2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

JRindt wrote:
04 May 2021, 17:30
CjC wrote:
04 May 2021, 17:04
High praise indeed👍🏻

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/seidl ... t/6502511/
“If we keep delivering upgrades to the car, if Lando keeps doing what he did so far these first three races, it will end up in keeping the pressure on these guys ahead of us and then there will be opportunities to finish races in front of them”

They sure are talking about upgrades way more than they did these last 2 years. I have a feeling it’s going to be a substantial package, which has the potential to break free from Ferrari and hang on to the coat tails of top 2 🤞
Well.... you can't assume only one car will get faster!

I'm sure Ferrari will also get faster this year, through setup and upgrades. But hopefully not faster than us and yeah, hopefully even a gap grows (In our favour!).

But I remember arguing that Ferrari could fight for a top three this season and there were a lot of people who thought they couldn't make that step, but they made an enormous leap. They have a lot of talented individuals and they as much as anyone and if not more, can pull a rabbit out of the hat at times.

But I definitely share your enthusiasm which is coming from a great car and what looks to be a great year.

What's crazy is that we could finish 4th and this would still be an amazing year, maybe still better than last year, as relentless progress get's harder and harder as you move closer to the front, so to be gaining the way we are is amazing and getting harder with every year that passes.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
05 May 2021, 17:00
SmallSoldier wrote:
04 May 2021, 16:03
diffuser wrote:
The can but it isn't allowed..."The FIA allows the use of these devices provided that their Characteristics are fixed once the car is out on the track."
http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/differential.html
@diffuser

I don’t know how reliable is that website and the information in it... But I have a tendency to believe more on the footage of the drivers actually changing the differential “on track” during qualifying (instead of for example during practice)... If it would be banned, they wouldn’t be able to use it and they wouldn’t have 2-3 sets of dials on their steering wheels to make the changes.

It would be nice to have some information from the Tech Regs or Sporting Regs, but I’m satisfied by the explanation from the team’s themselves as well as the footage... Thanks for the info though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You two gentleman might find this useful.

In it, it describes how Max lost pace in Bahrain because he was unable to adjust the diff, so it would seem that in race changes are fine.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... qLMpA.html
SS quoted that before. I'll repeat what I said to him ...it says "Verstappen was finding from as early as the formation lap that the inner wheel was spinning at Turns 1-2. So, he reacted by choosing a higher degree of locking on the diff. The read-out on the steering wheel confirmed his choice, but the behaviour of the car was unchanged. Therefore he was having to adapt his driving accordingly, by being less aggressive with the power application out of those low-speed corners."

so he was trying to make the change before the race started, which is suggested to be allowed. by "The FIA allows the use of these devices provided that their Characteristics are fixed once the car is out on the track."

That even suggests that when one comes in for a pitstop to change tires, a change to the diff setting can be made. You just can't while on track in race conditions (change corner to corner).

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
@diffuser

I don’t know how reliable is that website and the information in it... But I have a tendency to believe more on the footage of the drivers actually changing the differential “on track” during qualifying (instead of for example during practice)... If it would be banned, they wouldn’t be able to use it and they wouldn’t have 2-3 sets of dials on their steering wheels to make the changes.

It would be nice to have some information from the Tech Regs or Sporting Regs, but I’m satisfied by the explanation from the team’s themselves as well as the footage... Thanks for the info though.

In it, it describes how Max lost pace in Bahrain because he was unable to adjust the diff, so it would seem that in race changes are fine.

SS quoted that before. I'll repeat what I said to him ...it says "Verstappen was finding from as early as the formation lap that the inner wheel was spinning at Turns 1-2. So, he reacted by choosing a higher degree of locking on the diff. The read-out on the steering wheel confirmed his choice, but the behaviour of the car was unchanged. Therefore he was having to adapt his driving accordingly, by being less aggressive with the power application out of those low-speed corners."

so he was trying to make the change before the race started, which is suggested to be allowed. by "The FIA allows the use of these devices provided that their Characteristics are fixed once the car is out on the track."

That even suggests that when one comes in for a pitstop to change tires, a change to the diff setting can be made. You just can't while on track in race conditions (change corner to corner).
The problem is that your source is not from Formula 1... In addition, there is video proof of the drivers performing changes to their differentials “corner by corner” and even twice in the same corner (before braking and mid corner)... Not only that, a quick search of videos explaining the steering wheel setups (even by the team themselves) clearly state that those changes can and are perform in within the lap ni qualifying / race conditions.

