2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 18:03

Great drivers can sometimes bring great results even with a broken car

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202104 ... 88b93c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MCL33 gives me PTSD.
But that was indeed an amazing performance by Fernando. He was consistently about 0.5 quicker than Stoffel and half his floor was missing. Makes you wonder if he would have had a shot at the podium if he didn't have the incident at the start. Would have been some stat to have a podium with that car.

SmallSoldier

M840TR wrote:
Lucky wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 15:36
https://youtu.be/BPaYGmhVZN0
Gasly up by as much as 6km/h on some straights! Better in front limited low-speed corner entry. Mclaren with better exit but might just be different approach.
It’s interesting... Gasly actually carried more speed onto some of the corners, but Daniel would get on the throttle earlier and therefore be up at the beginning of the straights, nevertheless Gasly will have higher top speed in most of them.

My guess is that Mclaren run a bit more downforce/drag to protect the tires during the race and that’s why Gasly seems to take a lead in almost every single straight even when Daniel would have the advantage on initial throttle application.

That AT is quick, I was surprised how it will take the lead on the KPH race with certain ease.

SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 18:03

Great drivers can sometimes bring great results even with a broken car

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202104 ... 88b93c.jpg

MCL33 gives me PTSD.
But that was indeed an amazing performance by Fernando. He was consistently about 0.5 quicker than Stoffel and half his floor was missing. Makes you wonder if he would have had a shot at the podium if he didn't have the incident at the start. Would have been some stat to have a podium with that car.
I know the feeling... I was scratching my head all season long trying to understand what went so wrong :(

_cerber1

This was New Lando, uncompromisingly yet very successfully aggressive and determined, and exuding a hitherto unseen fire.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... yMqeJ.html

Xero

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 18:16
M840TR wrote:
Lucky wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 15:36
https://youtu.be/BPaYGmhVZN0
Gasly up by as much as 6km/h on some straights! Better in front limited low-speed corner entry. Mclaren with better exit but might just be different approach.
It’s interesting... Gasly actually carried more speed onto some of the corners, but Daniel would get on the throttle earlier and therefore be up at the beginning of the straights, nevertheless Gasly will have higher top speed in most of them.

My guess is that Mclaren run a bit more downforce/drag to protect the tires during the race and that’s why Gasly seems to take a lead in almost every single straight even when Daniel would have the advantage on initial throttle application.

That AT is quick, I was surprised how it will take the lead on the KPH race with certain ease.

I think it was more to do with Mercedes PU issues. The energy recovery systems have some gremlins they need to figure out, as they were derating too quickly, particularly in qually trim. That's what Lando was referring to as free time.

Lucky

CjC
CjC

_cerber1 wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 21:23
This was New Lando, uncompromisingly yet very successfully aggressive and determined, and exuding a hitherto unseen fire.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... yMqeJ.html
It’s been said before but I’ll say it again, it’s a big year for Lando, everyone talks about George Russell walking into a Merc drive if one becomes available because he thrashes Kubica and Latifi and faired well at the Sakhir GP.
If Lando fairs well against Ricciardo then surely he has to be talked about as a future champion as well. Also if Sainz does well compared to Leclerc then some of that spot light should be shone on Lando too
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

I feel this is different to last years great start by Lando, I hope that I'm right on that. He still needed a lot of support last year and wasn't quite standing on his own feet still, but this was different. This was a style I had not yet seen from him, it was strong and it was confident. I hope that he carries it through the season and I hope that seeing what his own talent and drive can reward him with will help keep his head up when he takes a knock, and help him to continue pushing like he did on the Bahrain sunday. Go go alpha Lando! hehe

On anothor note, I watched Drive to Survive finaly and it was just a pants as many have suggested. And what's with so much Austria?? There was nothing of Mclaren until episode 8, but to be fair we then had an entire episode, which naturally I enjoyed. It was interesting to see the polite animosity after Carlos had to let Lando past in Austria.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

_cerber1

"Although Daniel is new to the car there are some differences with the car this year and how you have to drive it," the Briton added. "At points his driving style is better for it and is more suited for it."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/norri ... e/6059714/

chrisgr

Someone asked yesterday if we have any upgrades planned for the next races. I dont know there that post gone.Ferrari and AT have confirmed upcoming upgrades.

CjC
CjC

chrisgr wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 08:48
Someone asked yesterday if we have any upgrades planned for the next races. I dont know there that post gone.Ferrari and AT have confirmed upcoming upgrades.
Its something on my mind too.
I know Mclaren took an upgrade to near enough every race last season and will no doubt continue to do so during the early part of this season but without hearing anything from the team it makes me start to panic :lol:
Just a fan's point of view

Ground Effect

chrisgr wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 08:48
Yes, I asked that question yesterday, but the comment disappeared. I think I posted it on the car thread, not sure anymore. Perhaps the mods thought it shouldn’t be there? Like it’s been mentioned that AT and Ferrari are bringing upgrades, with it being so close already, this could give them an edge. Hopefully the team is playing their cards close to their chest and have something planned.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier

Since there weren’t many updates during the last race, the expectation would be for a few to be installed for Imola, since that would be roughly 5 weeks from testing.

The team not been loud about it is good, keeping a low profile :)

McFAN

"THE FIRST HINT OF A REVIVED McLAREN-FERRARI F1 RIVALRY"
https://the-race.com/formula-1/the-firs ... 1-rivalry/