2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NiyolHuayra

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Emag wrote:
03 May 2021, 20:15
NiyolHuayra wrote:
03 May 2021, 20:09
Since every team know Barcelona track to every mm^2, do we know from past experience how does this track suit McLaren? For sure this one will be an exciting one to watch!
S1 should be very good, S2 should be good and S3 should be bad.
My thoughts as well, since we are still slow at low speeds.

_cerber1

pit stop #-o
Last edited by _cerber1 on 04 May 2021, 08:44, edited 2 times in total.

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
03 May 2021, 18:25
Since we still have a few days before we get into the Spanish GP discussion, I wanted to see if we would like to speculate about Lando Norris’ “Toys”...

I don’t think it has been mentioned yet, but at the end of the GP during the regular radio communication, Lando tells his engineer:

“Toys are really good, but I didn’t do that much... Only D-6” and a few laughs ensue.

New toys? Engine modes? The “D-6” makes me think about Differential Mode 6? Maybe part of the upgrades that Seidl mentioned for Portimao that we can’t actually see? (Not sure if differentials can be changed freely and without penalty)... In any case, if it is a new Differential or settings, apparently they were all race on the same setting.

Just thought it would be interesting to hear everyone else’s opinion on the matter :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Engine modes are froozen so not that ...

Diffs can change the amount of power applied ot each tire on the fly through Electro-hydraulic devices used to constantly change the torque acting on both of the drive wheels at different stages in a corner. This torque relationship can be varied to 'steer' the car through corners, or prevent the inside rear wheel from spinning under harsh acceleration out of a bend.
The FIA allows the use of these devices provided that their characteristics are fixed once the car is out on the track. So he would have had to set the diff setting before the beginning of the race.

SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
03 May 2021, 18:25
Since we still have a few days before we get into the Spanish GP discussion, I wanted to see if we would like to speculate about Lando Norris’ “Toys”...

I don’t think it has been mentioned yet, but at the end of the GP during the regular radio communication, Lando tells his engineer:

“Toys are really good, but I didn’t do that much... Only D-6” and a few laughs ensue.

New toys? Engine modes? The “D-6” makes me think about Differential Mode 6? Maybe part of the upgrades that Seidl mentioned for Portimao that we can’t actually see? (Not sure if differentials can be changed freely and without penalty)... In any case, if it is a new Differential or settings, apparently they were all race on the same setting.

Just thought it would be interesting to hear everyone else’s opinion on the matter :)

Engine modes are froozen so not that ...

Diffs can change the amount of power applied ot each tire on the fly through Electro-hydraulic devices used to constantly change the torque acting on both of the drive wheels at different stages in a corner. This torque relationship can be varied to 'steer' the car through corners, or prevent the inside rear wheel from spinning under harsh acceleration out of a bend.
The FIA allows the use of these devices provided that their characteristics are fixed once the car is out on the track. So he would have had to set the diff setting before the beginning of the race.
Aren’t differential settings something that can adjust throughout the lap? I thought they could make those adjustments in a similar manner to how they change brake bias from corner to corner.

The reminder question is if they can change differentials through the season or are they locked like for example gear ratios... Is there an allocation for those like with Gearboxes (3 races)... I ask because what caught my attention was the comment in regards to “New Toys”

diffuser

What I read is you can change the diff map but not once the race has started.

djos

Very good race for Mclaren, Daniel recovered very well to grab yet more valuable points, and Lando put in yet another stellar drive!

It looked like Daniel found the Hard tires challenging to get pace from - I was hoping the team would put him on the Soft tires for the last 15-20 laps as I reckon he'd have bagged another 2 places on them. That said I'm not sure if he had any new soft tires left?

It'll be interesting to see how Daniel goes at Barcelona - he knows this track incredibly well from many, many years of testing and racing there. Imo it should really help him fine-tune his driving style to extract the most out of the car. I would not be at all surprised to see him at least out-qualify Lando and possibly beat him in the race.
"In downforce we trust"

SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:What I read is you can change the diff map but not once the race has started.
This article from Formula 1 (in regards to Red Bull’s issues with the diff) implies that the diff settings can actually be changed by the driver while on track / during the race:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... qLMpA.html

SmallSoldier

djos wrote:Very good race for Mclaren, Daniel recovered very well to grab yet more valuable points, and Lando put in yet another stellar drive!

It looked like Daniel found the Hard tires challenging to get pace from - I was hoping the team would put him on the Soft tires for the last 15-20 laps as I reckon he'd have bagged another 2 places on them. That said I'm not sure if he had any new soft tires left?

It'll be interesting to see how Daniel goes at Barcelona - he knows this track incredibly well from many, many years of testing and racing there. Imo it should really help him fine-tune his driving style to extract the most out of the car. I would not be at all surprised to see him at least out-qualify Lando and possibly beat him in the race.
We also should consider that the last couple of races have been performed at tracks that would enhance any lack of confidence in a car from a driver... Both Imola and Portimao have been tracks were grip conditions have been very low, whether because of the rain washed out the rubber at Imola or the new surface at Portimao proving difficult for the drivers.

If the challenge for a lot of the drivers that are driving their first races with their new teams arrive from lack of confidence on what the car limits are, then it will be exacerbated on tracks where grip levels are very low... I’m sure that come Barcelona, most of this drivers will be more up to speed with their cars, not only because they will have more experience / laps with their new machinery, but also because they will be going back to tracks where grip levels should fall more on what could be consider “normal”.

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
04 May 2021, 02:30
diffuser wrote:What I read is you can change the diff map but not once the race has started.
This article from Formula 1 (in regards to Red Bull’s issues with the diff) implies that the diff settings can actually be changed by the driver while on track / during the race:

Verstappen was finding from as early as the formation lap that the inner wheel was spinning at Turns 1-2. So, he reacted by choosing a higher degree of locking on the diff. The read-out on the steering wheel confirmed his choice, but the behaviour of the car was unchanged.

Technically that no different than what I assumed. They are allowed to make changes to the map before the race starts.

SmallSoldier

2021 Mclaren F1 Team

diffuser wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Verstappen was finding from as early as the formation lap that the inner wheel was spinning at Turns 1-2. So, he reacted by choosing a higher degree of locking on the diff. The read-out on the steering wheel confirmed his choice, but the behaviour of the car was unchanged.

Technically that no different than what I assumed. They are allowed to make changes to the map before the race starts.
This is the part in the article that confuses me:

The use of electro-hydraulic control for the diff in F1 allows the resistance to be varied between set points, via a steering wheel switch. This controls the friction resistance by varying the hydraulic pressure on the friction plate.

So, if the resistance can be varied via steering wheel, it would be a fair assumption that the drivers can make changes during the race / lap... I looked at the Technical Regulations and couldn’t find any information in regards to the differential

Furthermore, the following video explaining the F1 steering wheel (in this case Fernando Alonso), shows and explains the dials for changes on the differential for corner entry and exit:

And here is a video of Daniel Ricciardo making changes during a qualifying lap, he changes the differential settings at several portions of the track.

So, I would say that is confirmed that drivers can and do change differential settings during the race

MrGapes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbYpcWOfP-U

Around 1.50 Daniel mentions potential upgrades for Barcelona.

Lucky

CjC
CjC

Yea he’s been mentioning these upgrades a lot over this weekend and that he’ll feel more comfortable when they come but I hope these upgrades don’t take the car away from Lando... we don’t need one pulling in one direction and the the other going the other way
Just a fan's point of view

MrGapes

Yeah I think the updates shouldn't really affect the characteristics of the car... but maybe make it more stable for different phases of a corner for both drivers (I hope)... because in the Q1 comparison... it just seemed as if Daniel couldn't get quite the rotation or confidence on throttle Lando was managing

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
04 May 2021, 08:09
diffuser wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

This is the part in the article that confuses me:

The use of electro-hydraulic control for the diff in F1 allows the resistance to be varied between set points, via a steering wheel switch. This controls the friction resistance by varying the hydraulic pressure on the friction plate.

So, if the resistance can be varied via steering wheel, it would be a fair assumption that the drivers can make changes during the race / lap... I looked at the Technical Regulations and couldn’t find any information in regards to the differential

Furthermore, the following video explaining the F1 steering wheel (in this case Fernando Alonso), shows and explains the dials for changes on the differential for corner entry and exit:

And here is a video of Daniel Ricciardo making changes during a qualifying lap, he changes the differential settings at several portions of the track.

So, I would say that is confirmed that drivers can and do change differential settings during the race

The can but it isn't allowed..."The FIA allows the use of these devices provided that their Characteristics are fixed once the car is out on the track."
http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/differential.html