There is enough evidence that Differential Settings can be changed (just as they change Brake Bias) while they are on track and unluckily only one source (that is quoted by others) from a non-F1 related webpage that says the opposite :)

_cerber1

McFAN
McFAN

Nice to see Lando starting to grab the attention of mainstream media.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/only ... -p9gn0hws6

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
05 May 2021, 18:04
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

@diffuser

Fair enough I didn't see it posted, I just thought it was useful.

There is also this, I didn't see this posted but it also seems useful. it's Gary Anderson, I know, but all the same, it seems to suggest there is a lot of free play not only to have different maps, but to be able to select them. It says there are only two regs for the differential, neither seems to suggest anything about in race, but who knows.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/how-f1-d ... ials-work/

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
05 May 2021, 23:14
diffuser wrote:
mwillems wrote:

There is also this, I didn't see this posted but it also seems useful. it's Gary Anderson, I know, but all the same, it seems to suggest there is a lot of free play not only to have different maps, but to be able to select them. It says there are only two regs for the differential, neither seems to suggest anything about in race, but who knows.

Good question to ask a driver I guess. I agree with you and SS, it could be either way.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
06 May 2021, 00:17
mwillems wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Good question to ask a driver I guess. I agree with you and SS, it could be either way.
That was a good thought, so I found this video of Valteri Bottas discussing the diff, and how when changed during a cornering phase, can add (or lose grip) quite instantly, it's not fully definitive, but it does seem to be suggesting in corner changes. But this was the 2019 wheel so I don't know if what is allowed has changed since then.

It's an interesting video, the diff explanation comes in around 3:20

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsport ... explained/

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
diffuser wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Thanks for the article! That’s one that I didn’t find.

After going through the Technical and Sporting regulations there is not one that directly refers to the differential and the only one aside from the “Traction Control” regulation that may apply is the one regarding drivers driving unassisted, which means that the differential can be changed by a pre-programmed run plan for each corner (just as Renault was caught doing with their Brake Bias).

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
diffuser wrote:
mwillems wrote:

That was a good thought, so I found this video of Valteri Bottas discussing the diff, and how when changed during a cornering phase, can add (or lose grip) quite instantly, it's not fully definitive, but it does seem to be suggesting in corner changes. But this was the 2019 wheel so I don't know if what is allowed has changed since then.

I posted a video of Daniel Ricciardo changing his differential settings during Qualifying during Bahrain’s race last year... So, it’s confirmed that they change it while on track, not sure where the confusion is :)

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
06 May 2021, 00:54
mwillems wrote:
diffuser wrote:

I posted a video of Daniel Ricciardo changing his differential settings during Qualifying during Bahrain’s race last year... So, it’s confirmed that they change it while on track, not sure where the confusion is :)

I think your videos are showing as not available, that may be part of the confusion, so there wasn't anything definitive that I could see. Whether they were showing like that before I don't recall but it could just be a timings issue. But hey, we can all have our own perspectives or be stubborn if we want, I'm not averse to that and I think probably you aren't too ;)

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote: That was a good thought, so I found this video of Valteri Bottas discussing the diff, and how when changed during a cornering phase, can add (or lose grip) quite instantly, it's not fully definitive, but it does seem to be suggesting in corner changes. But this was the 2019 wheel so I don't know if what is allowed has changed since then.

I think your videos are showing as not available, that may be part of the confusion, so there wasn't anything definitive that I could see. Whether they were showing like that before I don't recall but it could just be a timings issue. But hey, we can all have our own perspectives or be stubborn if we want, I'm not averse to that and I think probably you aren't too ;)
This are always great discussions! Always something to learn and at least for me, the reason why I joined the forum :)

Try this link:

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
06 May 2021, 02:00
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

This are always great discussions! Always something to learn and at least for me, the reason why I joined the forum :)

Try this link:

It's the same unfortunately, unavailable for me.

Herr_Koos

mwillems wrote:
06 May 2021, 11:50
SmallSoldier wrote:
06 May 2021, 02:00
mwillems wrote:

Try this link:

It's the same unfortunately, unavailable for me.
When it takes you to the "Video Unavailable" screen, just click the "Watch on Youtube" link. Or search for the video on Youtube using the name.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare