haas. He said until 18 or 19 the Haas cars where heavily inspired by ferrari in all aspects. They share the same design office apparently, he mentioned. But onwards, some of the Haas designers with egos, his exact words, choose to follow their own path more, instead of reverse engineering ferraris stuff and it was all downhill from there...
He also mentioned that farrari had interest in the cars being similar, for obvious reasons.. but still the ego's won and the team lost
Wow, interesting info, thank you. So can we think that if Ferrari set up Haas hub F1 facility at Maranello base, Haas will be back to the midfield in 2022?

f1rules

and for the few ones understanding danish :-), here is his comments
https://www.tv3sport.dk/sport/motorspor ... have-gjort

yener

Bit of a shame that this thread has been so silent since there has been quite alot going on in team Haas.

Nikita Mazepin claimed his dissapointing results due to a "heavy chassis". It seemed that Mick had a newer "lighter chassis". Steiner didnt want to spend or invest in it, because the difference in weight wouldt do much in laptime because the difference in weight was to small.
Jet, Mazespin got his lighter chassis after the summer break but got outqualified 19 times by his teammate. In Monza Mick didnt qualify. So the problem wasnt the chassis..

Nikiza Mazespin is not going to make it. Every penny now is welcome at Haas and his father brings plenty of them.

I think compared to to Mick, Mick is the faster one. Unfortunately Mick makes unneccesary mistakes like he did in Jedah. Suddenly losing control and crashing into a wall, also i remember him making a similair mistake in Spa.
But still, this guy has a lot of raw speed in him. I just would love to see him in another team, just to see how fast he really is.

By the way no words needed for the team performance. They did everything the could with their car which was basicly a 2020 Haas. They now have the most time to spend on the windtunnel so lets hope for a blasting evolution next year :D
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

diffuser

jumpingfish wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 10:11
f1rules wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 09:49
He also mentioned that farrari had interest in the cars being similar, for obvious reasons.. but still the ego's won and the team lost
Wow, interesting info, thank you. So can we think that if Ferrari set up Haas hub F1 facility at Maranello base, Haas will be back to the midfield in 2022?
Pretty sure Haas's biggest problems have been financial. In 2019 they were screwed over by Rich Energy. Then in 2020 they were hit hard by COVID. They don't have deep pockets and to dump their drivers in favour of pay drivers. The Pink Mercedes scandale really put clamps on what they could buy from Ferrari and restricted creative copying. They did the min to meet the regs for 2021 but haven't invested in the car since early 2019. All the money has gone into 2022. For 2022, they need to design and build most of their own car. They can only buy motor gearbox and suspension from Ferrari. Everything aero related, has to be Haas original.

We'll see how they do next year. They should be coming out the other side of the financial crises. No idea what the budget was this year that they spent on building the 2022 challenger but they didn't spend much on 2021 car.